Avandalay2013's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 4:27 PM

live tv on ipad

Does anyone know if watching live tv on the ipad uses up one of the four live tv streams on the home tv? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

marcindublin - Latest news from Becky - Looks like some channels allow only home network others allow any network. Of course, everyone wants download to watch anywhere.

Copy/paste from a post by Beckyww -

Just crossed my desk:

All About... Live TV From Your Device
What is it? U-verse TV subscribers will now be able to use the U-verse app or Uverse.com to tune into live TV programming. Please note: The type of access varies by network. Some networks have provided rights only within the home (member must be connected to residential gateway). Other networks are providing access both in and out of the home.

What networks are participating? We will launch with live access to approximately 108 channels. Of those, 25 will be available outside of the home. Sample channels that are participating:
Travel Channel
HGTV
Food Network
Showtime
Starz
Content is based on the subscription package. If the customer’s package does not include a particular channel, they will not be able to access it on the U-verse mobile app or through Uverse.com
Programming watched inside the home doesn’t count against the Customer’s number of streams

How does the customer access it? By signing in to uverse.com or the U-verse app. Access is authenticated by the customer’s log-in and password. This is no change from the current experience today for Live on Uverse.com or On Demand across platforms.
When does this launch?
U-verse App: Existing subscribers will need to update their app to the latest software release to receive these changes. New subscribers will receive the live TV feature with initial app download.
Uverse.com: Upon visiting the LIVE TV page (Uverse.com/Live) users will be encouraged to Sign-In and are then presented with the option to install a browser plugin that will help to identify the subscriber’s connection location.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

835 Messages

8 years ago

Learn how to access over 225 U-verse TV live channels available on Uverse.com, with over half of these channels available to watch anywhere.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Avandalay2013 - It does not use any streams because it is not possible. The u-verse app for ipad allows viewing of selected shows - the equivalent of uverse.com, which would also be possible on the ipad via a browser if it was possible to load adobe flash on an ipad.

If you have an ability to watch live, please post how to do it.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

11 years ago

First there is the WATCH ESPN app that lets you watch live sports on all ESPN ( ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) channels and then there is the ISWIFTER Browser that lets you watch live tv.  I watch KPRC in Housten every morning on my IPAD and I live in Detroit.  ISWIFTER has the Adobe Flash as part of its browser.  My wife was watching the Jodi Arias trial live feed pretty much every day while putsing around the kitchen.

I guess the master will learn something from the mentor.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

gmsuv - Re: I guess the master will learn something from the mentor.

Absolutely! That is the reason I am here. I learn something from every thread.

Thanks for providing the examples I asked for. They do not consume any TV streams because they are delivered on the internet bandwidth. They do consume the 3/6/12/18/24 bandwidth - whichever internet package you subscribe to. You can also access them from any wi-fi access. In which case they would not consume any of your bandwidth.

My original post was focused specifically on the u-verse app which is more closely associated with the channels delivered on the four streams. Thanks again for the reminder that there is a lot more content available on the web.

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

11 years ago

If you log into Uverse Online you can watch CNN FOX using the ISWIFTER Browser and many more channels.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

11 years ago

@gmsuv wrote:

If you log into Uverse Online you can watch CNN FOX using the ISWIFTER Browser and many more channels.

So if you are watching the programs online then they are being offered live at the network's sites and not through the Uverse service.  Thanks for the info about the browser having flash, so that more Ipad users can download it.  I also recommend downloading VLC media player also.  This player will play back just about anything.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

UVERSE IS TERRIBLE. Get your act together and get a true iPad App that allows live streaming. I pay a RIDICULOUS amount of money for my uverse service, and this is a feature that BOTH DirecTV and BrightHouse offer.

IF YOU READ THIS DO NOT GET UVERSE

Guru

• 

675 Messages

10 years ago

OK, I'll go back to the original question. I'm watching a program live on my iPad, and live on TV (there is a bit of a lag). Is this not "live" tv on the iPad? And if it is, does it count as one of the streams? I would guess not because my device is connected via wifi?

Thanks

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

JiminSTLouis - The simple answer is No because you are watching streaming over the internet, you are not watching a "tuned" U-verse TV channel (stream). It's the same as watching u-tube or any other video streaming services. Which comes back to how is it done - via an app (u-verse or other) is limited by the app. You are not listening in on the U-verse channel you are getting the show that the icon says is currently available. It is not possible to do it via a browser because IOS does not support adobe flash player. I can watch any streamed video accessible via a browser on my computer connected to my TV via HDMI.

If you are watching live TV on your ipad because it is mirrored from a smart TV or other device that is fed from the output of an STB, then yes, you are using a u-verse TV stream.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.