For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
ohrabbitz's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Friday, February 12th, 2016 8:55 PM

Closed

What IS the Office of the President?

I've had occasion to speak with people from the Office of the President recently about an issue. I realized I don't know what sort of place they occupy in the scheme of things. A dead end for customer complaints? Where would they be in a corporate structure diagram? Once you wind up there, abandon all hope? Are they a bunch of people sitting at desks outside the President of AT&Ts office? Do they know him? Does he know them? How many of them are there? Who supervises them?

Really, please help with this mystery. Also, a map of the corporate structure might be useful to me.

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

8 years ago

They are the same people that help at&t retain its #1 rating for customer service year after year.

Scholar

• 

168 Messages

8 years ago

They do a poor job at it.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@ohrabbitz wrote:

I've had occasion to speak with people from the Office of the President recently about an issue. I realized I don't know what sort of place they occupy in the scheme of things. A dead end for customer complaints? Where would they be in a corporate structure diagram? Once you wind up there, abandon all hope? Are they a bunch of people sitting at desks outside the President of AT&Ts office? Do they know him? Does he know them? How many of them are there? Who supervises them?

Really, please help with this mystery. Also, a map of the corporate structure might be useful to me.

I just bet if you put in a little effort, do a little Googling, dig around online a bit, you could find the answers to all of your questions.

Or perhaps your questions are all rhetorical.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I have been doing quite a bit of Googling. Perhaps I am not using the right search terms. No, not rhetorical at all!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

8 years ago

Your mileage may vary.

Scholar

• 

421 Messages

8 years ago

@ohrabbitz wrote:

The OOP is nearly useless from my experience. 

You can try them but in the end you will likely need to send a snail mail return receipt requested to one of the executive VPs at the AT&T corporate HQ in Texas, to get any real solutions or actual help that is of consequence. 

It's really shameful how BAD AT&T customer service and sales has become in the past decade or so. At one time The Bell System (until 1984) had excellent customer service, sales, and tech support, once the gov't broke it up things have been going steadily down hill. 

Few know that today's AT&T is actually owned by SBC (a baby Bell) and they are NOT the original parent company or AT&T organization. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@ham3843   Guess you never had the 'phone men' we had that were snarly, uncommunicative and darn right mean at times that we did on the old Bell system.  It took awhile for them to 'warm up' after the break up until Southwestern Bell bought Ameritech and changing to SBC around same time.

And why was 'one ringy dingy' so funny, Lilly Tomlin wasn't far off the map about the phone company, "and we ARE the phone company, snort". Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

421 Messages

8 years ago

For many years we lived in a number of old Bell System areas Illinois Bell, 

Diamond State Telephone (Delaware Bell) and Bell of Pennsylvania, and while I was 

young I don't even remember my folks complaining about customer service while on the phone with ordering new service or getting a repair, I will add that my mom's uncle was a linesman for Illinois Bell and I knew him and the guys he worked with (obviously they didn't have contact with the telephone customer service reps, and those guys were great people always willing to take a few minutes to chat and explain some of what they were doing, it made me want to be a linesman back then. 

The dishonesty, lies, and deceit that goes on today makes the worst that happened back during the 70s and early 80s look positively honorable. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@ham3843   What you just wrote tells why you got great guys to you and your family a relative of one of the workers.  Could almost guarantee that if the connection was not there, they would not have been so friendly.

Didn't even get into, yes sir we'll be there in a week to fix your phone.  Dial tone goes out, be about 4 days to a week b4 they get there.

I'm not condemning every worker of the times, but it was few and far between here. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Scholar

• 

421 Messages

8 years ago

@mibrnsurg

Again we didn't have a close relationship with my Mom's uncle at all, but they did live at the other end of our large surburban neighborhood, and as you well know when order tickets and trouble tickets are created, even back during the 70s, there was NO direct connection between my relative and the customer service reps at the call center. As a matter of fact my relative NEVER did any work at our home at all, nor did his workmates I met. I believe we were actually serviced out of a different garage for the most part. 

I spoke with my Mom and Dad and asked them what they remember about their old service when dealing with The Bell System (late 60s, 70s, early 80s). They say that when dealing with ordering by phone the only thing that was different than today was the slightly longer period of time before installation, they said the CSRs back then were professional, polite, and very accurate as well, there was no BSing that they could recall during a few decades dealing with The Bell System when you received a bill after ordering the prices were spot on.

On the technician visit side, they recall all the installers being well trained, businesslike, and VERY competent and they all seemed to take pride in doing the job correctly, they weren't chatty though, but were polite during any installs or repair calls. Or equal importance was the billing department, they say they NEVER had an issue with gross billing errors, but if there was an error like an errant LD charge, they would credit the charge without any issues, and sure enough the bills, and other related costs were almost always accurate. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.