Get the myAT&T app
MPUV555's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Friday, February 7th, 2014 1:55 AM

Uverse breaking contract with added fees

So I sign up for Uverse hoping it will be better experience than Time Warner Cable.  I was wrong.  Its just as hard to get in touch with customer service and they add fees without telling me. 

When I signed up I was told I would have to pay for an extra receiver (an extra $7/month from what I was quoted), so I was annoyed but put up with it.  I was told my total bill would be $81/month before tax.  So my first bill was $117 which included an installation fee, then my 2nd bill was $100.  The excuse was something about charging me for extra days during the last billing period, which made zero sense.  I also noticed a $6 equipment fee (which was NOT quoted to me) and a $2 "broadcast surchage" added onto my QUOTED monthly total.  So I called and of course spent 45 mins on the phone, was hung up on TWICE even though I was perfectly reasonable with the reps, and finally the last individual agreed with me and said he would reduce my monthly bill to $81/month as originally quoted.  So this month I'm charged $93 total and the equipment and broadcast charge are still there. 

What would you do?  Cable companies are out of control.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Nice fine print  - you don't think its someone's obligation to explain that to customers.  Why aren't you obligated to include that in the quote?  AT&T provides access to the broadcast stations and the equipment - therefore they should be included in any quote.  You can call it "promotional pricing" or whatever you want, but its a freakin quote.

Also... your customer service reps shouldn't be hanging up on people.  In addition, why did one of your reps tell me he agreed and would reduce my bill to what was on my quote?  Obviously that didn't happen.

Why is it people only have these problems with tv service providers?  You guys don't offer enough value anymore and are just trying to squeeze money by any means possible.  I thought AT&T might be an upgrade in service from Time Warner, but it appears I was mistaken.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Agree!!!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Don't you think that any charges that are mandated by ATT,that are unavoidable, should be in the quote and not swallowed up in fine print.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

@confusedatUVERSE wrote:

Don't you think that any charges that are mandated by ATT,that are unavoidable, should be in the quote and not swallowed up in fine print.

Considering taxes and local broadcast surcharges are different in each state, the "final total paid" will be different. If I have U-300 and an extra STB with 12.0Mbps internet in Ohio, my buddy in Kansas with the exact same package might be paying a few dollars more or less.

If AT&T says "quoted prices do not include local taxes and/or fees" in their small print, and the customer doesn't read that...well, that's not on AT&T.

If Time Warner claims I can get "up to 250 channels and 20Mbps internet" for $119, then am I really gonna pay that much after I add two DVRs and local fees are factored into the equation?

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

ATT has a habit of misrepresenting the truth, then blaming the customer for not knowing it was a misrepresentation. If you complain long enough and a very nice gentleman from the Office of the President of ATT will call you and be very polite, but nothing will change. That you have a transcript of the conversation doen't matter.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

9 years ago

Here also

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@dydxlnx wrote:

ATT has a habit of misrepresenting the truth, then blaming the customer for not knowing it was a misrepresentation. If you complain long enough and a very nice gentleman from the Office of the President of ATT will call you and be very polite, but nothing will change. That you have a transcript of the conversation doen't matter.

Get ahold of the BBB and make your complaint heard.  Usually get some action when they get involved.

But having said this, most people ignore the 'fine print' and that gets them into trouble.  Me, I download so I have it here if I need it.  Like when I got Uverse and would get $200 back. 

Reward Center cancelled the reward more than 20 times, talked to a supervisor and read back the offer I had downloaded.  She then went thru her offers and found it and said "something's funny here, I'll investigate and get back to you in a week". 

I told her yeah, ATT reps rarely call back, she said she does.  A week later I got a call that my check went into the mail  (a day later than it should've) and got the $200 check 2 days later. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATTUverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hidden fees and hidden everything !! Very frustated. I had u-verse insalled on 8/12/2014. My order sheet said nothing about a conract, nor did the Rep say anything about it. The guy came and installed it, no mention of a contract. I am disabled and on a fixed income. I just found out today..11/7-14.. after speaking with a Tech about an e-email issue, that I have a 1 yr contract on my u-verse. This is a total scam !! There are cheaper services out there , but having been with att for 20 yrs, I figured I was doing good...WRONG !! Is this really the way to operate a buisiness( esp a long time customer) Never again will I deal with att. Notifying BBB AND LETTING FAMILY, FREINDS AND BUISINESS PATNERS KNOW THAT YOU ARE JUST A MONEY SOURCE TO THEM. Sick and frustrated. By the way my u-verse is setup for pc only

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Another question...why can't customers get the rates they are going to be charged AFTER the yearly promotional fee expires? My bill was consistent, to the penny, for the first year. The moment the promotion expired, don't you know my rates went higher every month for three months, including a supposed increase in those "below line" fees (read bullcrap fees)? Until I have called Customer Care this month to put a stop to it? (We shall see if it makes any difference.)

The answer I got when I signed up and asked what the fees would be once the promotion was over was that a quote couldnt be given because it would depend. Really? If a store has a promotional sale, they have a cost that the item usually is BEFORE the sale. Why can't we know what the approximate cost will be once the promotion is over?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

"But having said this, most people ignore the 'fine print' and that gets them into trouble.  Me, I download so I have it here if I need it.  Like when I got Uverse and would get $200 back. "

Fine print is usually used when someone wants to scam someone else. Why does there have to be fine print? If I ask how much something is going to cost, tell me what it's going to cost! Stop already with the fine print and hidden fees! For gosh sakes, these companies make millions or billions of dollars and they have to be so greedy that they can't be honest about what something is going to charge?

If I didn't have to have internet to make my living, I would for sure be dropping these companies. They are so dishonest. Smiley Mad

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.