Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: User not authorized error on ipad for WatchESPN app

Teacher

User not authorized error on ipad for WatchESPN app

Anytime I try to watch a video on my iPad, I get a user not authorized error, I'm using same credentials I use on my android phone and it works fine on that platform. I need help making it work on my iPad. I have logged in, logged out and log back in, uninstalled and reinstalled application. I called AT&T and they want to charge me $40 to help :smileyangry:

Message 1 of 30
Former Employee

Hi, 3cutiger

Apologizes for the delayed response. I did some research on any WatchESPN authentication issues and I just wanted to make sure that your iPad is updated to the latest iOS software? The latest version for mobile Apple products at this time is Version "6.1.3"

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Message 2 of 30
Teacher

Morgan

thanks for replying, it is the latest iOS,yes

Message 3 of 30
Former Employee

You're welcome and thank you for confirming that.

I'm testing out a few solutions here on my end as well (I also have U-verse and I'm using the app on an iPhone). Would you mind confirming if your iPad can sign into the WatchESPN website using your browser? If so, try playing a video and see if it still gives you the "User not authorized" error message. Thank you! Smiley Happy

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
Message 4 of 30
Teacher

WatchESPN issues

I have Uverse internet and get a "User not Authorized Error" on my laptop and my iPhone

Whats the trick to getting it to work?

thx

Message 5 of 30
Community Support

Re: WatchESPN issues

Hi yimyammer,

Do you have the TV service, also? In order to have a WatchESPN through U-verse, you have to have a package with the ESPN channel.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 30
Teacher

No TV service, interne only.  We have Direct TV but it wasnt set up through AT&T, if we have DirectTV set up through ATT, does it give access?

Also, previously in this thread, you said:

"You may be on ESPN3 which is available to anyone with internet service."

I went to ESPN3 and get the same error message

thank you

Message 7 of 30
Community Support

Unfortunately, although we work with DirectTV to offer TV service, we still work as separate companies. I did some research and it appears that ESPN is only offering WatchESPN to certain companies to subscribers that have ESPN, and DirectTV is not one of them.

To answer your question about ESPN3, you need to have an account with ESPN3 to watch the events. Having a WatchESPN account provides you access to ESPN3. The ESPN3 service is regulated through ESPN, so unfortunately, just having an account with us does not provide you access to it, but these instructions should help you out:

1. Go to http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

2. Click on Watch Now.

3. Select ATT from the ISP drop down menu. Click Continue.

4. On the ATT login screen, select Sign Up Now.

5. Follow instructions to create a NEW, FREE account.

6. Go to http://espn.go.com/espn3/index

7. Click on Watch Now.

8. Select ATT from the ISP drop down menu. Click Continue.

9. On the ATT login screen, and login to ATT with the account you just created.

10. You now have access to ESPN3 video.

This worked for me before U-verse was part of the group that had access to WatchESPN. It does sound odd because you are creating an ATT account when you already have one.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 30
Teacher

Thank you very much for your timely and helpful reply.  AT&T needs to clone you infinitely

That did the trick for me, watching now on ESPN3

Well done & thanks again!

Message 9 of 30
Community Support

You're welcome. Glad we could help.

Message 10 of 30
Teacher

WHen I try to watch on browser it forces me to open app and I get same error

Message 11 of 30
Community Support

One thing that might be an issue is if you are logging in with a sub-account. I have noticed with the sub-account, it works with certain systems but not with others, mainly working on the web based version, instead of the app.

Also, you may want to try to go through the steps in this thread

It is not quite the same, as you do not get the full access of WatchESPN, but it will help determine if there may be an issue with WatchESPN on the iPAD.

Message 12 of 30
Teacher

As soon as I click the watch ESPN button, I get a screen directing me to open the app, no drop down.

I've tried doing it by requesting a desktop site, but doing it that way requires flash, which can't do on ipad

The log in isn't a sub account, same info I used on my android phone

Sent from my iPad

Message 13 of 30
Teacher

Just used same sign on info on sons iPod touch and it worked

Has to be something on my ipad wrong

Sent from my iPad

Message 14 of 30
Highlighted
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by ATTJulieCS
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

I have seen other people state the same thing, and after factory resetting their iPAD, it started working. Some were able to find the conflicting app that caused the issue. Hopefully, it will be a fix as simple as deleting a previous app.

Quite a few iPad users have been having this problem with all the providers. The best thread I could find that might help stated that if your iPad is jail-broken, something called xvcon will help with getting the app to work. Also, someone else found out that LandscapeVideos causes the WatchESPN app to not work. After he uninstalled it, it started working.

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 30
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support