UVerse!?!?!?!

ACE - Expert

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 53 (4,927 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!


texasguy37 wrote:

Your information is not correct.  Hawaii Telcom using the same Pace 4111N gateway.

 

http://www.hawaiiantel.com/Residential/Internet/Support/InternetNetworkSupport/tabid/800/Default.asp...


Then why whenever I search PACE's American website it doesn't show up with that model number and instead the 3801HGV is the only one with the latest revision that looks like it. It doesn't even show up on the international site either or in the support search. I have posted pictures to prove my point of which model numbers they offer, and none of them are a 4111N.


Message 32 of 53 (4,908 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

[ Edited ]

RFRO,

 

OK, you have a lot of things going on here, so I'll try to address each one.

 

First, Pace (who bought 2Wire) is a company that makes some modems/gateways for sale to end customers, but that's not their primary business.  They primarily provide modems/routers/gateways to other companies that are built to a particular specification with custom firmware that they requested.  This is what AT&T has done ... AT&T contracts with Pace/2Wire to manufacture modems/gateways for all of AT&T's xDSL services.

 

When Pace builds a modem/gateway like this to a contracted specification, there is no guarantee that it will appear on their website.  The 4111N is such a device.  It is built by Pace for AT&T, but is not a model that is sold to end customers.  Thus, this is why you can't find much information about it, and also why it doesn't appear on the Pace website.

 

Second, AT&T uses the term "U-Verse" as a marketing term that encompasses many different products and technologies.  The underlying technologies AT&T is using are different for different locations throughout the country, different locations throughout a single city, and different depending on what service is provided.  AT&T is providing ADSL2+ service under the "U-Verse" label, this service is limited to just Internet (and just recently, Internet + voice-over-IP).  AT&T is also providing VDSL2 service under the "U-Verse" label ... this service provides Internet, VOIP and IPTV.  Different modems/gateways are specifically used for each service.

 

For ADSL2+ service, the modem/routers that can be used are the 2Wire 2701, Motorola 2210, Motorola NVG510, and the (brand new) 2Wire/Pace 4111N.

 

For VDSL2 service, the modem/routers that can be used are the 2Wire/Pace 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, and i3812V (iNID).  In addition, the 3600HGV can be used on a VDSL circuit for a non-IPTV customer.

 

I am the author of the UV Realtime software that was pointed out to you earlier in the thread (that does not contain a virus, by the way).  UV Realtime gathers statistics from each modem/gateway that it is run against, and reports those statistics to my database to help me improve the product and understand new modems/routers that are rolled out.

 

In my database right now are 9 entries for the 4111N.  Each one of them shows a max rate in the 8-13 Mbps range, and various profile rates of 6/0.75, 3/0.5, and 1.5/0.375.  These are ADSL2+ numbers, similar to what the Motorola 2210 and NVG510 modems deliver.  Thus, I conclude that the 4111N is definitely an ADSL2+ modem, suitable for use on AT&T's U-Verse service with Internet and VOIP only.  This modem will NOT connect on VDSL2, and therefore will NOT receive IPTV.

 

The hardware revisions listed in my database for all 9 entries show that the hardware is a variation of the 2701 hardware.  Thus, I also conclude that just like the similar-looking VDSL2 gateway known as the 3801HGV is a 2nd-generation version of the 3800HGV-B, the 4111N is a 2nd-generation version of the 2701.

 

So this set of facts brings us to this conclusion:

 

If you have U-Verse service where you are supposed to have IPTV (which seems likely considering you say you have an AT&T DVR running Windows CE), then AT&T should never have sent you a 4111N, because it is incompatible with your system.

 

Another conclusion that you must face is that since the only modems/gateways that are compatible with your system are the 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, and i3812V, and all of them use 802.11g, there is no AT&T modem/gateway that will get you 802.11n.  To get 802.11n in your home, you will have to purchase and install a 3rd-party router or wireless access point.

 

You say they sent you the 4111N after you complained that your existing gateway did not have 802.11n wireless.  What gateway did you have before, and what is its status?  Is it installed and working?

 

To permanently fix your issues, including getting you the correct gateway for your system, getting your DVR working, and getting you the proper remotes, you need to contact Alex, our community manager.  He will arrange a tech to come to your house and fix all of this.  Send him a private message by clicking on the link to his name.

 

 

Message 33 of 53 (4,876 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!


SomeJoe7777 wrote:

RFRO,

 

OK, you have a lot of things going on here, so I'll try to address each one.

 

First, Pace (who bought 2Wire) is a company that makes some modems/gateways for sale to end customers, but that's not their primary business.  They primarily provide modems/routers/gateways to other companies that are built to a particular specification with custom firmware that they requested.  This is what AT&T has done ... AT&T contracts with Pace/2Wire to manufacture modems/gateways for all of AT&T's xDSL services.

 

When Pace builds a modem/gateway like this to a contracted specification, there is no guarantee that it will appear on their website.  The 4111N is such a device.  It is built by Pace for AT&T, but is not a model that is sold to end customers.  Thus, this is why you can't find much information about it, and also why it doesn't appear on the Pace website.

 

Second, AT&T uses the term "U-Verse" as a marketing term that encompasses many different products and technologies.  The underlying technologies AT&T is using are different for different locations throughout the country, different locations throughout a single city, and different depending on what service is provided.  AT&T is providing ADSL2+ service under the "U-Verse" label, this service is limited to just Internet (and just recently, Internet + voice-over-IP).  AT&T is also providing VDSL2 service under the "U-Verse" label ... this service provides Internet, VOIP and IPTV.  Different modems/gateways are specifically used for each service.

 

For ADSL2+ service, the modem/routers that can be used are the 2Wire 2701, Motorola 2210, Motorola NVG510, and the (brand new) 2Wire/Pace 4111N.

 

For VDSL2 service, the modem/routers that can be used are the 2Wire/Pace 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, and i3812V (iNID).  In addition, the 3600HGV can be used on a VDSL circuit for a non-IPTV customer.

 

I am the author of the UV Realtime software that was pointed out to you earlier in the thread (that does not contain a virus, by the way).  UV Realtime gathers statistics from each modem/gateway that it is run against, and reports those statistics to my database to help me improve the product and understand new modems/routers that are rolled out.

 

In my database right now are 9 entries for the 4111N.  Each one of them shows a max rate in the 8-13 Mbps range, and various profile rates of 6/0.75, 3/0.5, and 1.5/0.375.  These are ADSL2+ numbers, similar to what the Motorola 2210 and NVG510 modems deliver.  Thus, I conclude that the 4111N is definitely an ADSL2+ modem, suitable for use on AT&T's U-Verse service with Internet and VOIP only.  This modem will NOT connect on VDSL2, and therefore will NOT receive IPTV.

 

The hardware revisions listed in my database for all 9 entries show that the hardware is a variation of the 2701 hardware.  Thus, I also conclude that just like the similar-looking VDSL2 gateway known as the 3801HGV is a 2nd-generation version of the 3800HGV-B, the 4111N is a 2nd-generation version of the 2701.

 

So this set of facts brings us to this conclusion:

 

If you have U-Verse service where you are supposed to have IPTV (which seems likely considering you say you have an AT&T DVR running Windows CE), then AT&T should never have sent you a 4111N, because it is incompatible with your system.

 

Another conclusion that you must face is that since the only modems/gateways that are compatible with your system are the 3800HGV-B, 3801HGV, and i3812V, and all of them use 802.11g, there is no AT&T modem/gateway that will get you 802.11n.  To get 802.11n in your home, you will have to purchase and install a 3rd-party router or wireless access point.

 

You say they sent you the 4111N after you complained that your existing gateway did not have 802.11n wireless.  What gateway did you have before, and what is its status?  Is it installed and working?

 

To permanently fix your issues, including getting you the correct gateway for your system, getting your DVR working, and getting you the proper remotes, you need to contact Alex, our community manager.  He will arrange a tech to come to your house and fix all of this.  Send him a private message by clicking on the link to his name.

 

 


They (as stated) actually sent me a 3801HGV which looks exactly the same as the one's people claim are 4111Ns when I asked for a Wireless N router for UVerse. I use to have the older model of the 3801HGV which is no improvement to the newest revision. I saw that you wrote that you are the creator of the software that was suggested, I downloaded it and installed half of it, the other half in the install file would not install because my C++ redistributable is too new.

Message 34 of 53 (4,822 Views)
Expert

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

You can safely go into your Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/7) and remove the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Runtime - 10.0.xxxxx

Once you remove this, run the UV Realtime installer again, and it will complete the installation of all components, which includes reinstalling this particular one. Microsoft's installer for this component does not recognize compatible versions, so that's why the installation doesn't complete.
Message 35 of 53 (4,815 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!


SomeJoe7777 wrote:
You can safely go into your Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/7) and remove the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Runtime - 10.0.xxxxx

Once you remove this, run the UV Realtime installer again, and it will complete the installation of all components, which includes reinstalling this particular one. Microsoft's installer for this component does not recognize compatible versions, so that's why the installation doesn't complete.

1 Thanks dude for the install help and it's very helpful although half this stuff I could get from http://gateway.2wire.net/

and before I started posting here and before I signed up there use to be alot of posts I saw in 2011 that said AT&T told them it's because their router is not fast enough even though it's coaxial going into the STB itself and today AT&T claims that to have a faster connection you have to pay when the speed itself comes from what router you have and the routers speed it allows automatically. Making someone pay for speed they get for free because the router already allows it doesn't seem ethical or legal to me at all and it's just price gouging on something you already have. AT&T seems as shady as my local GameStop who runs litterally everything by GameStops rules.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 36 of 53 (4,733 Views)
Expert

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

OK, the screenshots from UV Realtime are helpful.

Your modem/gateway is the 3801HGV, which is the proper VDSL2 modem for your installation. Your line profile is 32/5, which is the maximum and is appropriate for your line.

Your error table shows a few errors, but nothing that indicates a chronic problem. The max rate is a bit low for your distance, but you are close enough to the VRAD that it doesn't matter.

One thing is that your modem/gateway has not been rebooted in nearly 6 months, I would recommend you reboot it to allow it to readjust to current line conditions.

Otherwise you appear to have properly working service.

Please contact Alex as I stated in my last message to get your DVR and remote situation resolved.
Message 37 of 53 (4,728 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

This is after my TV service was interupted, twice! No difference to yesterday by much. It's still screwing up, and it's thanks to AT&T's horrible service. I think I'll have to tell Alex about this.

Message 38 of 53 (4,664 Views)
Expert

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

Is there a reason that you have not followed SomeJoe's suggestion to rebooted the gateway which has been running continually for 6 months?

Message 39 of 53 (4,622 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

When in doubt, reboot.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 40 of 53 (4,596 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!


texasguy37 wrote:

Is there a reason that you have not followed SomeJoe's suggestion to rebooted the gateway which has been running continually for 6 months?


Yes! Because my mom, me, and my sister record so much that we could only do it at night & I don't want to do it at night when my sister is asleep because she sleeps in the buff. From 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday I plan on doing it because we're not recording anything then, but I don't want to do this everytime something like this happens... anyone know this router's firewall well enough so I can do a weekly schedule for rebooting automatically?

Message 41 of 53 (4,594 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!


texasguy37 wrote:

Is there a reason that you have not followed SomeJoe's suggestion to rebooted the gateway which has been running continually for 6 months?



I forgot to mention, the router is in my sister's bedroom.

Message 42 of 53 (4,589 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

It only takes about 30 seconds to actually do the work necessary to reboot. Maybe ask your sister to do it before she goes to sleep one night.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 53 (4,563 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RadioFreeRO
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!


RadioFreeRO wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

Is there a reason that you have not followed SomeJoe's suggestion to rebooted the gateway which has been running continually for 6 months?


Yes! Because my mom, me, and my sister record so much that we could only do it at night & I don't want to do it at night when my sister is asleep because she sleeps in the buff. From 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday I plan on doing it because we're not recording anything then, but I don't want to do this everytime something like this happens... anyone know this router's firewall well enough so I can do a weekly schedule for rebooting automatically?



You don't have to be physically at the gateway to restart it. There is a place in the user interface to restart/reset the RG, so any device than can access the RG's interface can restart it from anywhere in the house.

 

 

 

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                              

Message 44 of 53 (4,528 Views)
Mentor

Re: UVerse!?!?!?!

 

 

Just wondering... after I reboot, should these Unavailable seconds show up? I added these pictures to make sure everything was running smoothly, but still it seems to "now and then" have issues like words not going with shows that are english for the HD channels sometimes throughout the day. Besides the restarting itself issue, the words was the only other issue I had that has to do with the router itself. I already checked and everything hooked up to HD is compatible (cords, TVs, Surround Sound on 1 TV) but they still do this, and AT&T has came out to switch the old coaxials for new ones during last winter but it still happens and it seems like a buffering issue like when I try to access YouTube on my mom's computer which is XP and only 256 MB of RAM. Her CPU is better than mine but the OS is so old it has a buffering issue, but I doubt that's what's going on with my UVerse TV.

Message 45 of 53 (4,449 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support