For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
CANIPE1656's profile

Voyager

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 8:03 PM

APPS WONT WORK WITH ANOTHER INTERNET PROVIDER

I HAVE ATT UVERSE TV BUT I HAVE ANOTHER COMPANIES INTERNET SERVICE

WHY CANT I GET THE UVSE APPS TO WORK

DO I HAVE TO HAVE ATT INTERNET SERVICE

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Most of the U-verse applications state that they require AT&T U-verse HSI to function.  Part of the reason for this is that you get an AT&T ID with HSI that provides for authentication services, etc. which is not set up for a IPTV only subscriber.

Also, for the U-verse connected apps, you need a direct VLAN/LAN connection between the mobile device and the TV Receiver in order for the devices to find each other.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

Color me confused, but how can someone have Uverse TV without an AT&T internet connection.

Aren't the access teirs as follows:

Uverse Internet

Uverse Internet and VOIP

Uverse Internet and VOIP and TV

In other words, you can't get VOIP or TV unless you can get Uverse Internet (of sufficient speed).

Otherwise wouldn't they just send them to DirecTV?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

CJ- I believe the customers choices are determined by what is available "on the street".

The customer then chooses from what is available based on perceived value.

Of course, att pushes bundles to make it attractive to sell a number of (available) services, but the customer may choose fewer.

I think the restriction of requiring both TV and internet for internet access to TV is another one of those incentives.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
CJ- I believe the customers choices are determined by what is available "on the street".

The customer then chooses from what is available based on perceived value.

Of course, att pushes bundles to make it attractive to sell a number of (available) services, but the customer may choose fewer.

I think the restriction of requiring both TV and internet for internet access to TV is another one of those incentives.

I was talking about the fact that Uverse TV comes over AT&T's internet connection, so how can someone have Uverse TV without the AT&T internet service? Sure, they can get and use Comcast for all their "Web" access, but I wouldn't think that would preclude them from having to have the AT&T internet as well, for the Uverse TV.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

CJ - Are we saying the same thing - If a customer has u-verse TV and Comcast internet, it should be technically feasible that they have web access to the TV features. Since they do not it is a design decision to block it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Computer-Joe, I think I can explain.

AT&T establishes a data connection between the VRAD and the RG to provide whatever services the sbuscriber selects.  That connection is not actually an "Internet Connection," per se, it's a data connection.  The IPTV data isn't considered HSI traffic, but it uses the same data connection that the HSI traffic goes over.  Likewise, the U-verse Voice traffic isn't HSI traffic either though if they used some other VOIP service it would be HSI traffic.

The IPTV and VOIP traffic are routed off to AT&T's private network, probably at the CO.

This is similar to what an CLEC would do with a T1, providing voice lines and data channels over the same T1 circuit.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I understand the whole Internet/Intranet difference between the "Web" traffic and the "IPTV" traffic, but a data connection is a data connection, and it's just a matter of what tunnels traverse it, whether it's an IPTV tunnel, VoIP tunnel, or Internet (HSI) access tunnel.

Apparently, even though you pay for the Uverse service, which touts remote access apps, the apps are actually an upcharge, because AT&T is going to charge you for the extra tunnel on that already existing data connection (HSI service) to make them functional. So you get a service, which is not fully functional, unless you pay for another service.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Did, um, you read my post?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.