Why will my DSL modem not work on the U-verse Network ?

Highlighted
Explorer

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: Why will my DSL modem not work on the U-verse Network ?

Hello attuser,

Your DSL modem won't work with U-verse because DSL and U-verse use different methods of communication. DSL uses ADSL while U-verse uses a newer VDSL method. Coming over to U-verse does require a different modem, but using VDSL2, we're able to provide faster speeds and further distances than is typically possible with ADSL.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

Is wish this reply were strictly true.

Most Uverse subscribers use VDSL.  However, when AT&T decided to brand it's new ADSL2+ offering as U-verse it created confusion.  ADSL2+ modems are more typical DSL modems.

However, the answer is still true in the main, you must have modem with AT&T's U-verse firmware, which off-the-shelf DSL modems (even those that are ADSL2+ compliant) just won't have.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
Contributor

This would explain why my internet keeps dropping every few minutes on most days. And why it's slowed down a lot. Switching to Uverse is supposed to be a good thing which i appreciate. Kind of a pain though.

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the U-verse Account Page! Check out some of our helpful articles below!

You can learn about your payment options and even first bill information!

Additional Support