For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Justin4x482's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, April 17th, 2015 5:42 PM

Just curious if a 4k feed is anywhere in the pipeline for us?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Justin4x482 wrote:

No, until 4K HD starts coming into the mainstream, why should ATT do anything.

Recently read 4K HD reviews on PC Mag and they could not tell the difference from regular viewing distances on 4k HD from regular HD.  Only time they could see differences was from 2' from the 4k HD TV set.  Personally think it's another merchandising bust like 3D was, know I'm not gonna spend $$ for a 4K HD set. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@Justin4x482 wrote:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/25/h265-is-approved/ wrote:
With H.265, 4K streaming could be possible with as little as 20-30 Mbps of bandwidth.

Let that number sink in for a moment.  20 Mbps minimum.  That's over 3 times what U-verse currently allocates to an HD channel.  Most U-verse subscribers don't have a communication profile that would allow two streams of that at the same time.  That would also consume over 3 times the footprint of HD content on the DVR. They are not ready.  But neither is anyone else.

Add to that fact that there is exactly one 4K channel in the world at this point anyway, so...

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

9 years ago

Even when it becomes mainstream U-Verse doesnt have the bandwidth to support it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@jhy1978 wrote:

Even when it becomes mainstream U-Verse doesnt have the bandwidth to support it. 

AT&T doesn't have the bandwidth now to support.  I expect by that the time 4K became main stream (assuming it does), AT&T's bandwidth profile will be different.

Scholar

• 

93 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T U-verse needs to be more forward thinking. 4K tv's are in stores and on sale. 8K will be here at the end of this year, beginning of next.

I plan on moving my 70" to the living room & replacing it with an over 70" 4K for the family room.

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

You may want to rethink your 4K TV purchase if what you watch doesn't come in 4K. Then you're just watching the same HD content on a more expensive TV. 

There's also a CNET article about how the human eye cannot tell the difference between 4K and HD content at "normal viewing distance". 4K looks cool in the store, but you're usually doing the up close inspection 1-2 feet away. Measure the viewing distance on your current TV, then go back to the store and see how much of a difference 4K really makes - you could buy a top of the line HD set instead.

Scholar

• 

602 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T doesn't provide 1080p streams yet, why would you expect they would suddenly have 4k streams?  

For that matter almost all tv is filmed in 720p/1080i(which use roughly the same amount of data)

AT&T also heavily compresses tv streams, just like online video so it doesn't use anywhere near the maximums they claim most the time.  Which is why you can stream 4 streams without totally destroying your internet speeds.

To be fair it's not juts AT&T all of the cable/satelliate/iptv providers need to step up their infrastructure so they can provide higher stream rates, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I think you'll be lucky if gigapower users see 1080p streams by the end of 2018, but honestly it could be 2020 before even the first customers see 1080p.  if we are lucky netflix pushing 4k might force tv to follow quicker, and once you are wired ftth, then stepping up from 1080p to 4k isn't nearly as big of jump.

I also agree buying a 4k tv now is stupid, the tech just isn't there yet.  you are better off spending your money buying a better 1080p screen then a cheap 4k.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.