For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
mykids123's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 7:00 AM

Why wasn't I told about Mcafee security?

Why didn't anyone from At&t tell me about this free security that I could have put on my computers when I signed up for service? I'm very upset about this because my laptop is full of viruses now and I can't do anything about it. I tried paying someone to remove them but they couldn't. It wasn't a professional doing it but I can't afford to pay the $180 it takes for me to get support from the computer maker "Dell". I have been desperate and was going to just reset my computer to factory settings from when I bought it which was over 5 years ago. That means I'm losing all the stuff I've put on the computer since that time, so many pictures of my family. I can't get into the computer to save them or anything. The computer is really messed up. I called the maker of the computer, "Dell" and they said my service warranty ran out a while back and I needed to pay almost $200 to get them to help me with it. They ran a check on my computer and said it was full of viruses. They wouldn't do or say anything else without money. I am a single mother of 3 kids and I don't have a job or no income at all right now. I can't afford a cent much less that much money. My kids need that computer to do school work and of course teenage stuff too. Now they are always on my laptop that I'm emailing you from now. It's after 2am and the only time I can get on my own computer because of stuff they need and want to do on the other one and can't. That desktop isn't that old, I bought it just a few years ago and should have plenty of life left on it. I had Comcast for a few years and never had any problems with security or viruses on these computers. They came out and installed the equipment and put the security on the computer at the time. Why doesn't At&t do that or tell us about the Mcfee security that is free? I'm so aggravated and don't know what to do right now. If I could afford deposits to another internet company I'd switch from At&t to someone else. I'm sorry to say that, really. I've had good customer service from your company since I've had internet with you. I called a few days ago and asked someone from customer service if they could help me somehow to get my computer fixed or take some money off my bill so I can afford to get my computer fixed because they didn't tell me about the Mcfee security I could have had. I don't like to say anything or have any trouble with anybody, I'm not a mean person. I'm just at my wits end right now. This laptop is getting old so I don't know how long it will last especially with 4 of us using it all day long because they can't use the desktop. There will be no way I can get another computer because I'll never have the extra money. Please, if there is something you can do to help me I'd be very grateful. Like I said, I called customer service at At&t a few days ago and now I'm getting an email about the exact thing I was complaining about. Maybe your company listened to my complaint and are now making sure customers know about this free security they can get. I don't think it's a coincidence this email came out after I complained. I think they know that this is a real big issue that a lot people like me will realize could have caused them problems with their computers. I'm glad at&t is advertising this now but it's a little late for me. It needs to be told straight to the customer when they order internet from you. It needs to be installed on their computers by someone from the company or through the system somehow. Please help me to be able to afford to get my other computer fixed. Any amount would be appreciated that you could help me on my bill. I have to make a past due payment this Friday too. Anyway, I hope someone reads this message. Thanks for your time.
Melissa

[Edited for privacy.]

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

10 years ago

I never use McAfee. When I was with the competitor they offered me Norton Anti Virus for free and this was what I was using. Now with ATT I am not using McAfee. I just use Avast which is a free program and I also use Microsoft Essentials. I was reading the post by skeeterintexas and yes Norton really slowed down my connection when first signing in. Even Avast can make my signing in slow at times but what I did was disabled the add ons. I also set my settings for Microsoft Essentials to do a full scan on Sundays at 2:00 AM.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

You only need to run one A/V program, not multiple, MSE and Malwarebytes should be all you need. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Ya The New U-verse site sends you to the wrong site so it is very difficult to gain access to the download. Again  The new - U-verse hides things in the internet so you can't fine them.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@pschuerman` wrote:

Ya The New U-verse site sends you to the wrong site so it is very difficult to gain access to the download. Again  The new - U-verse hides things in the internet so you can't fine them.

@pschuerman` 

I have no problem accessing any site. If you are having trouble navigating to an anti-virus web site, then more than likely you have a virus on your computer that is preventing you from accessing those sites.  UVerse does not HIDE anything on the internet.

IF you are looking for the McAfee download from AT&T, here are the instructions.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

You cannot blame ATT for that issue.  I always tell my friends and family to install a virus and internet protector.  Mcafee is a option which I would not recommend.  I love using Bit Defender and have been with them for the last 3 years.  I would never used a virus scanner that is offered for free.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

@tvan001 wrote:

....  I would never used a virus scanner that is offered for free.  

There are several good virus scanners that are free.  Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG are two that I have used personally.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@tvan001 wrote:

You cannot blame ATT for that issue.  I always tell my friends and family to install a virus and internet protector.  Mcafee is a option which I would not recommend.  I love using Bit Defender and have been with them for the last 3 years.  I would never used a virus scanner that is offered for free.  

Why?  Just because it's free doesn't mean its not good.  There is no reason to spend money for an anti-virus program when the ones I listed previously are all very good and perform as well and in some cases better than pay programs.  I have not paid for an anti-virus program in about 8 years and refuse to do so.  I've also been using MSE since that time and have never had a virus. 

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

Thanks skeeter.  As a computer technical support agent, I NEVER recommend McAfee.  Out of all the ones that are available, it's the least user friendly and a huge resource hawg.

Norton is another resource hog.  When we had Comcast, they offered Norton and I used it when I didn't know any better.  I didn't realize how much it slowed my computer down until I ditched it a went with MSE.

To the OP....I'm a technologically challenged and there's a lot to learn out there.  I'm still learning.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.  If that means an infected computer, so be it. 

Consider this situation as a lesson learned.

This response is kind of late, but. Norton has really changed over the years. It doesn't even take up 1% of my CPU on task manager and I can barely tell it's running/scanning. It barely makes a large difference in how fast my computer runs. It's also one of my lowest memory usage programs running. I can also say myself that Norton blocked items that Malwarebytes didn't. I think that Norton and Malware Bytes work well together. Norton is a very decent program nowadays and is no longer a resource hog and actually has decent enough protection.To be honest, I actually liked it more than Avast. I don't know why Avast gets such high praise most of the time(I haven't tried MSE yet). In my experience, Avast didn't really "catch" anything and only liked to detect false positives and random items that weren't even harmful. I used to have a computer with a nasty infection and Avast did nothing about it, even AVG did better than it.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Darknessrise wrote:

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

Thanks skeeter.  As a computer technical support agent, I NEVER recommend McAfee.  Out of all the ones that are available, it's the least user friendly and a huge resource hawg.

Norton is another resource hog.  When we had Comcast, they offered Norton and I used it when I didn't know any better.  I didn't realize how much it slowed my computer down until I ditched it a went with MSE.

To the OP....I'm a technologically challenged and there's a lot to learn out there.  I'm still learning.  Sometimes we have to learn the hard way.  If that means an infected computer, so be it. 

Consider this situation as a lesson learned.

This response is kind of late, but. Norton has really changed over the years. It doesn't even take up 1% of my CPU on task manager and I can barely tell it's running/scanning. It barely makes a large difference in how fast my computer runs. It's also one of my lowest memory usage programs running. I can also say myself that Norton blocked items that Malwarebytes didn't. I think that Norton and Malware Bytes work well together. Norton is a very decent program nowadays and is no longer a resource hog and actually has decent enough protection.To be honest, I actually liked it more than Avast. I don't know why Avast gets such high praise most of the time(I haven't tried MSE yet). In my experience, Avast didn't really "catch" anything and only liked to detect false positives and random items that weren't even harmful. I used to have a computer with a nasty infection and Avast did nothing about it, even AVG did better than it.

There's a reason why Norton, or any other anti-virus program will catch things that Malwarebytes doesn't catch, they are looking for two different signatures.  I have used the combo of MSE and MWB for 7 years now and have (knock on wood) never had any infection on my computer.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

While you can't blame ATT for a virus they should have told you about their antivirus software when you signed up. This is part of what you pay for when you buy ATT and you should be told. (They don't tell you to save them money from licences?) this is normally a $60 a year program that you get when you purchase ATT internet  and its part of what you pay for. 

Obviously the ATT fanboys with 3000 posts know about this as they are... ATT fanboys... comparing your knowledge's to the OPs and then saying they should be at your knowledge level is somewhat insulting since they are just a basic consumer. And to add insult to injury you tell them you reported them. Not a great way to make a dismayed customer happy.

Also oufan all the "free" antivirus softwares you listed are not stellar. Microsoft security essentials has the lowest rate of finding viruses this is due to every major hacker testing their virus against it. The others you listed all have paid for versions and lock out most features to free users and bombard you with ads, the last thing isn't even a antivirus and none of those come with a firewall plus you want anti malware not just antivirus. What we are promised with our subscription is Mcaffe Internet Security. This is important because just antivirus like you provided does NOT protect you from things downloaded from websites and malicious emails and sites plus the added benefit of a real firewall (the microsoft one is bad). For gods sake McAffee is the 3rd best rated internet antivirus of the year on Toms Hardware and they rated it BEST FOR EASE OF USE. That's  pretty impressive. None of your free antivirus programs even made it on the top list of PC World Magazine. I've been dealing with computers for years and I would take McAfee Internet security over Microsoft Antivirus in a heartbeat. 

I don't know where the OP lives but for a single jobless mother of 3 if you live near me I would for free come and fix your pc. For the future I would install the McAffe and be sure to monitor what your kids and you are installing to make sure it doesn't happen again. I can't make ATT do anything but I sure would not want to be sending a message like this to my customers. The ATT fanboys need to really filter what they say as it normally comes off as offensive and anti consumer. It sure would not make me want to stay with att and I don't think this is what ATT is going for.

If you want any real help removing your viruses further feel free to pm or contact me and I can give in depth instructions on how to remove them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.