chkptco's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 5:16 AM

iPad app behind my router

Has anyone to get the iPad app to work with their own router? I'm forced to use my own wireless router due to the 2wire being placed in my basement and not having enough coverage to reach my upper floors. It looks like the app is using multicast to connect to the stb. Has anyone tried to configure igmp/pim to get the iPad app to work from a network other than thr RG?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

You could try turning your router into an access point by connecting it using a LAN port instead of the WAN port and turning off DHCP.  You'd need to disconnect and reconnect all your devices to they'd get a new IP address from the RG.

I'm not sure this would work, but it should.

Adventurer

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

You could try turning your router into an access point by connecting it using a LAN port instead of the WAN port and turning off DHCP.  You'd need to disconnect and reconnect all your devices to they'd get a new IP address from the RG.

I'm not sure this would work, but it should.

I have my Linksys router set up as an access point, using DHCP from the RG, and the iPad app still can't see the receivers when connected to the Linksys.  The ony way I have been able to get the iPad app to work is to set up a second wireless network using the RG, then connect the iPad to the new network.  So I have 2 wireless networks, and move the iPad back and forth as needed.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

I don't know what protocol(s) the Uverse Connected Apps use to locate the STB's.  It may be that they either multicast IP or some sort of non-IP 802.11 protocol.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I was just able to get this working behind a Cisco PIX firewall (probably more advanced then you need, I keep it between my home wireless and the ATT LAN & reciever). Yes this can work, but you need a device either supports multicast (udp on address 239.255.255.250 port 1900) or specifically supports the SSDP protocol. I'm not sure how or how well consumer devices support SSDP but hopfully this helps.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Can you post the configuration details on this?  My LAN sits behind a Cisco ASA 5505.  If you got it working with your PIX, I imagine I might be able to do the same.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

scootermini....any chance you can share your running config on the PIX?

I have a couple of "non-consumer" routers/firewall i'd like to get this working with.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I too want to know how to do this. I'm using an Untangle router behind the U-verse Gateway, and just got the new iPad, which can't access the STB since I'm using a different router. Would love to find a solution.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

After much messing around, I actually have a working configuration for the iPad app with my Cisco ASA 5505 (the next-gen PIX). I'll post the config lines I added. I must admit that in my messing around, I haven't had to time to determine which of these lines are crucial, and which ones might be unnecessary. Nevertheless, without further ado....

Notes:

1) The U-verse RG is 192.168.1.254 on its inside network.

2) The Cisco ASA is configured for DMZPlus mode in the U-verse RG firewall. Given that, the IP address of the Cisco's outside interface is actually the public IP, even though the RG's internal network is routable from behind the Cisco.

3) My Internet network (and wi-fi AP, and iPad) is behind the Cisco. The U-verse STB's are out on the RG's 192.168.1.0/24 network and directly connected to the RG's switch.

4) On my Cisco ASA, I named the list "acl_out".  If you already have a different access-list assigned to the outside interface, you can use that instead.

Here are the config lines. Feel free to update my config if you find a better one:

multicast-routing

access-list acl_out extended permit ip any host 239.255.255.250

(* note, I've wondered if I should instead change "any" to "192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0" because I'm running DMZplus...not sure)

access-group acl_out in interface outside

mroute 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 outside

pim rp-address 192.168.1.254 bidir

(* note, if this command it necessary, the "bidir" seemed to be the key to making it work)

For those on other routers, what I'm telling the Cisco ASA is to turn on multicast routing, allow access from the outside to the multicast IP 239.255.255.250, route multicast requests to/from 192.168.1.0 via the outside interface, and set up the RG as a "Protocol Independent Multicast" routing neighbor to the Cisco. Curiously if I do a "show pim neighbor" it doesn't show any on the ASA, but otherwise, this config seemed to make the whole thing work.

You'll know it's working in the iPad app if when you go to settings and tap "Receivers", it prompts you to tune your STB's to channel 9301 for setup.  You'll need to do this with each STB that you want the iPad to connect to.  A couple of my STB's needed reboots due to provisioning errors, but afterwards I got everything set up and I have to say, it's kinda neat.  Happy trails!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

UPDATE:

I updated my access-list line to:

access-list acl_out extended permit ip 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 239.255.255.250

...and it still seems to work fine, and may be more secure if you're running your router under DMZPlus mode.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting your solution to help others. Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.