Get the myAT&T app
RemyM's profile

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 10:04 PM

U-verse 2013 Pricing Changes

This was filed today with the state of Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority

Beginning with bills received on January 27, 2013, the monthly price of some U-verse TV packages are increasing.  These price adjustments reflect increased business costs, including costs associated with higher programming fees.  

The monthly price for the following U-verse TV service plans will increase $2: U-family to $59; U200 to $74; U200 Latino to $84; U300 to $89; U300 Latino to $99;  U450 to $121; and U450 Latino to $131. (Grandfathered plans also will increase $2: U100 to $61 or $66, depending on when first ordered; and U400 to $116.).  Beginning on February 1, 2013 there will be a separate Broadcast TV Surcharge of $1.99 per month to recover a portion of the amount local broadcasters charge AT&T to carry their channels.

Those customers who currently have a U-verse TV pricing promotion will continue to receive the promotional benefit until the applicable promotion ends or expires.  Customers are being notified of these changes via bill messaging occurring in November and December.  In addition, customers will be notified of these changes online at www.att.net/uversepricechange.  Customers seeking information about U-verse services may visit www.att.net/uverseonline.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

@MicCheck wrote:

It depends on the promotion. Some promotions are for certain prices (e.g. $89 double play for a year). When prices increase, AT&T will increase the monthly discount to keep the same price for the contract period. Those promotions are almost always for new customers.

Other promotions are for a discount off the bill (e.g. $10 off T.V. for 6 months). Those promotions are off whatever the current price is and not a "guaranteed" price, so they don't change if the price of the service increases. Existing customer are generally on one of those promotions.

Wonder if you could point me towards a post/thread MicCheck with a link where a new or existing customer did not receive the latest price increase? As already mentioned in this thread I'm a 4 1/2 existing U-verse customer who entered into a 1-year service agreement in Dec and was told my rates are locked-in/guaranteed for a year. Yet my rates for U450 increased $2 and Max12 internet by $3. When calling to complain I was told no customer in any type of promotional rate avoided these price increases. I realize you're saying existing customer wouldn't be "guaranteed" a promotional rate but this isn't what I was told when signing up for a 1-year service agreement.

Something just recently changed since you wouldn't have some real knowledgeable forum ACES in this thread saying if you're in a promotional rate, and/or service agreement, you won't be seeing the new price increases. This is the way it used to be but with the new AT&T/U-verse TOS they can charge whatever they want and pass on any new price increases.

This kind of reminds me of having an AT&T landline for 35 years and was told when signing up w/U-verse as long as I kept it bundled with TV/internet I would continue to receive a $5 discount on my phone bill even after my promo rate expired. About 2 years after my promo rate expired the $5 discount disappeared from my phone bill so I called CS and spoke with 2 different reps. They said they have no record I ever received any kind of bundled phone discount but couldn't explain the $5 increase in my phone bill. Go figure and this must have been when AT&T decided they wanted out of the landline phone business.

I can't speak for this latest price increase, since I no longer work for AT&T, but in previous years, customers who signed up for a $89 for one year bundle (for example) had the promotional discount increase in February to offset the price increase. It is possible that AT&T change that policy this year.

In your case, it sounds like the rep who offered you the promotion didn't explain it properly, which is unfortunately common. Many reps (and customers) focus on the final price when the promo is applied ("Your bill will only be $95 a month for the next year!") and don't explain that the promotion is not for the price, but for the discount.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Why are prices so high? phones, internet, uverse. I signed up for uverse when it was available 09/12 - the installation paperwork was lost; so it took a full month to get it; after losing reception everytime is stormed I decided that the service did not warrant the cost and tried to cancel (no contract right?) everytime i called the att sales people would pull - this crazy talk which was trying to sell the product in circles; i never understood a word they said; one time a called and got transferred 8 times (not kidding) I was on the phone for over an hour - i'm not a quitter. i went into the store (no luck there either); whenever i changed my plan to one more affordable my bill got higher (not kidding); i'm done with uverse. and when i finally cancelled my plan (the phone) too they turned me into collection for uverse ($130) and phone ($300) for internet charges they never could explain over the phone. note: I never called anyone (no friends) and no games on the phone (still bill went up) and not to mention when I reviewed the bill there was a charge for $5 some line item that was blank. Add that up month after month. i sure hope you read your bills. good luck with customer service.

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hey there meh12mo,

If you could send us a private message with the link in my signature, we can try to help out as soon as possible.

Thank you,

~Ryan, AT&T Social Media Manager

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

"So let me get this straight, AT&T gets charged more for providing you channels, they add new channels and yet when they raise rates...you have  a problem with it. "

I had the basic television package, just local TV, they raised the rate.

I did have a problem with that. So I canceled the service and got an antenna.

They also raised the rate for my Internet service. To a rate higher than they were advertising on their website for the same speed.

Nothing changed. Hardware is as cheap as it ever was.

What excuse do you make for that?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

"I pay a whole lot more for my milk, bread, meat, cheese, etc, etc..., than I did last year too. After all the economy is getting a little better and, with the rise in the economy; higher prices are just part of it! Or didn't you learn that in economics in high school?"

One reason you pay more for those things is ethanol mandates have driven up the cost of corn, which is used for feed. Those items also have to be transported to market and rising fuel expenses add to their costs. They have little in common with a service that is delivered digitally over established lines.

btw, in a healthy economy, higher wages precede higher prices.

August 2012:

"While a majority of jobs lost during the downturn were in the middle range of wages, a majority of those added during the recovery have been low paying, according to a new report from the National Employment Law Project."

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

this is a typical bait and switch that all of them do.  some worse than others.  comcast sorta hide it less, it specifically states "rate for x months" then it goes up.  when i switched to ATT the rep gave me the impression that it won't go up, and since there's no contract, just cancel if it does.  all the vendor already factored in less than x% of people will get upset enough to cancel and switch.  yeah... sucks for consumer when we have only a very limited few major players competing for business.

anyone happen to know what's the comparable rate for u200 with 24Mbps?  I am paying for $163.xx before taxes and fees.  i think i m going to cancel tv and get hulu+ or netflix or something along those lines.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

So I've had uverse for years now and suddenly they want to tack on an extra 2 bucks a month for "monthly high speed internet equipment" I already have, have been using for years and am being forced to use in the first place. To top it off the only explanation given in the email is a link to the uverse front page, that's probably the best virtual "eye roll" i've ever been party to. Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining. I understand "Equipment fee's" and such are a big part of the profit margin but you'd think they'd cut long time customers a break. It'd be another thing if I was actually receiving something for that extra 2 bucks, better wifi signal, service, channels, a pack of tic tac's every month, anything would beat "Hey, we want more money." I feel silly making this post over 2-5 dollars a month but it sucks to feel like a company who you rely on every day is taking you for a ride.

As much as I love my service and have for many years I think it's about time to make the move and let some other corporate monstrosity steal my money and subvert my trust.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@dajamany wrote:

So I've had uverse for years now and suddenly they want to tack on an extra 2 bucks a month for "monthly high speed internet equipment" I already have, have been using for years and am being forced to use in the first place. To top it off the only explanation given in the email is a link to the uverse front page, that's probably the best virtual "eye roll" i've ever been party to. Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining. I understand "Equipment fee's" and such are a big part of the profit margin but you'd think they'd cut long time customers a break. It'd be another thing if I was actually receiving something for that extra 2 bucks, better wifi signal, service, channels, a pack of tic tac's every month, anything would beat "Hey, we want more money." I feel silly making this post over 2-5 dollars a month but it sucks to feel like a company who you rely on every day is taking you for a ride.

As much as I love my service and have for many years I think it's about time to make the move and let some other corporate monstrosity steal my money and subvert my trust.

You're kinda late.  The $2 equipment fee went into effect in February as discussed earlier in this thread.  

Good luck with your new provider.  I'm sure they will need raise your rate or add new fees.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.