jbrandon_1's profile

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

Monday, November 26th, 2012 11:21 PM

UV Realtime on Windows 8

Is there a problem running UV Realtime in Windows 8?  I recently loaded Windows 8 on my computer and now when I try to go into UV Realtime, I get the message that it is unable to connect to 2wire.  Is there something I need to do?  It was working fine before I loaded Windows 8.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

OK, I have a work-around that might enable UV Realtime to run on Windows 8.

I do not have a Windows 8 machine yet, so I have not tested this and I cannot confirm if it works or not.

1. Download WinPCap v4.1.2 from here. Save it to a known location on your Windows 8 machine.

2. Make sure you are logged on to your Windows 8 machine using an account that has local administrator privileges.  This can be the local Administrator account or another account with full administrative privileges on the machine.

3. Right-click the WinPCap installer file and go to Properties.

4. Go to the Compatibility tab.  Check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode, and select Windows 7 from the pull-down menu.

5. Check the box at the bottom of the dialog box that says Run this program as an administrator.

6. Click OK to save the settings.

7. Double-click on the WinPCap.exe installer and install WinPCap.

8. Once that installation finishes, restart the computer.

9. You can now log back on as a non-Administrator account if you need to.

10. Install UV Realtime v1.9.1 using its installer, it will skip the WinPCap installation since it is already installed.

UV Realtime should now run properly.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

UV Realtime is not yet compatible with Windows 8 because one of it's dependencies (WinPCap) is not yet compatible with Windows 8.

As soon as there is a compatible version of WinPCap, I will update UV Realtime.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks so much.  I figured there must be a problem somewhere, I hoped it was not my computer.

Thanks again.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

OK, I have a work-around that might enable UV Realtime to run on Windows 8.

I do not have a Windows 8 machine yet, so I have not tested this and I cannot confirm if it works or not.

1. Download WinPCap v4.1.2 from here. Save it to a known location on your Windows 8 machine.

2. Make sure you are logged on to your Windows 8 machine using an account that has local administrator privileges.  This can be the local Administrator account or another account with full administrative privileges on the machine.

3. Right-click the WinPCap installer file and go to Properties.

4. Go to the Compatibility tab.  Check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode, and select Windows 7 from the pull-down menu.

5. Check the box at the bottom of the dialog box that says Run this program as an administrator.

6. Click OK to save the settings.

7. Double-click on the WinPCap.exe installer and install WinPCap.

8. Once that installation finishes, restart the computer.

9. You can now log back on as a non-Administrator account if you need to.

10. Install UV Realtime v1.9.1 using its installer, it will skip the WinPCap installation since it is already installed.

UV Realtime should now run properly.

I was thinking running your installer in compadability mode would do the trick. SInce I haven't installed UVRT on my new pc yet I'll do it tonight and see how it works and give you the results.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@americangame wrote:

I was thinking running your installer in compadability mode would do the trick. SInce I haven't installed UVRT on my new pc yet I'll do it tonight and see how it works and give you the results.

That by itself won't work I don't think, because the root of the problem is that Windows 8 has new restrictions on who can install driver-level software.  Running the installer for UVRT or for WinPCap as Administrator and/or in Win7 compatibility mode is not enough ... you actually must be logged on as a user with full admin rights for the WinPCap installation to work.

Further, the installer for WinPCap that's embedded in the UVRT installer does not have the app compatibility flags set, so the WinPCap installer must be run separately by the user for it to work.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

Here are my notes for the install.

I had to install WinPCap seperately, but I didn't have to run it in compdability mode.

I ran into an issue with the RRDTool since my version of the Visual Studio x86 libraries is newer than the one in your install. Check your messages for screenshots. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Remove the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable/Runtime v10.0.xxxxx using Programs and Features, then reinstall UV Realtime.

This is a Microsoft installer issue with the Visual C++ runtime. Installation fails if a later build of 10.0 is installed on the machine.  This actually occurs on previous versions of Windows also if Visual Studio is installed.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

That did the trick. Although either RRDTool or UVRT didn't like being placed on my 2nd hard drive.  Since I put both of them on the SSD they seem to work fine now.

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

And now I see where I can locate the RRDTool manually. Guess what's moving to the D Drive!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

OK cool, so now we have a workaround for installing UV Realtime on Windows 8.

I'll try to see if this can be built into a new installer so that WinPCap doesn't have to be manually installed.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.