wmtheel's profile

Scholar

• 

117 Messages

Saturday, February 8th, 2014 3:04 AM

iPad Air/HDTV ?

When I sign onto the U-Verse on line app, with my iPad Air, I am able to watch all of the available U-Verse movies, series, etc.  My problem comes when I connect my iPad to the HDTV.  (HDMI cable from HDTV is connected to iPad with HDMI Lightning Digital AV adapter)

The screen is the same on the HDTV and iPad screens, until I click on the "watch" button to view a show or movie.  In place of the picture, a message, on both sceens, appears that reads, "Not allowed to play video, an external display is detected."  When I remove the adapter, I can watch the movie on the iPad screen. 

If I don't use the U-Verse app and switch to an HBO, or other comparable app ... I can watch movies on the big screen, using the adapter.  Can someone please tell me how to correct this U-Verse on line issue?  Thanks.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

wmtheel - I believe there is no resolution because it is that way by design because at&t believes it is not included in their contractual agreements.

Another restriction is you can watch some live shows anywhere and some are restricted to your home. All are restricted from big screen.

It does not make sense because you can watch on the big screen via an STB or uverse.com on a browser on a computer. Use that to save a stream.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

intentional block ! are you kidding me ? whats the point of the app ? if the xfinity app supports the lightning adapter i am goin with that !  im definatly shopping ! 

bad form att,,,,,

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

@junebug92x wrote:

intentional block ! are you kidding me ? whats the point of the app ? if the xfinity app supports the lightning adapter i am goin with that !  im definatly shopping ! 

bad form att,,,,,

It is likely that it's in the terms of the deal between the providers and AT&T.  They got a slightly reduced rate for the multi-screen access by preventing its use to drive a large screen.

I think also that included in this thought process is that you could set up an iPad for a friend across town and they could use it to watch HBO (etc.) on their TV for free without having to pay for service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.