mack_p's profile

Mentor

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 6:57 PM

Are HDMI or component cable better for U-verse?

Are HDMI or component cable better for U-verse?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

The answer is, your results may vary.  Because image quality is primarily in the eye of the beholder, some people say HDMI is better with sound and video quality.  With HDMI you can also connect the STB to your surround sound receiver for surround sound audio.  And then connect the surround receiver to your tv with an additional HDMI cable.

With Component you would have to connect the red, green, and blue cables directly from STB to your tv, and would also require using a stereo rca cable to connect the audio to your tv or receiver for 2 channel stereo.  Or use an optical audio cable from the STB to your surround receiver to get surround sound audio.  Some people have posted that they have tried both and saw no difference.  Others stated their preference for one or the other.

Employee

• 

82 Messages

11 years ago

Both HDMI and Component are capable of handling the HD signals that we stream in 720p and 1080i currently we do not offer content in 1080p. The main difference between the two are as followed.

HDMI

• Has one connector that carries audio and video
  • Digital signal from device to TV

Component

• Needs several connections to carry audio and video
  • Analog signal from device to TV

There is no correct answer on which is actually better for U-verse viewing, if one doesn't suit your need the best thing then is try the other.

(Note on some occasions HDMI cables do not work well with our receivers and component cables are the best for viewing content)

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

HDMI vs. Component Video | PCWorld

If you're not sure with what type of cable you should use to connect your cable box or DVR to your HDTV, consider these issues:

Available ports: What can you most easily spare, an HDMI or a component port? My guess is your television has more HDMI ports.

Component Video ConnectorsComponent Video ConnectorsEase of installation: One HDMI connector carries full video and audio signals. Component video requires three plugs for video alone. You'll need other plugs--possibly on other cables--to connect the audio.

But really.. does anyone still uses components?!?!?! :smileylaugh:

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Stereo components?  Well, not so much.  My Component carousel CD player has quit working correctly, so right now the only things I have connected to my amplifier inputs are my DVD player, my Wii, and the U-verse STB.

And all three are connected via component cables.

Former Employee

• 

120 Messages

11 years ago

HDMI is better.

It transfers data signals faster.

Both audio and video signals are carried out in one cable, ergo, less wirings, less points of failure.

Though YPbPr cables are still okay to use, especially that they can be used to carry out HD signals,

One PRO about component cables, they are way cheaper than HDMI. :smileygrin:

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

It depends on your situation and which will look and perform more effectively for you.  As stated abot HDMI means fewer cables but Component cables are less expensive than HDMI cables.  People have posted issues using HDMI cables of freezing and or audio dropouts.  If you use HDMI cables audio and video travel through one cable, using Component cables (red, green, and blue rca cable) you will have to use an optical audio cable for surround sound or red and white audio cables for 2 channel stereo.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

HDMI can carry higher capacity that Component (e.g.. 1080p), but when carrying a signal that component can handle, they transfer data at the same speed.  Since there is no U-verse content is 1080p, there is no difference in speed for this application.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.