iPad app behind my router

Teacher

iPad app behind my router

Has anyone to get the iPad app to work with their own router? I'm forced to use my own wireless router due to the 2wire being placed in my basement and not having enough coverage to reach my upper floors. It looks like the app is using multicast to connect to the stb. Has anyone tried to configure igmp/pim to get the iPad app to work from a network other than thr RG?
Message 1 of 23 (9,648 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: iPad app behind my router

I do not believe that the mulitcast routing has anything to do with the iPad's communications with the STB.

The problem is that when you've got your own router serving your Wireless network via the DMZplus configuration, routing into the IPTV 192.168.1.0/24 subnet isn't happening.  I'm not sure that you can configure the RG to route traffic from the DMZplus into the rest of your network (or vice versa).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 23 (8,295 Views)
Tutor

The above post indicates multicast routing resolves the issue. However, I have a Linux based router running suse, unlike the posted solution.

Message 17 of 23 (8,209 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

I do see that is part of the configuration.  And, to be honest, I do not know exactly what protocols or addresses the application uses to communicate with the STB.  Maybe we can get someone who has wiresharked the protocol to let us in on the secret.

I am still waiting on an SDK for Android devices.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 23 (8,191 Views)
Tutor

I am guessing telling the LAN router that the RG is a protocol independent multicast neighbor is the trick.  The app broadcasts to  its subnet asking the uverse RG where the STBs are on the network.  Usually this will fail if your app is on a different subnet, but the above post indicates if your router considerably the RG to be a protocol independent multicast neighbor, then broadcast packets may be routed to the RG and vice versa.  That's my guess.  It seems to be protocol agnostibroader harps this acts as some sort of all purpose broadcast relay, but I don't know.  That is my guess.

Please chime in if anyone knows how to setup a protocol independent multicast neighbor under lineup Linux.

Message 19 of 23 (8,177 Views)
Contributor

The U-verse box & the ipad do use SSDP protocol (239.255.255.250 group address) to see each other. The Suse box likely see's this protocol and propogates it accordingly (without routing multicast).

Message 20 of 23 (7,876 Views)
Contributor

Bit of a newbie - weekend router junkie....so unfortunately I have not been abel to translate the ASA commands to Juniper/ NetScreen SSG5 FW/ router....

Does anyone have the multicast config to make this work with an SSG5 behind the AT&T RG?

Message 21 of 23 (4,596 Views)
Teacher

mwseifert wrote:

UPDATE:

I updated my access-list line to:

access-list acl_out extended permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 239.255.255.250

...and it still seems to work fine, and may be more secure if you're running your router under DMZPlus mode.

For those of us without a Cisco ASA or PIX, is there a way to setup firewall, port forwarding, static routes, anything to get the packets on the subnet under the DMZ.

Message 22 of 23 (4,214 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Just installed verse gigapower--no "go" access

[ Edited ]

This stupid forum applied my post to another thread. Smiley Mad

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 23 of 23 (2,156 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.