08-07-2014 6:46 PM
Since I was dissatisfied with the wireless provided by the uverse RG (3800HGV-B) I purchased a Unifi access point to give better coverage and wireless N. This is an access point only (it has no router functionality) and the uverse RG is still the router and DHCP server so all devices are on the same subnet. I am unable to connect any phone or tablet with the uverse app to any of the receiver boxes. Is there any way around this?
08-07-2014 6:49 PM
I have a router I have as an access point and am able to user the remote control functionality as if I were connecting to the RG. Do those features work when connected via the RG's wireless?
08-07-2014 7:06 PM
If I enable the wireless on the RG (I have it disabled) I can use the app no problem. If I connect to the other AP it can't find the receiver.
08-07-2014 7:34 PM
May I assume that they otherwise function normally when connected to the UniFi AP, i.e. can connect to the Inernet? Can they view the home page of the RG at http://192.168.1.254 ?
08-08-2014 4:37 AM
Yes. I have been using the unifi AP without problem for weeks now. I can access the RG config page from any wireless device.
08-08-2014 5:44 AM
I'm at the end of my ideas here. I'd suggest that you go here:
and ask that question. What I can add to the discussion is that the phone/receivers use the SSDP protocol (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Service_Discovery_Protocol) to locate each other, and this is likely what is not making it through the AP. This is a multicast protocol also used by UPnP. Since it's a layer 3 protocol, the AP should not know it's any different from any TCP/IP traffic and pass it just the same, but it may be doing some Layer 3 snooping (depending on the specific model number) and being "helpful."
I've also been assuming that the AP is connected directly to the RG with Ethernet cable, i.e. no other intervening routers or "smart" switches.
08-08-2014 7:32 AM
Well, after determining that the issue was not anything to do with my configuration relating to the RG I started looking into the configuration of the AP in more depth. After upgrading to the latest firmware the problem now seems to be resolved. The Uverse app can find the receiver and control it which is what I wanted. I'm not sure how it was blocking in this case; I have had no other issues of communication between wired and wireless clients including chromecast, airplay, and my home automation server which uses UDP broadcasts.
Thanks for the help.
08-08-2014 7:44 AM
Great! I'm glad you got it working, and thanks for posting that information here. They seem very reasonable in price for the feature set. We have 3 in the office, but since I'm no longer involved in the day to day management of the network, I'm not all that familiar with them.
I've toyed with the idea of getting two for the home, but I'm not sure I can talk my wife into letting me ceiling mount one in the living room.
Congratulations! You earned the Liz badge!