Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Watch ESPN App Issue - "User Not Authorized" Error

Tutor

Watch ESPN App Issue - "User Not Authorized" Error

I'm a U-200 subscriber, I get all of the ESPN channels on u-verse.  I recently moved to Kansas City from Chicago, and since the move I haven't been able to access Watch ESPN online.  I've tried from my laptop, phone and two different tablets.  I just get the User Not Authorized error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I don't have time to spend an hour on hold waiting for tech support.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 140
Contributor

Re: Watch ESPN - User not authorized error

I'm having the same issue. Sat on the phone for over an hour with someone in tech support who asked me to call back next week and see if it's been resolved. I then realized how poor of a response that was and called back with details from this post. The next lady I spoke to had no interest in helping me at all. They said it wasn't an AT&T issue even though every app I've tried says to contact AT&T.
Message 121 of 140
Contributor

Re: Watch ESPN app not working

So I got a note from support that it had been escalated and a question as to whether it had been fixed.  Shouldn't they know?  BTW the answer is NO.  Now what ?

Message 122 of 140

Just going to have to use http://uverse.com for now until the problem is fixed.

Alex

Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
Message 123 of 140
Contributor

I can't watch ESPN3

I used to be able to watch ESPN3 through WatchESPN (computer), and through my iPhone, and iPad, now I get a 'not an authorized user' message.  My username and password are correct -- i can log into my App to view my account.  I can no longer watch HBO go through my device (tried only on iPhone).   We recently moved, which appears to have complicated the issue.  Was told to wait until new billing cycle and everything 'should reset' -- it didn't.

Message 124 of 140

Got an email from Uverse care saying they did some things on their end to resolve issues. Required me to delete cookies, delete/reinstall apps, etc. Still didn't work, but I'm glad they're starting to try some things out. 

Will post on here any successes I have; if I can give a glimmer of hope for people in the same predicament, that would spare a lot of defections to competitors.

Message 125 of 140
Highlighted
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by davidbk
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Watch ESPN App Issue - "User Not Authorized" Error

U-verse TV Apps update:

Error message when signing on to HBO Go, Watch ESPN, Showtime, and other 3rd party streaming applications:

"It is not possible to sign in at this time. Please try again later."

"User Not Authorized"

Some users may have experienced trouble signing on to U-verse TV applications recently. Our technical teams were engaged and a fix was released today.

• For this to be in effect on your devices, you must Uninstall/Reinstall the app.
  • If you accessed the applications on a browser, please delete cache,cookies, and history to remove any trace of previous logins.
  • If you still experience issues accessing these applications, please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Provide your name, 9 digit account number, and phone number so we can verify your account and assist you further.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused Smiley Sad

ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 126 of 140

Still didn't work. I'll send a PM.

I'm at work (so not on my AT&T Uverse home network), and I deleted the Watch ESPN app on my iPhone and reinstalled from the App Store. When I started the app, it asked for my provider and login info (which is good, it means all cookies and stored data were gone, as per the instructions). But after logging in, it still gives me the "user not authorized" message.

I suspect that this will happen on other devices/platforms (Xbox, laptop, Apple TV, Android tablet), so I'm not even going to bother with those. But this is going on 4 months now and it's getting ridiculous.

Message 127 of 140
Contributor

I solved the issue.

Background: I have not been able to login with my main on an app or stream since early April (Still can't login, even to this day) My Uverse.com login DOES work.

Solution: I created a sub account on the myAT&T site. After the creation of the account, it doesn't show up as 1 of my possible 30 (takes 24 hours to process). NOT true, I deleted the app and logged in to the new SUB account that I created and it's working perfectly fine now.

I know this isn't the solution everyone wants to hear. At least its a quick fix and no more USER NOT AUTHORIZED error.

Message 128 of 140

This worked for Watch ESPN! Fabulous. I previously changed my login password to see if that would trigger a resync for the passwords, but that didn't work. I'll try this at home on my other units (Apple TV, iPad, Xbox).

I did have to delete and reinstall the app, since it seems that even though I logged out of my account inside the Watch ESPN app, when I logged back in (via selecting my provider) it automatically logged into my account rather than asking me for another log in name/password.

You may have saved AT&T a defector; too bad AT&T couldn't think of this fix.

Message 129 of 140
Tutor

Thank you. This worked for me as well.

Message 130 of 140
Tutor

LChapa35-

My sincere thanks for sharing your solution and I appreciate its ingenuity.

Everyone-

Pin a medal on this guy/gal!

Message 131 of 140
Contributor

I had this probem, too.  Ultimately they said somehow my system had become "un-synched" (whatever the heck that means) and they had to "re-synch" it.  The first person I talked to, who tried everything, was not capable of doing this (not that he wasn't smart enough - he apparently did not have the access to do it); it had to go to the next level.  Once it was "re-synched," I uninstalled and re-installed the app, and it worked like a charm. Now my husband can watch the B1G Champioinship game during his conference in DC. Go Hawks!

Message 132 of 140
Contributor

This has been the most frustrating problem for the last 6 months. Ever since I had my uverse account transferred to my new home I have not been able to use the watch ESPN app because it says "user not authorized". I have spent about 4 hours on he phone with ESPN and another 4 hours with att and both sides continue to blame each other. Pretty sad this problem can't get solved.
Message 133 of 140
Community Support

Hi @Kody.curtis,

We are sorry for the issues you are having streaming WatchESPN. We will be glad to help. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Provide your name, account number, phone number so we can verify account and let us know the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the envelope.png at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-ATTU-verseCare

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 134 of 140
Contributor

LChapa35 thank you so much. You are a genius for that. I spent hours on the phone with ESPN customer care and AT&T customer care with no fix to the issue. Your suggestion worked for me.
Message 135 of 140
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support