Get the myAT&T app
yaakovashoshana's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, May 3rd, 2014 2:09 AM

Sounding Off About AT&T U-verse TV

I received an email invitation to complete a survey about AT&T U-verse television. The subject line promised me a chance to "Sound Off," but instead only allowed me to answer a few multiple-choice questions. Well, "sound off" was what the email said, and "sound off" is what I'm going to do.

I have been a loyal U-verse customer since 2009, but frankly, some of AT&T's business practices leave me singularly unimpressed.

Every year, my bill for telephone, television, and internet starts out at a semi-reasonable level. However, the bill seems to gradually creep up a little every month. I'm not ordering pay-per-view or on-demand movies. I'm not making long-distance telephone calls. Still, every bill is a little larger than the last. Finally one day, I've reached the end of my yearly contract, and all the "promotions" on my account expire. I open my monthly bill and nearly suffer heart-failure from the sticker shock.

So, I call AT&T, and start talking to representatives to see what can be done to lower my monthly bill. Sometimes I end up cancelling everything but basic service. Sometimes I have to ask to speak to a supervisor and threaten to cancel entirely. Eventually, the representatives are able to quote me a price I can live with - for a month or so - until the bill starts gradually increasing again, and we start the whole cycle all over.

AT&T offers fantastic promotions to attract new customers, but those of us who have been with the company year after year get left out in the cold. When I request one of these special promotional offers, I am told that they're only for "new" customers. Perhaps AT&T should give as much thought to keeping current customers happy as they do to seducing new customers who don't know what they're in for.

If AT&T can offer a brand new customern U-300 television, Max-Plus internet and Unlimited telephone for $119 a month, why in the pluperfect heck did I have to pay $180 last month for the exact same package?

I am dissatisfied, AT&T, and based on continuing customer "care," I would not recommend you to family, friends, or coworkers.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@yaakovashoshana 
@yaakovashoshana wrote:

I received an email invitation to complete a survey about AT&T U-verse television. The subject line promised me a chance to "Sound Off," but instead only allowed me to answer a few multiple-choice questions. Well, "sound off" was what the email said, and "sound off" is what I'm going to do.

I have been a loyal U-verse customer since 2009, but frankly, some of AT&T's business practices leave me singularly unimpressed.

Every year, my bill for telephone, television, and internet starts out at a semi-reasonable level. However, the bill seems to gradually creep up a little every month. I'm not ordering pay-per-view or on-demand movies. I'm not making long-distance telephone calls. Still, every bill is a little larger than the last. Finally one day, I've reached the end of my yearly contract, and all the "promotions" on my account expire. I open my monthly bill and nearly suffer heart-failure from the sticker shock.

AT&T raises their rates once a year in February unless you are out of your promo period. Even then it should only vary by a couple of dollars depending on how many days are in the month. 

So, I call AT&T, and start talking to representatives to see what can be done to lower my monthly bill. Sometimes I end up cancelling everything but basic service. Sometimes I have to ask to speak to a supervisor and threaten to cancel entirely. Eventually, the representatives are able to quote me a price I can live with - for a month or so - until the bill starts gradually increasing again, and we start the whole cycle all over.

AT&T offers fantastic promotions to attract new customers, but those of us who have been with the company year after year get left out in the cold. When I request one of these special promotional offers, I am told that they're only for "new" customers. Perhaps AT&T should give as much thought to keeping current customers happy as they do to seducing new customers who don't know what they're in for.

Every provider has a promo price, then they will raise your rates to the normal price after a year.  Both Dish and Direct have a 1 year promo, but a 2 year contract so you are stuck with a 2nd year of much higher prices.  

If AT&T can offer a brand new customern U-300 television, Max-Plus internet and Unlimited telephone for $119 a month, why in the pluperfect heck did I have to pay $180 last month for the exact same package?

Call the 800 number on Monday and at the prompt, say Cancel, that will get you to retentions. They should be able to get you a decent discount for a year.  It more than likely will not be new customer prices, but should be close.  If you get a rep that is unwilling to negotiate, politely hang up and call back and try again.

I am dissatisfied, AT&T, and based on continuing customer "care," I would not recommend you to family, friends, or coworkers.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, yaakovashoshana!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that your introductory pricing has expired. We would be happy to review your account and explore your options, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.