Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Watch ESPN App Issue - "User Not Authorized" Error

Tutor

Watch ESPN App Issue - "User Not Authorized" Error

I'm a U-200 subscriber, I get all of the ESPN channels on u-verse.  I recently moved to Kansas City from Chicago, and since the move I haven't been able to access Watch ESPN online.  I've tried from my laptop, phone and two different tablets.  I just get the User Not Authorized error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I don't have time to spend an hour on hold waiting for tech support.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 140

Re: Watch ESPN - User not authorized error

Thanks. I'm aware I can watch ESPN3 on my browser on a computer. I'm trying to watch it on the app on my iPhone. That's the problem.

In this instance, I needed to leave the house for a while, so I wanted to be able to follow the game on my phone. I couldn't do that because of this error.

Message 16 of 140
Contributor

Watch ESPN, HBO Go, Starz, Max GO, Etc. Not allowing me to watch says I am unauthorized

I have the U450 Package and I should be able to use HBO Go, Watch ESPN and apps of that nature to watch shows and games that happening. It is giving me the message that I am not authorized to play the content. I have called technical support a few times about the issue and no one here seems that they can help me. I pay a lot of money for the U450 and I would like to know has anyone else had this issue and if they can help me get past it. Thanks.

Message 17 of 140
Contributor

Re: Watch ESPN, HBO Go, Starz, Max GO, Etc. Not allowing me to watch says I am unauthorized

Same exact issue. Would love to speak to someone who knows what's going on.

Message 18 of 140
Expert

Re: Watch ESPN, HBO Go, Starz, Max GO, Etc. Not allowing me to watch says I am unauthorized

Both of you should contaact ATT  Customer Care for help.  Click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your apps not working situation.

Include your name, account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 19 of 140
ACE - Professor

From a recent thread;

Apr 15, 2014 3:16:17 PM

Scholar

During registration for HBO GO you initially supply the username and password for the account attached to your Uverse account -- the one that you use to sign-in and view your bill.  This is how you get verified between the systems so that you actually *can* use HBO GO -- meaning: you are a paying subscriber.

When you *complete* your HBO GO registration, it asks for you to choose an HBO GO specific username and password which you will use every time you want to log in to their site.

You should always be logging in with the e-mail account that you use to access your bill, obviously, since sub-accounts are not allowed with AT&T.  Per the HBO GO Help section:

Can Sub-Accounts access HBO GO?

If your television provider offers Sub-Accounts, they should be able to access HBO GO. Please note that some television providers block sub-accounts from accessing HBO GO.

If I recall correctly you have to verify your uverse account with ESPN before you can watch the app. Have you done that yet?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 140
Contributor

Yes, I have done all of this.

Message 21 of 140
Contributor

App not working

I'm trying to watch both the tnt and watch ESPN apps but both are saying im not authorized and need to contactuou guys. I'm a full user with tv and Internet and have used the apps before. What's happening?
Message 22 of 140
Contributor

I actually have the exact same problem as a U450 subscriber.

I've had my U-Verse account for 4 years with no issue accessing HBOGo, showtime anytime, watch espn, starz, cinemax, amc, etc.

I moved in January and since then I get this error message for all online streaming services other than uverse online.

I've contacted AT&T multiple times regarding this and there last "resolution" earlier this week was I have to create a seperate account for all these services and not use my u-verse login that I've always used.  This obviously makes no sense since you have to login using your TV provider account to view this.

At this point I'm getting ready to just cancel my account and change providers as the main reason I pay so much a month for TV is due to alot of travel and I used to be able to use these services to watch what I wanted on the road.

I don't think AT&T cares at all about a problem that is obviously with their system and has something to do with my transfer of services.

I've spent multiple hours on hold and trying random "tests" that obviously won't serve any purpose other than to make consumers who don't know any better think they know how to fix the problem.  It's been a very frustrating few months for a service I used to love and recommend to friends and coworkers.

Message 23 of 140

I just realized this week that I am also having the same problem when I tried to stream from AMC's site. It gives me a similar user not authorized error message. Definitely seems like an authentication problem with AT&T.

Message 24 of 140
Community Support

Re: App not working

Hi @Nechols87,

Sorry about the issues you are having accessing WatchESPN and TNT. Try uninstalling the app and reinstalling it. If still having problems, try accessing it on another device if possible. I will also be sending you a private message to look into this issue further.

-David T

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 25 of 140

Hallelujah! This just got resolved!

Thanks to the diligent efforts of someone at ESPN, they finally got AT&T to take action. It turns out the problem is in AT&T's accounts database. Apparently there are two databases, and they occasionally get out of synch for some accounts, so that the authentication service doesn't show that a subscriber has access to certain channels, even though that subscriber does.

Got a call from an AT&T tech, who had been contacted by ESPN's tech support. He forced a synch of the data on my account, and authentication now works as it should.

Perhaps this info will be of help to other people who are having the same problem. 

Message 26 of 140
Administrator

For anyone who encounters this issue, one solution that has been offered on these forums that may help you quickly and easily solve the problem is to please try changing the password for your Member ID by visiting Forgot User ID / Password. After your password is changed, please try signing on to the app you are having issues with again. If you continue to experience issues signing on, please send AT&T U-verse Care a private message by clicking here. Please include the Account number, Member ID you are having difficulties with, and some contact details to be able to authenticate your account. 

Thanks,

Dan

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 140
Contributor

WatchESPN not authorized since move

I recently moved and had my uverse service moved with me. Since then I have been getting an error message from WatchESPN that I'm not authorized to play content etc. I never got this prior to the move. Please help

Tags (2)
Message 28 of 140
Expert

Re: WatchESPN not authorized since move

@amschaefer wrote:

I recently moved and had my uverse service moved with me. Since then I have been getting an error message from WatchESPN that I'm not authorized to play content etc. I never got this prior to the move. Please help

This post should be of help to you:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Troubleshoot-Internet-Service/Watch-ESPN-User-not-authorized-error/m-p/424...

Also look at the post below this one on the link.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 29 of 140
Contributor

watch ESPN app not working with ATT

for some reason the watch ESPN app is saying that I'm not authorized to view anything through the site. It's not even allowing me to enter my user info, so I'm thinking there is a problem between ATT /the app. This is happening both to my iPhone and iPad apps.
Message 30 of 140
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support