klfricke's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, September 16th, 2013 10:46 AM

Windows 8 app for Uverse

I LOVE my Windows 8 Lumia 940 phone, but am shocked there is no U Verse app .  How can this be, since ATT Wireless SELLS my phone?  When can I expect to lose my Third World status with Uverse?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have a Nokia 920 with Windows 8.1 and cannot use the mobile App nor the online site.  Windows phone does not have flash player.  When I first went with the Windows Phone 7 ATT had an app for Windows phones to use Uverse,  Now Att has decided to create an app that only works on Apple and Android.  They are also doing away with UVerse Media Share and are only going to use an app called Jukebox.  Quess what?  It too doesn't work on Windows phones.  ATT has offered me the chance to upgrade ny phone, at a total cost of close to $700 (Next program for 30 months).  I feel this is almost a bait and switch move to get loyal customers to switch to the new program and spend more money.  I feel ATT has fallen very short in taking care of its customers in the case.  Looking at other mobile options.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

But an iPhone or iPad! Seriously, it has EVERYTHING to do with market share whether you like to hear it or not. Eventually, they will develop an app for the Windows platform but it likely isn't worth it at this point. Developing an app is NOT a simple task and it costs quite a bit of money... I'm not talking thousands of dollars, more like millions or tens of millions of dollars. Then you have the security issues and since Uverse is a voice delivery platform, there are additional security issues and compliances that have to be met.

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

9 years ago

Way too many startups including teens, college students and every entity in
between develops apps so it can't be that expensive. I know your thing is
why don't do my own, well if I could I would. Market share has nothing to do
with it. They have sold enough Windows phone to make it worthwhile.
Especially considering it's their own customers. Let us just agree to
disagree.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

I believe this conundrum was answered in the second post, but was not recognized because it is a simple basic reason (which was not mentioned in the post).

Apps are for simple/primitive portable device OS's not computer level OS.

There are no apps for MAC OSs because the equivalent support is on a browser or stand alone programs - In this case, browser access to  http://uverseonline.att.net  or uverse.com.

The iphone/ipad OS is more primititive than the MAC OS. It does not fully support browser  access to functionality. Therefore, it uses simplistic apps to do a single function.

Apps can apply to other minimal OSs on portable devices. But, windows 7 & 8 are fully robust computer OSs, equivalent to MAC OS. Therefore, access is easily accomplished via a browser. There is no need to build a focused app to accomplish the same thing.

It should be a good thing that some portable devices have a robust computer level OS to access anything available on a computer. Seems like people prefer a gazillion simple little apps (most of which I find seriously deficient) than one generic browser to accomplish almost anything you can imagine.

The equivalent to a page full of app icons to select from would be a folder of bookmarks in a browser.

If the web access via browser is not working well, then work to have that improved or repaired.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Why should market share have any bearing on a paid for service!? They also should put a disclaimer (apple and Android only) at the end of the commercials I see 10+ times a day!!! They should let a third party make the app they would prob do a better job anyway! Ex Rudy Huyn, Lazyworm

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

9 years ago

@Jobdude1971 wrote:
But an iPhone or iPad! Seriously, it has EVERYTHING to do with market share whether you like to hear it or not. Eventually, they will develop an app for the Windows platform but it likely isn't worth it at this point. Developing an app is NOT a simple task and it costs quite a bit of money... I'm not talking thousands of dollars, more like millions or tens of millions of dollars. Then you have the security issues and since Uverse is a voice delivery platform, there are additional security issues and compliances that have to be met.

Don't have an iPhone or iPad or anything to do with Apple but this was just announced:
Uverse app announced

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

And the headline for that new app linked above...

AT&T updates U-verse TV app with universal support and new design. (emphasis mine)

But the whole article ONLY mentions apple and IOS.  How is that universal support? 

Still no windows app.  This really stinks.  Come on ATT, not every mobile device is IOS or Android. 

As far as market share.  If just 10% of their 81 Million ATT wireless customers have windows phones or tablets, Well over 8 MILLION customers out in the cold.

edit:  Ok. It appears that worldwide, windows phones have 3-4% of the market.  Still @ 3% that equals  roughly 2.5 million customers in the US that cannot use thier uverse accounts on their mobile devices to the fullest extent. 

Controlling DVR.  pffttt.  Who cares?  I want to watch my TV sitting on the beach, in an airport, or anywhere else I may be at the moment. Just like the most favored class of Iphone and Android users. 

Plus, Windows users still have to pay full amount for ATT services, but don't get full service. We are not getting what we pay for.   What do you call that?  You know, when you pay for something but don't get what you paid for...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.