Get the myAT&T app
k2mp12345's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 21st, 2014 12:53 AM

Closed

Signed a 1-year contract and then AT&T raised price

I was going to cancel my service in December last year, but when I called to cancel, AT&T offered U200 for a certain rate for 12 months in exchange for me signing a contract for one-year.  So I agreed to keep AT&T U-Verse for 1 year and pay that set price.

Subsequent to our agreement, AT&T raised the bill by ~$4 in February (yes, the notification was in the December bill but that bill was generated after I entered into the one-year contract).

I had an online chat with customer care and I was told that it is AT&T's policy to apply the rate increase even to customers who are under a contract.  I sent a private message this past weekend but I have yet to hear back.

It is absurd that AT&T thinks this is okay:

1) If I cancel the service before December this year, I have to pay a penalty.

2) Yet AT&T can raise the rate at any time without my consent.

3) If I don't like the rate increase, I can cancel the service but I still have to pay the penalty.

Is anyone else having this same issue (i.e., those who have to pay a penalty if they were to cancel within the contract period, similar to how cell phone contracts work)?  Please share your experience here.  Thanks.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I was going to leave att since my promo was up in august of 2013, but then was given the option for a one year fixed price contract, which the rep on the phone said i would be at a fixed price for one year, which was 106.93 per month. Well looking on here it looks like other people have run into this also, about a four or five dollar increase per month for equipment fee, surcharge, and whatever starting in january. Well i went into a chat session and was told that they will fix my acount and change it back to what I was previously paying and would not have to worry about it in the future. Here is the chat from february, edited for the sake of private info:

Thank you for choosing AT&T. A representative will be with you shortly. You are now chatting with John. John: Thank you for contacting AT&T. My name is "JOHN". How're you doing today?

Chris: fine

John: Good to know that.

Chris: im trying to find out why my bill has gone up when i am in a year contract for a fixed price John: I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

John: I can help you with that!

John: Please allow me a moment, while I access your account.

John: In order to protect your private information, please provide the passcode on your U-verse account. This is a four-digit numeric passcode that you established for account security.

Chris: ****

John: Thank you.

John: I reviewed your account & as per your account records, your Current Account Balance is $112.42. John: I see you always receives a bill for $106.93

John: Yes , You account is under contract for 1 Year.

John: No to worry.

John: I am going to take care of your charges right now.

John: make sure you will not be billed again for any extra charges.

John: I am on your account.

Chris: ok

John: I am working for you.

John: I've applied the credit on your account for you and I'd like to inform you that I've personally taken care of your concern for you. I assure you, you do not have to contact us again for the same issue. I've documented the issue to your account to make sure that this is taken care in future as well.

John: You can check your updated account balance online while we are chatting.

John: Please logout & login again to your online account in order to view the updated account balance on your account.

Chris: ok thank you

Sorry for the long post. one month later bill is higher again. tried chatting again. told me it has been escalated, they asked for my phone number to call me. they called then asked me to log out of att.com, and then proceed to tell me to call the 1-800 number, and i could barely understand what she was saying to begin with. I will call when business are available, it is sunday right now. This really just ticks me off. Thoughts or suggestions?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

I have read here that since that price is determined by credit(s) after the regular price, any price increases (usually on the Feb bill sent out in Jan) will apply according to the Terms of Service.

Unluckily the phone/chat reps do not give the full info, buyer beware. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems) or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Yep buyer beware there is always a hidden catch i guess. They wouldnt be successful corporations without it. Guess Ill be paying more on my locked in price per month as stated by the rep who offered it.

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

Ditto on Chris. I have the same issue. The rep specifically stated the price would be the same for a year, and all they will do is apologize and quote the fine print. 

Like buying a used car.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Same problem here! Supposed to be locked in for one year, but price keeps changing every month. Its always some excuse. I would be amazed if I could go just six months with the same bill (not going up) and not having to call every two months for adjustments.

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @chrism1367 ,

As stated in your service agreement, fixed rates and promotions apply only to your service plan. Fees, surcharges, etc. are subject to change. 

We apologize that John did not direct you to the service agreement during your chat session.  Your frustration is understandable.

Thanks for your post.

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

The issue is more about what the sales reps promise--not what the small print says.

If a rep puts in writing that the price is fixed for a year, then it should be. People expect to be told the truth and expect companies to honor their written promises. Telling a customer afterwards what the small print says does not address the real issue of agents of AT&T lying to its customers, and reprimanding the rep doesn't solve the customer's problem. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

My price went up last month and I called. I have a locked in price for one year and they increased it. This month it is $22.00 more and it say's I changed my plan last month. Person on phone must of, I didn't. Show me where it say's you can change the price at will and I can't leave. I have had the same phone number for over 50 years and all of a sudden have nothing but problems with you. Never been with another company but it is time.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Never missed a payment or had a late payment. Increased my bill from $155 to $235 a month. Basically told me new corporate stance was to quit giving discounts to long time customers. SO--waiting on Suddenlink to change over. My goal is to never pay AT&T one penny ever again.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

To me-they agreed to a price on renewal and quickly told me the penalty if I broke the contract. After 4 calls--I have been told 4 different prices that they say they agreed to on contract. Therefore-I believe I never had a contract. Watch AT&T in the future start hurting for business. I tell my neighborhood; friends; social media to be aware of AT&T fraud.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.