For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
wptski's profile

Scholar

• 

158 Messages

Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 1:17 PM

WDIV news from Detroit

Anyone from the Detroit area that watches the local news on WDIV channel 4?

Several days ago they went to a new set with a dominant sky blue background.  Almost everyone's skin tones are terrible like "some" belong in Walking Dead!  I have a 40" Samsung Smart TV that's four years old and a 19" Vizio but this also shows up on a OTA TV as well.  Not sure if this is a WDIV broadcast issue/lighting change/makup problem or a U-verse issue.

I emailed them but no real address to direct this issue to but noted to pass it along to the proper department.

Some of the women on the news look almost as well as before.  Anything recorded elsewhere looks normal.  Anything recorded on that set looks bad.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

wptski - Kudos to you for giving the station feedback. It sounds like the people in charge were blinded by a glitzy new set & did not carefully analyze the technical details of what it would do to the image of the people on the screen.

When you say the OTA is basically the same , it would eliminate U-verse as a cause. But, there is a "problem" that is not a fault. It is - a quality digital signal is unforgiving. If all is right with the original capture of that signal it will look good/great. If it is not perfect, it will be obvious & disconcerting.

I can see this in sharpness - some sources are super sharp, some are not. The only difference is the original capture of the image.

Another factor is - we are used to a compromized quality & when a better quality is available it is somehow denegrated. LIke CD vs vinyl. The CD is more accurate & therefore called "harsh" by some.

My example for TV is the sharpness of the background. Older technology capture limits (limiting being a fault)  the depth of field that can be focused. Newer technology allows the whole image to be focused. I prefer a full focus over a blurred  background. But, it too, is denegrated as "a soap opera image" (something like that).

Is it right to blame the technology for a more accurate, but less pleasing, image? I think, it is the fault of the implementers for not covering all the bases to deliver the best. It is always managements fault. In this case the WDIV management.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@wptski wrote:

Anyone from the Detroit area that watches the local news on WDIV channel 4?

Several days ago they went to a new set with a dominant sky blue background.  Almost everyone's skin tones are terrible like "some" belong in Walking Dead!  I have a 40" Samsung Smart TV that's four years old and a 19" Vizio but this also shows up on a OTA TV as well.  Not sure if this is a WDIV broadcast issue/lighting change/makup problem or a U-verse issue.

I emailed them but no real address to direct this issue to but noted to pass it along to the proper department.

Some of the women on the news look almost as well as before.  Anything recorded elsewhere looks normal.  Anything recorded on that set looks bad.

Watching the 11pm news and the set looks great and they have correct skin tones.  All here on my Panasonic plasma. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

158 Messages

10 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

Watching the 11pm news and the set looks great and they have correct skin tones.  All here on my Panasonic plasma. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Hmm, unless my Samsung doesn't handle their set changes well?

Didn't watch at 11pm but did at 5pm and the female newscaster that looked good before dropped/skipped the high end makeup looked terrible now.

I noticed that certain camera shots are worse meaning wide shots covering a group of three looked bad but a closeup was better.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.