Get the myAT&T app
TJ66's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 20th, 2013 12:35 PM

Uverse Internet signup with Earthlink DSL

I just signed up for Uverse internet with self install online.  I currently have Earthlink DSL, and got a message during signup I needed to cancel the Earthlink DSL.  Do I need to cancel my Earthlink service now, or will I be notified a date to have it canceled by?  I have only gotten the order confirmation email so far.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Sorry for the quick post. I got an email that I need to cancel current DSL service to complete order. Then notify when done within 10 days.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

TJ66 - Previous posts seem to indicate that att will not issue an order until they can verify your line is clear. Until it is clear, Earthlink "owns" your line.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Yes it appears that way. I also plan to cancel my ATT home phone (POTS). I wonder if I can even cancel it without removing the Earthlink DSLfirst? I know the DSL will not work without the phone service.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I found this on Earthlinks Website:

Do I need to have home phone service to get EarthLink DSL?
In most locations, DSL service requires that you have an active  home phone line. In locations where Verizon provides local phone service, we  are able to offer what we call Freestanding DSL. This money-saving option gives you  broadband Internet access without an active phone line. Enter your address and phone number on the main DSL or  Internet Access page of this site to see your DSL availability options

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Yes, they own your line.  I tried to get service with AT&T, went thru the whole thing including pulling my credit only for them to say that I had to cancel my service with EarthLink first.  AT&T called them and they made me pay a $100 early cancellation fee. AT&T said it would be 24 hours for it to cancel.  I called back the next day, only to be told that it would be 4 to 10 days before the line would be released.  I called back after 10 days and had to have my credit pulled again and then was told that the line had not been released and it would be another 4 to 10 days.  This has been the most frustrating experience of my life and no one seems to care and I'm told that my information is not stored so will they be talking about pulling my credit a 3rd time? AT&T services Earthlink so I don't understand why it is so difficult to get this taken care of.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.