beatriceam21's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, June 21st, 2014 11:24 PM

Can't use my parents HBOGO account because I too use AT&T

My parents have AT&T u-verse and have the channel HBO which gives them access to HBOGO. I live on my own and also have U-Verse, but don't have the HBO channel. So, every time I try to log in it doesn't give me the option to enter my parents AT&T account and says that I'm not a subscriber. I assumed it had something to do with detecting the IP address. I called today to see if that was the issue. I talked to someone and she apologized and tried to help me, but when she couldn't she sent to some rude lady and told me it WAS the IP address and there's was nothing that could be done. No apologizes at all or thank you for being an AT&T customer. My family and I have been with AT&T for a long long long time, and when I moved to my own place I too got AT&T. Now, I'm thinking about switching services JUST so I can use my parents HBOGO account without any problems. 

I just think it's stupid that I can't use my parents account because I am also an AT&T customer, but when I try logging in when someone has Version internet it works perfectly fine. 

Employee

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

No.  It's not the right answer.  🙂  I'm at the office right now, and I'm logged into HBOGO.  Here's what's probably happening...(this is a technical, educated guess, not necessarily the case).

Your parents' U-Verse gateway has an IP address associated with it.  I would bet that IP address is connected to your U-Verse account info...inside the account info is some sort of marker that says "This subscriber pays for HBO...if an authorization request comes, grant access."

Your U-Verse gateway has an IP address associated with it.  I would bet that that IP address is connected to your U-Verse account info...inside the account info is some sort of marker that says "This subscriber does NOT pay for HBO...if an authorization request comes, deny it."

IF that is, in fact, what's happening, the only way you could use the account is if you are not using U-Verse equipment associated (by means of IP address, or it could even be the hardware address of the gateway) with a non-HBO account, or any other ISP (which I highly caution you against because AT&T is clearly the best there is).

The alternative is, of course, to pay for the service you wish to use.  I haven't read all of the TOS on HBOGO (or U-Verse for that matter), but I would bet you it's against the rules to allow anyone other than the account holder to use the account credentials.

Best luck!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am an HBO subscriber who enjoys HBOGO in my own house but find it VERY frustrating when I am not able to watch it when I travel, and I travel a lot. I am not trying to get something for free but trying to get something I was told I would get once I paid for it.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@fd3272470 wrote:

I am an HBO subscriber who enjoys HBOGO in my own house but find it VERY frustrating when I am not able to watch it when I travel, and I travel a lot. I am not trying to get something for free but trying to get something I was told I would get once I paid for it.

You should be able to watch HBOGO anywhere as long as you are not trying to watch it via another U-Verse subscriber who does not subscribe to HBO.  I sorta read between the lines that AT&T, not HBO, stopped this.  If you are using another internet provider, my gut said to contact HBO but I think that they want you to contact your home TV provider.  I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This must be an AT&T & U-Verse thing.  My brother has Direct T.V. and I'm able to watch HBO Stars Encore Showtime TNT TBS ect. by signing into his account, I can use either mobile data or wifi without any problems. LgG2 phone. I did have to d/l the apps for each channel tho. Direct T.V. "player" does not work well on my phone or p.c. Without the DTV "player" installed you cannot watch recorded shows from your dvr. But it sucks. Although you do have access to all subcribed channels if you can find an app for them.

Something else to mention

It's just like watching t.v. when use downloaded app, meaning all the commercial , promos ect. But you don't have this when you watch on  p.c. just on mobile devices.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I also think it's an AT&T block, not HBO.  I went over to a friend's house who also has Uverse but does not get Starz, and I could not get Starz to work on my laptop b/c she doesn't sub to it. It's very annoying because I DO PAY for Starz, so it's not like I'm trying to cheat the system. My friend subs to HBO so I could still watch that, but that doesn't take away from the annoyance at all.  I should be able to get what I pay for even if I am at someone's home that also has Uverse. If anything, this policy is more of a reason to hope none of your friends are Uverse customers!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

As of 10/03/2014 or before commercials are now streamed on p.c.....SUCKS!

Still NOT having any problems streaming said above channels on AT&T mobile or Centurylink as my ISP. Every 6-12 months I change ISP for the specials...lol

Believe it or not... works well with Clearwire also.(grandfathered $25 mo,unlimited)

Conclusion?  U-verse is blocking not AT&T.  Try d/l the channel app. Do not use U-Verse app if there is one. The providers "player" records I.P. and maybe it streams through the cable/dvr box and that's how they can tell?

Just guessing...I really don't know about U-Verse.

I 've also used AT&T mobile data to stream Comcast's Streampix channels, again without issue.

I make these comments on the pretense that AT&T blocks certain activities, not so. AT&T does not offer internet or is there the option of U-Verse cable here. Comcast or Frontier only.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I've had this problem while at a friend's house (she also subscribes to U-verse but not HBO). I was able to login on my ipad after turning the wifi off. Once I logged in via mobile data I switched wifi back on. Voila! Streaming Game of Thrones with no problem.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@gr9945 wrote:

As of 10/03/2014 or before commercials are now streamed on p.c.....SUCKS!

Still NOT having any problems streaming said above channels on AT&T mobile or Centurylink as my ISP. Every 6-12 months I change ISP for the specials...lol

Believe it or not... works well with Clearwire also.(grandfathered $25 mo,unlimited)

Conclusion?  U-verse is blocking not AT&T.  Try d/l the channel app. Do not use U-Verse app if there is one. The providers "player" records I.P. and maybe it streams through the cable/dvr box and that's how they can tell?

Just guessing...I really don't know about U-Verse.

I 've also used AT&T mobile data to stream Comcast's Streampix channels, again without issue.

I make these comments on the pretense that AT&T blocks certain activities, not so. AT&T does not offer internet or is there the option of U-Verse cable here. Comcast or Frontier only.

U-Verse is AT&T lol.  If you are using AT&T U-Verse as the ISP and that home also subscribes to AT&T U-Verse but not to U-450 or some package that includes HBO, it will not work.  AT&T is trying to make folks upgrade to a higher package.  While it mskes sense, it is kind of backhanded, since you may have guests or something similar.  If you have AT&T 3G or 4G wireless, you can get HBO that way and I'm sure that AT&T will help you push try to exceed the data cap to make more green.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

9 years ago

That's literally me right now and I am beyond annoyed. House owners have ATT Uverse with no HBO subscription. I have Uverse, pay for HBO, but can't access it over their internet bc the proxy automatically logs amd reroutes me and never gives me the option to actually log-in to anything using my own ATT credenials.

Employee

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

Just curious, did you try having your friend log OUT of U-Verse (log out of att.com and also log out of uverse.com), and then log IN with YOUr credentials?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.