Helpful Links

Watch ESPN App Issue - "User Not Authorized" Error

Tutor

I'm a U-200 subscriber, I get all of the ESPN channels on u-verse.  I recently moved to Kansas City from Chicago, and since the move I haven't been able to access Watch ESPN online.  I've tried from my laptop, phone and two different tablets.  I just get the User Not Authorized error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I don't have time to spend an hour on hold waiting for tech support.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 138
Contributor

Just curious on the newest updates for this ESPN app. Do you have to have at&t u verse cable to utilize this & watch live games? Currently I can watch old games/shows previously aired, but the app will not allow me to watch current live games with an error message reading "Unable to play video. You are not authorized to play this video. Please contact your provider. ". I currently have u verse internet and directv for my cable. I know directv currently has no agreement with ESPN, but what about uverse? Is it only with the cable service and not the Internet? Thx

Message 1 of 138
Employee

Re: ESPN watchnow issue

You are correct, as of Aug 5,2013 according to FaQ from espn website, you must have a video subscription from an approved TV provider, for uverse that means the u200 package or above as ufamily does not have ESPN programming.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 138
Contributor

AT&T UVERSE AND ESPN APP

I am trying to watch the ESPN app and when i select certain shows, i get this error message "You are not authorized to play this content. Please contact your provider".  I have AT&T as my cell phone carrier and AT&T Uverse as my cable provider. 

Anyone else having this issue?

Message 3 of 138
Professor

Re: AT&T UVERSE AND ESPN APP

This seems to be a common issue across a few ISPs:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Using-your-U-verse-TV-Remote/User-not-authorized-error-on-ipad-for-WatchESP...

https://forums.att.com/t5/Applications/Watch-ESPN-app-not-authorized-to-view/m-p/3529851

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Watch-ESPN-App-says-you-are-not-authorized...

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/t/2985.aspx

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Mobile-Apps/Watch-ESPN-iPhone-App-Unable-to-play-video/td-p/1...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2439478

Have you read through these threads? Some people were able to get it to work by uninstalling and reinstalling or it just magically working. It may be a problem with the ESPN app. Did you confirm that you actually subscribe to these channels?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If your issue has been resolved, please mark the post that resolved your issue as the solution. Click "Post Options" and select "Accept as Solution" to help others with the same issue find an answer.
Message 4 of 138

I get the same message but only for the sec network. Cust...

I get the same message but only for the sec network. Customer support is if no help as usual. Using an iPhone and everything is updated and logged in correctly.
Message 5 of 138
Expert

Re: Watch ESPN - User not authorized error

KMinKC wrote:

I'm a U-200 subscriber, I get all of the ESPN channels on u-verse.  I recently moved to Kansas City from Chicago, and since the move I haven't been able to access Watch ESPN online.  I've tried from my laptop, phone and two different tablets.  I just get the User Not Authorized error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I don't have time to spend an hour on hold waiting for tech support.

Click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your Watch ESPN sign in situation.

Include your account #, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 7 of 138
Community Support

Hi @KMinKC,

We have received your message and look forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

-David T

Need more help? Feel free to search the AT&T Community for great answers. You can also get immediate troubleshooting steps from the myAT&T app. Simply login, scroll and click Fix it Now! Support Tools. You can also reach out to our Chat Support 24/7.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 138
Tutor

I think AT&T has given up on trying to fix this issue.  I haven't heard anything back for over a week now, and I still don't have access.  If anyone else out there has a fix (besides changing providers), please let me know.  Very frustrating that I can't get this resolved.

Message 9 of 138

I am having the same issue. I am unable to use the Watch ESPN app and get a not authorized error whenever I try.

I chatted with Uverse tech support last night, and they told me it was a "known issue" with iOS 8.1 and above. 

I upgraded to 8.1.3, deleted the app and reinstalled it. It didn't help. I still get the same error.

Can anyone help?

Message 10 of 138
ACE - Expert

I am experiencing the same problem with Frontier. One thing I found was that it matters what channel you want to watch. You may find ESPN3 programs to play, not other channels.

Must be an ESPN problem.

I talked to ESPN on 1-888-549-3776  & they did a password reset & it seemed I could watch all channels except ESPNU. This am it looks like I am back to only ESPN3 viewing.

Frontier took a ticket on this & "promises" a fix today.

BTW this is on the browser access via a computer. Not an app on an iphone. I will have to try that.

Just tried Watch ESPN on my iphone - I logged in but cannot watch anything - not authorized.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 138
Expert

markdlogan wrote:

I am having the same issue. I am unable to use the Watch ESPN app and get a not authorized error whenever I try.

I chatted with Uverse tech support last night, and they told me it was a "known issue" with iOS 8.1 and above. 

I upgraded to 8.1.3, deleted the app and reinstalled it. It didn't help. I still get the same error.

Can anyone help?

Do you have Uverse TV w/ESPN?  If not, no Watch ESPN. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 12 of 138

Unfortunately, it effects all ESPN channels. The game I wanted to watch last night was on ESPN3, but it wouldn't let me watch it.

Message 13 of 138

Yes, I have Uverse TV and the Uverse app. Unfortunately, the game I wanted to watch was on ESPN3, so it's not available in the Uverse app and not available on TV.

Since I can watch ESPN on the Uverse app, it's only really a problem when games are broadcast on ESPN3, which isn't included in the Uverse app. 

Message 14 of 138
ACE - Expert

try on your computer browser - http://espn.go.com/watchespn/

Be sure you are signed in & select an ESPN3 show.

It just worked for me , even though it comes up unauth on the iphone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 138
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

Do you need to contact us? Chat with us!

Additional Support