Get the myAT&T app
RemyM's profile

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 10:04 PM

U-verse 2013 Pricing Changes

This was filed today with the state of Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority

Beginning with bills received on January 27, 2013, the monthly price of some U-verse TV packages are increasing.  These price adjustments reflect increased business costs, including costs associated with higher programming fees.  

The monthly price for the following U-verse TV service plans will increase $2: U-family to $59; U200 to $74; U200 Latino to $84; U300 to $89; U300 Latino to $99;  U450 to $121; and U450 Latino to $131. (Grandfathered plans also will increase $2: U100 to $61 or $66, depending on when first ordered; and U400 to $116.).  Beginning on February 1, 2013 there will be a separate Broadcast TV Surcharge of $1.99 per month to recover a portion of the amount local broadcasters charge AT&T to carry their channels.

Those customers who currently have a U-verse TV pricing promotion will continue to receive the promotional benefit until the applicable promotion ends or expires.  Customers are being notified of these changes via bill messaging occurring in November and December.  In addition, customers will be notified of these changes online at www.att.net/uversepricechange.  Customers seeking information about U-verse services may visit www.att.net/uverseonline.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just wanted to comment on the rate increase that it seems to have upset so many of you! I now pay $4 more for my Uverse and like $2 more for my high speed Internet, but when I go to the grocery store I pay a whole lot more for my milk, bread, meat, cheese, etc, etc..., than I did last year too. After all the economy is getting a little better and, with the rise in the economy; higher prices are just part of it! Or didn't you learn that in economics in high school? Any way at least with higher prices for Uverse and Internet I decide weather or not I want to pay and have those convinces, food prices everyone pays for weather they can afford to or not! Now there's a good debate! Just thought I would put it in perspective.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This will be the end of our services with U-Verse. This increase was not distributed correctly to those receiving online billing and AT&T knows it.

On top of that, and $80 increase in our services is just not going to cut it.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@jross6434 wrote:

This will be the end of our services with U-Verse. This increase was not distributed correctly to those receiving online billing and AT&T knows it.

On top of that, and $80 increase in our services is just not going to cut it.

The only way you had an $80 increase is if you just came off of your promotional rates.  And I have online billing and it was available starting in December that rates would be raised in February.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

11 years ago

I guess I was sleeping last month and just noticed the $2 this month.  Like others, I have a real problem with it, given that we don't have an option to purchase the equipment.  Furthermore, right on my bill, there is a description of my service that says:

"AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo 
provides the speed and security you need, including built-in wireless home networking capability, access to the AT&T's entire National Wi-Fi network, 11 email accounts, photo storage, AT&T Security Suite powered by McAfee, pop-up blocker, and parental controls."

That kind of sounds like my service level INCLUDES the needed hardware.

So, yeah, a total of $7 a month in increases, I think that's the biggest in the 5 years I've had u-verse.  It's motivates me to price shop with Charter and also look at decreasing my service levels.  Nice job AT&T.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@RJSinMO wrote:

I guess I was sleeping last month and just noticed the $2 this month.  Like others, I have a real problem with it, given that we don't have an option to purchase the equipment.  Furthermore, right on my bill, there is a description of my service that says:

"AT&T High Speed Internet Max Turbo 
provides the speed and security you need, including built-in wireless home networking capability, access to the AT&T's entire National Wi-Fi network, 11 email accounts, photo storage, AT&T Security Suite powered by McAfee, pop-up blocker, and parental controls."

That kind of sounds like my service level INCLUDES the needed hardware.

So, yeah, a total of $7 a month in increases, I think that's the biggest in the 5 years I've had u-verse.  It's motivates me to price shop with Charter and also look at decreasing my service levels.  Nice job AT&T.

My mom had Charter and she wouldn't recommend it to her enemies.  At the time it was the only option, but since a 2nd cable company moved into her town she switched.  Their customer service is constantly ranked among the worst and they tend to raise their rates more than once a year. They take after comcast. On days that end in Y they might raise their prices.   $7 is less than the other providers raised this year.  Means one less Starbucks.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

11 years ago

I had Charter at my old house and never had a complaint.  I heard others complain.  Sometimes I wondered if it was because I was in a newer area with underground wiring.  I had some issues when they first brought out digital TV service, but my internet with them was always solid.  May not be the case here in an older neighborhood and overhead wiring.

And, I understand the $7 isn't much relative to some things, but I suppose you could also say that's $84/yr.  And, honestly, mostly the stupid $2 aggravates me the most (and obviously others in this thread), given that nothing has changed, they just tacked on the fee, and we can't buy the equipment.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

@RJSinMO wrote:

I had Charter at my old house and never had a complaint.  I heard others complain.  Sometimes I wondered if it was because I was in a newer area with underground wiring.  I had some issues when they first brought out digital TV service, but my internet with them was always solid.  May not be the case here in an older neighborhood and overhead wiring.

And, I understand the $7 isn't much relative to some things, but I suppose you could also say that's $84/yr.  And, honestly, mostly the stupid $2 aggravates me the most (and obviously others in this thread), given that nothing has changed, they just tacked on the fee, and we can't buy the equipment.

I don't like the new $2 equipment fee either but believe Charter has been doing this quite a while. March 1, 2013, Charter price increases include modem rental $5 to $7 rental increase, extended cable increased $3/month, Charter TV in digital increased $2/month and most internet serives increased $3/month while "Lite Internet" increased $5/month. Maybe not all these increases were included if having a Charter bundled package with 2-year contract but believe they is no way to avoid the modem price increase by $2 to $7/month.

http://www.eunicetoday.com/view/full_story/17365753/article-Charter-cable--internet-fees-to-increase-in-March?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

And I'm not so sure you'd want to buy your own equipment either, especially w/Charter, since March 1st they will no longer offer any support to customer owned equipment. I"ve had real good CS/TS support w/U-verse and while I don't like leasing extra STB's they have been great about replacing any type of equipment I've had problems with, while also provided upgraded equipment, at no charge. Luckily I entered into a new 1-year service agreement with U-verse Dec, 2012, and now I'm having the fees for 3 extra STB's ($21/month) waived.

I still believe Directv is the absolute worst provider when it comes to leased equipment you have to purchase. I'll never forget when I bought a Directv HD DVR at Best Buy for $200 when I upgraded from SD to HD service. It instantly entered me into a new 2-year contract and I cancelled my DTV service after 6 months of not being able to receive a reliable HD signal. I had to ship the DVR to them I had just bought 6 months ago when I cancelled service! Sorry for going OT but this is still a thorn in my side.

Yeah, maybe it was a fluke you had good service through Charter in a new area with underground lines. You may want to read the customer reviews since seems like they have the worst CS of any provider. I've also read where they don't have enough bandwidth and gamers, along with customers streaming movies, have all kinds of problems with service going down in the evenings/weekends.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I hate the AT&T changes the way that they did the business in the past.  I am an ATT royal customer since 26 years ago.  In the past, if you had contract with ATT for certain period, they will keep their promises and not change the price.  But now they told you, they will give you some kind of promotion discount per month for the contract period, but they change (increase) price during the contract period, and if you walk away you have to pay penalty. It seems they can change the price in the contract period, but you can’t walk away.  Sad!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@jcwu96 wrote:

I hate the AT&T changes the way that they did the business in the past.  I am an ATT royal customer since 26 years ago.  In the past, if you had contract with ATT for certain period, they will keep their promises and not change the price.  But now they told you, they will give you some kind of promotion discount per month for the contract period, but they change (increase) price during the contract period, and if you walk away you have to pay penalty. It seems they can change the price in the contract period, but you can’t walk away.  Sad!

It depends on the promotion. Some promotions are for certain prices (e.g. $89 double play for a year). When prices increase, AT&T will increase the monthly discount to keep the same price for the contract period. Those promotions are almost always for new customers.

Other promotions are for a discount off the bill (e.g. $10 off T.V. for 6 months). Those promotions are off whatever the current price is and not a "guaranteed" price, so they don't change if the price of the service increases. Existing customer are generally on one of those promotions.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

It depends on the promotion. Some promotions are for certain prices (e.g. $89 double play for a year). When prices increase, AT&T will increase the monthly discount to keep the same price for the contract period. Those promotions are almost always for new customers.

Other promotions are for a discount off the bill (e.g. $10 off T.V. for 6 months). Those promotions are off whatever the current price is and not a "guaranteed" price, so they don't change if the price of the service increases. Existing customer are generally on one of those promotions.

Wonder if you could point me towards a post/thread MicCheck with a link where a new or existing customer did not receive the latest price increase? As already mentioned in this thread I'm a 4 1/2 existing U-verse customer who entered into a 1-year service agreement in Dec and was told my rates are locked-in/guaranteed for a year. Yet my rates for U450 increased $2 and Max12 internet by $3. When calling to complain I was told no customer in any type of promotional rate avoided these price increases. I realize you're saying existing customer wouldn't be "guaranteed" a promotional rate but this isn't what I was told when signing up for a 1-year service agreement.

Something just recently changed since you wouldn't have some real knowledgeable forum ACES in this thread saying if you're in a promotional rate, and/or service agreement, you won't be seeing the new price increases. This is the way it used to be but with the new AT&T/U-verse TOS they can charge whatever they want and pass on any new price increases.

This kind of reminds me of having an AT&T landline for 35 years and was told when signing up w/U-verse as long as I kept it bundled with TV/internet I would continue to receive a $5 discount on my phone bill even after my promo rate expired. About 2 years after my promo rate expired the $5 discount disappeared from my phone bill so I called CS and spoke with 2 different reps. They said they have no record I ever received any kind of bundled phone discount but couldn't explain the $5 increase in my phone bill. Go figure and this must have been when AT&T decided they wanted out of the landline phone business.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.