Get the myAT&T app
Koumaritza's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 6th, 2014 5:01 PM

What is "SPECIA FEES NON-REFUNDABLE CREDIT FEE" ?

When I received my first bill for AT & T U-verse TV and Internet services I have fell out of my chair . For one month of service AT & T claimed $ 606.52 (for bundle of $49) . On the second page of the invoice I discovered that the $ 449 deposit that I agreed to pay with my credit card has been transformed to ''SPECIAL FEES NON-REFUNDABLE CREDIT FEE'' . On this amount of $ 449 was applied $ 67.68 taxes. I called several times 1-800-288-2020. I talked to several people - agent , supervisor or bosses. They told me different stories, but never logical things.
Finally I called my bank and I was asked to suspend payment. When the AT&T '' customer service '' learned that I asked my revocation of payment, the services have been cut. Personal of my bank warned me that AT & T applies this SCAM to most of Canadian "snows burds" who had the misfortune to subscribe to the services of AT & T.
For ten days of service AT & T ask me $ 569.81, or $ 516.68 more . My bill for ten days should be $ 16.33 + $ 29 + $ 3.17 setup fee or $ 48.50 total . I demand a fair bill for pay on the spot. I feel that the personal in the AT&T '' customer service '' can not calculate much less a thought. When I asked their '' Is that you pay a bill of $ 569.81 for 10 days? They say no, we 're not crazy . So I must be crazy to pay this immoral bill .

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, Koumaritza!

Thanks for posting. The $449 credit fee is a result of the credit check that is performed before placing an order. Depending on your credit history and score, a credit fee may be required. I'm sorry this came as a surprise. If there is anything we can do, please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

The $449 was not a fee that ATT paid to check your credit report. 

The $449 is a non-refundable fee that ATT charges you because either you had very little credit or a low credit score.   The lack of having a SS number and/or not being a citizen could play into that. 

They call it a "credit" fee but it should be called a "lack of credit" or "bad credit" fee.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Koumaritza wrote:

Dear Professor (AT&T employee),
You did not say anything new. You play with words. I told you at the beginning. My credit is excellent. I have a very good service from Comcast. Comcast are smarter than you. It does not require me stupid and immoral charges as you.  For me the AT&T page is closed forever. Today I made an electronic transfer to my account $ 55.00, slightly more than the amount I owe AT&T for installation and 10 days of service ($ 48.50 - see my 1st letter).
The last time I asked 3 questions to Marianne, an employee of AT&T. I will repeat them once again:

- What is the federal or the state of Florida law that allows you to such immoral charges;
- At what point in advertising from AT&T I would have learned that the company has such hidden costs ;
- You yourself would you pay for such expenses just for the pleasure of being costumer of AT&T services;

If you are not able to answer the first two questions, it is because you have no legal right to charge your stupid ‘’special fee non-refundable credit fee’’. We live in state of rights. The rules are established by law and voted by elected people and not by sellers like you.

I have a letter from my bank. This is your bank that has decided that your bill is unfair and that the burden of $ 449 + tax is a scam. Without permission your bank I could not be repaid.

I hope someday Executive Officer of AT & T will understand what bad service you made to the company that gives you a living wage. Your forum is only a fog.

1. Ranks do not indicate employment status with AT&T. AT&T employees have a disclaimer at the bottom of their posts indicating such. 

2. The better question is "what law PROHIBITS such a charge?". If AT&T feels you will not be a reliable customer, then they don't have to provide service to you. The credit fee is a way to hedge against what AT&T feels will be unreliable customers yet still offer a way to provide service. 

3. AT&T advertises that offer are subject to credit considerations. Only those customers required to pay the fee are told specifically about it. However, it's not hidden, because the customer must pay prior to completing the order. If you the customer refuses, the order is cancelled and everyone is happy. 

4. Would I pay? No. However, other customers might feel differently. 

You mention you have excellent credit, but you also mention Canadian companies in your earlier post. Do you have an U.S. Socialy Security number? If not, that might explain why you are seen as a credit risk.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Dear Mariana,
My credit is excellant . I am a customer for several Canadian and American companies and I have never had problems with payment or credit . Your guess AT & T paid $ 449 dollars to check my credit is not all serious. For a company like AT & T, a credit check would cost less than $ 10. And if it was to check my credit , why in the invoice AT & T applied the telecommunication charges and non sales tax in Florida that is only 6% ?
I lost several hours with your employees from 1-800-288-2020. I heard different answers to these $ 449 + tax :
- '' This is a installation fee . '' - The fee is $ 29 and they were included in the bill .
- '' This is because you do not have a U.S. social security number '' - . This is discriminatory.
- '' This is to pay for AT & T devices '' - I turned your devices with UPS as AT & T had requested.
- '' It's because you had the misfortune to speak with a subcontractor to AT & T, they work this way '' - When I call the phone number , which is on the announcement of AT & T, I guess I speak with a responsible employee of aT & T and not with a small crook of a subcontractor to aT & T.
- Your guess about the credit check.
- Etc .
All these '' answers'' give me clear conviction that this billing is illegal because your '' answers '' received is not true nor logical . One of your supervisor wanted to negotiate . He had offered to pay 50% of $ 449 , if I accept the offer within 2 hours. Of course I refused this offer. If $ 449 + taxes was legal he had no reason to negotiate .
I 'd like you to answer the following questions:
- What is the federal law or the state of Florida that allows you to such immoral charges;
- At what point in advertising from AT & T I would have learned that the company has such hidden costs ;
- You yourself would you pay for such expenses just for the pleasure of being costumer of AT & T services;
I'm sure you do not have the answer to these questions. A company of the importance of AT & T can not afford such dubious practices , immoral and illegal. If you yourself can not resolve this problem , please give this letter to a responsible person who can do it , if not give me the E-mail of VP Customer Services or your ombudsman, I will address them .
I ask only one thing : send me by E -mail a reasonable bill for 10 days of service and I will pay at the reception

have a nice day

Dimitar 

[Edited for privacy.]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Dear Professor (AT&T employee),
You did not say anything new. You play with words. I told you at the beginning. My credit is excellent. I have a very good service from Comcast. Comcast are smarter than you. It does not require me stupid and immoral charges as you.  For me the AT&T page is closed forever. Today I made an electronic transfer to my account $ 55.00, slightly more than the amount I owe AT&T for installation and 10 days of service ($ 48.50 - see my 1st letter).
The last time I asked 3 questions to Marianne, an employee of AT&T. I will repeat them once again:

- What is the federal or the state of Florida law that allows you to such immoral charges;
- At what point in advertising from AT&T I would have learned that the company has such hidden costs ;
- You yourself would you pay for such expenses just for the pleasure of being costumer of AT&T services;

If you are not able to answer the first two questions, it is because you have no legal right to charge your stupid ‘’special fee non-refundable credit fee’’. We live in state of rights. The rules are established by law and voted by elected people and not by sellers like you.

I have a letter from my bank. This is your bank that has decided that your bill is unfair and that the burden of $ 449 + tax is a scam. Without permission your bank I could not be repaid.

I hope someday Executive Officer of AT & T will understand what bad service you made to the company that gives you a living wage. Your forum is only a fog.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

Our Canadian friend might gain some insight from the following article:

Canadians struggle to obtain US credit

The primary problem is Social Security numbers. Canadian residents who don’t hold jobs in the U.S. don’t have them. But virtually every form of credit issued in the U.S. — along with credit reports that track creditworthiness — is tied to an individual’s Social Security number.

“Unfortunately, a Canadian credit history cannot follow its resident to the United States,” Experian Public Relations Manager Kristine Snyder said in an e-mail. “While credit reporting companies like Experian have operations in multiple countries, the information they maintain in the individual nations cannot be transferred across national boundaries.”

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

Canadian credit scores are not transferable to the U.S.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.