For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
4019home's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 27th, 2015 3:52 PM

Closed

U-verse Utility Easement

I am not a customer AT&T, but when your employees come around to use the electrical post which is located between my backyard and my neighbor's backyard, as I understand it, they get permission from my neighbor to go through her property.  However, when my neighbor is not home they come to my house to get permission to go into my property.   I found out that when I'm not home and no one opens the door at my house, they enter my property without permission.

Last week, I was at work and my daughter was home alone.  She called me asking if I was expecting AT&T people, as they were knocking at the door. I said no, and so she decided not to open the door for safety reasons. However, when there was response at my house they opened the fence door and went into my backyard. My daughter didn't notice this, but my neighbor accross the street saw them trespassing my property through the fence.

I would like to formally file a complaint  about this? Does AT&T have a right to open the fence door of my yard and go inside my property? If I decide not to open the door to my property, it is for a good reason and they should respect that. 

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

I'm assuming since there is a "box" there, AT&T has a utility easement on your properly.  They have a right to access their utility easement.  As a courtesy they attempt to make you aware before they access your property, but if no one answers then they'll proceed without "notice."

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Oh how sad! What if I put a lock on my fance? Are they gonna jump the fance?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

They would be within their rights to remove the lock, or tear down the fence wherever it is in the easement and blocks access to their "box."

All this assumes a utility easement.  You could check your plat with your county land office and confirm that you have one and where it is on your property.

You may find this discussion interesting:

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/121317.aspx

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the information Jeffer, I will have to do more research about this situation. My other question is, where can I make a formal complain to AT&T about this? If you have an idea.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

You can send an Private Message by clicking this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you report your concern. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelope  in the upper right hand corner of this site, next to your avatar and name) in a business day or three.

If that doesn't give you statisfaction, you can Google AT&T Office of the President and you should be able to find a postal address.  We can't post it on these forums.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.