Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT Installer Drilled a Hole Through My House

ATT Installer Drilled a Hole Through My House

I am so upset that the AT&T installer drilled a hole through my family room wall and all the way through the exterior siding of my house. This is detrimental to the value of my home and destructive. No sealing was done, just a hole through my house. Customer service heard my complaint and never responded back... That is absolutely sloppy work. I would be happy to send a photo or have a representative come and observe what was done. Please advise

Message 1 of 24

Re: ATT Installer Drilled a Hole Through My House

I contacted AT&T by telephone and reported this. They said they would be back in contact and have not. Posting to the forum seemed my last recourse with no response from AT&T Customer Service by phone. I did have to handle the "fix" of sealing the hole myself. It really shouldn't be a customers responsibility to mop up after work that should have been done by the paid "pro". 

Message 16 of 24
Scholar

@Holeinhousel wrote:

Thank you, ham3843! I was also surprised by some of the comments. Besides the hole in a conspicuous, sloppy place, the portal of entry for weather, insects and breach in insulation was egregious. Being a single mom working hard for my greatest investment, this was outrageous. When a "professional" is hired to lay cable, install hardware, etc, a certain standard of care and professionalism is expected. I had no idea the hole was open and exposed until the guy left. The inside hole was also sloppy with drywall shredding etc... I do appreciate your words of support. I don't expect anything from ATT, while they defend their work. This is my first post as an unsatisfied consumer and wanted to share with others in the event they may be able to prevent such work in their home. Best Regards to You

You're welcome holeinhousel!

The only thing I will say in defense of the premtech is that AT&T makes work schedules that are nearly impossible for the techs to meet without trying to cut corners, so human nature being what it is, they tend to cave instead of pushing back...The premtech should have given you his cell phone number and asked you to call him back personally if there were any issues, this does two things, it makes the resolution of any issues much quicker than calling back to the main customer NO service number and I believe that the premtech won't be penalized for failing to perform the install correctly...

Would you please post back with any other updates you have? Thanks, it might help others..

If you can't get satisfactory resolution here, please PM me and I will provide you with a contact in the executive offices at AT&T Corp HQ in Dallas, TX. 

Message 17 of 24
Scholar

@Holeinhousel wrote:

I contacted AT&T by telephone and reported this. They said they would be back in contact and have not. Posting to the forum seemed my last recourse with no response from AT&T Customer Service by phone. I did have to handle the "fix" of sealing the hole myself. It really shouldn't be a customers responsibility to mop up after work that should have been done by the paid "pro". 

Did the premtech ever provide you with his direct contact personal cell number and ask you to call it if there were any issues? It's certainly certainly doesn't seem like he did what is typical from what I know. 

I'm glad you checked out his work and sealed up the exposed area....nobody wants pest damage or possible cold air freezing pipes that might be nearby!

I'm very disappointed by the snide and sarcastic attitude of ACE members here lately, they are being defensive instead of prodiving any worthwhite information...not a good thing, and while they are NOT AT&T employees they are unofficially touted as being members that customers can rely on to provide some solutions to problems.  Not all of them are like that but quite a few, perhaps AT&T needs to yank their ACE status...It makes the community look bad .

Message 18 of 24
ACE - Master

@Holeinhousel wrote:

To discuss the poor workmanship directly with AT&T, I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 24
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

I am submitting photos of the entry point at my house for consideration.  I will tell you that this was done over 8 years ago & I've never had an issue with weather or bugs getting in.  Also note that the installer drilled directly into a brick which is logical since the wire is too big to go into the mortar joint.

2016_0331_1611_14.jpg

The photo above indicates that the small plastic disc on the right is not sealed to the hole and can be moved but it will stay if no one touches it.  Thankfully, no ants have figured that out.  The hole on the left was sealed and the black washer thing stuck down.

2016_0331_1611_23.jpg

As you can see by this photo, the black 'washer' on the right stays in place when it's positioned properly.  Perhaps the prem tech forgot the silicone seal at the time of install.

Is this a poor job?  Is detrimental to the value of my property?  Have there been issues with critters and weather?  The answer to all three questions is "no".

That being said, I'd love to see a photo of the OP's install for comparison.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 24
Scholar

That photo shows "acceptable" quality work, but again why wouldn't the premtech use the AT&T recommended silicone sealer to finish the job, glad that the ants or other pests haven't figured out the way in through that unsealed gap when the cabling enters....Lucky you. 

Message 21 of 24
Employee

The why is guessing, only the tech knows. But a likely guess, is tech simply did not have the sealant on the truck...

Running out of "minor" items is very common and trying to get restocked can take days if not weeks if a backlog exists.

NIDS, branded jacks, the biscuits for the jacks if cannot fish the wall, data cables, HDMI cables, remotes, guides, bseal, protectors, power supplies. 

Before the company quite issuing the Belkin Battery Units, not uncommon to go 4-6 weeks with none in garage. Techs are supposed to order own stock, but does not mean stock reaches them. Two days off, your stock comes in on an off day your boxes will be opened and items missing as they try to scavange for supplies. End of each quarter is always the worst.

2nd guess, moved on in job, simply overlooked... Has happened to me. Manager doing post inspection sees the inside of NID is sealed but the IW entry is not, clearly some sealant was in techs hand but the hole got missed.

3rd as stated, cutting corners to meet efficiency. Bonus, normally manager bonus is dependent on the "crew" netting certain matrixes, efficiency is a big one in all departments from sales, to support, to techs. Consider the company has about 280,000 employees, lets say at an average of $20 per hour. what does 15 minutes per employee mean? $1.4 million dollars.

Just my thoughts.....

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 22 of 24
ACE - Expert

...and FYI...I'm not going to be upset about the lack of sealant (especially after all this time!).  I'm thinking a little hot glue in the hole (I don't have any silicon sealant) and squish the black disc in place.  Wouldn't that work? 

Message 23 of 24
Scholar

@my thoughts

I'm pretty sure you're a premtech or line tech?

Pretty accurate rundown and summary of how things work for the premtech line tech...

You might have seen my posts regarding how harsh working conditions are for AT&T 

prem and line techs....I sympathize and understand how things get missed and rushed.

I don't blame the techs for the issues, but the top management for setting unrealisitc goals and trying to be so efficient that it ends up causing problems in the real world...Too many MBAs without actual real world work experience making the policies and setting the goals.

That is a receipe for long term disasters. 

Message 24 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support