Get the myAT&T app
ticarter's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 25th, 2013 1:54 AM

Recording multiple programs and watching multiple televisions

When I am recording three programs simultaneously, why is it that when I turn a television in one room that another television in another part of the house has a message pop up with three choices: remain on channel X, (don't remember the second choice), and interrupt a TV?  I immediately turned off the television I had just turned on, but that did not solve the problem. I tried to stop one or more the recordings, and that was not successful.  I finally told my husband to click on the third choice -- interrupt a TV. That worked; he was able to change channels to watch the NCAA, my recordings continued to record, but I was not able to watch television any where else in the house.

We have three televisions and usually we do not get this message unless I have made the mistake of setting a recording that is in HD. Therefore, I try not to record any HD programs if at all possible even though I have HD on all televisions.  We do have a U-Verse receiver for each television and each is capable of recording programs, so I am not undering why I can only have one television operating when three programs are being recorded. Could it be that since we have been a U-Verse customer since 2007 our receivers are a bit out of date? I know that in the beginning any recordings had to be done through the main receiver, but now the other two receivers are capable of recording programs. Also, I do not set my recordings through the receivers, I set up everything through my computer (att.com). What am I doing wrong?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

Your LIVE stream limit is 4 regardless if they're HD or SD.  Each stream is counted as one. 

That's why you can record 3 and watch 1 or record 2 and watch 2, etc.  The caveat is that the 3rd HD stream must be watched on a STB.

I usually record a limit of 2 HD programs at a time.  That leaves a live stream for hubby on the big TV w/DVR and me one to watch on the office TV w/STB.

Unless your profile is not the norm you should be able to do the same.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you are recording or watching 3 HD streams, the 4th HD stream must be watched on a STB box (not the DVR).

What is your profile?  Menu>Options>System Options>System Info>System Resources

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

SkeeterinTexas,

Does your reply also apply to non-HD programs being recorded?  Remember, I do not record anything in HD, but I do watch HD programs while recording is going on.  As far a my profile is concerned, I will have to look that one up. Thanks for the advice.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you. Your explanation makes perfectly good sense.  I did look at my profile and it was totally Greek, but I did photograph it in case I need to look it up again. In the meantime, I will continue to space my recordings at no more than two (2) at a time during prime time, but I can go to three (3) if I can the program airs after midnight and before 6:00 AM.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

If your profile allows, you could totally record 4 programs at a time if you're not watching a live stream.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

HI. Your reply regarding this issue has basically been helpful.  But, I am still wondering why I cannot record a (4th) show WHILE  we are watching it, for latter review?  Can you explain further?

Thank you.

P.S. I am glad that I finally took the time to log into a forum to research this question that has been puzzling me since we switched to UVerse last fall.  I still feel like I should kick myself for not being more careful reading fine print, so to speak, as one of the key reasons we switched (2 HD TV and 2 DVRs (one hardwired and 2nd wireless) from Direct TV, was the "claim" that 4 shows could be recorded simultaneaously.  But now, I guess I know what "up to" 4 shows means.  I feel as if the promotion of the benefits was a bit disingenuous, implying that 4 programs could be recorded at the same time!  I can understand that this would have to include a live show being watched; but I still feel as tough truly only 3 shows can be recorded simultaneously.

Please understand that I am not holding you personally responsible for AT&T's marketing.  But since you are a regular contributor and seem to "know your stuff" I am curious as to your opinion and appreciate your suggestions.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

11 years ago

@drchachacha wrote:

HI. Your reply regarding this issue has basically been helpful.  But, I am still wondering why I cannot record a (4th) show WHILE  we are watching it, for latter review?  Can you explain further?

Thank you.

P.S. I am glad that I finally took the time to log into a forum to research this question that has been puzzling me since we switched to UVerse last fall.  I still feel like I should kick myself for not being more careful reading fine print, so to speak, as one of the key reasons we switched (2 HD TV and 2 DVRs (one hardwired and 2nd wireless) from Direct TV, was the "claim" that 4 shows could be recorded simultaneaously.  But now, I guess I know what "up to" 4 shows means.  I feel as if the promotion of the benefits was a bit disingenuous, implying that 4 programs could be recorded at the same time!  I can understand that this would have to include a live show being watched; but I still feel as tough truly only 3 shows can be recorded simultaneously.

Please understand that I am not holding you personally responsible for AT&T's marketing.  But since you are a regular contributor and seem to "know your stuff" I am curious as to your opinion and appreciate your suggestions.

What is your profile?  Depending on your profile, 4 shows can be recorded at once...as long as one is SD.  3HD/1SD.

Some customers (N. Texas) have gotten a 4HD/0SD profile so we (me!) can record 4 HD streams at once but that doesn't allow watching a different HD channel/stream.  Recording/watching 4 HD streams is the limit at this time.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

drchachacha - Let me interject a different way of describing the problem - It is complicated because there are a number of different limits & you have to trace the path from the input to the house to STBs & DVR, These limits are often called choke points. At any point, what is the maximum allowed (choke limit).

Entering the house - max is four streams - May be 4 HD or less.
Entering the DVR - max is 3 HD and 1 SD (some people are starting to see 4 HD ) Either watching on the DVR or recording on the DVR are counted as entering the DVR.
Up to seven other STBs in the house can watch any streams left that are not entering the DVR or watch a duplicate of any stream already entering the house.

So, the DVR is the choke point & seems to be ready to move up to four.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have this same problem, my house has 5 tvs.  At any given time, there are four differnent programs running and if a scheduled recording starts, we have to either turn off a tv or stop the recording.  I just got this service last week and was NEVER TOLD that this would be a problem.  THe sales person and the tech that came new that we had 5 tvs.  WHy sell DVRs and service for 5 when there is such a problem with bandwith and streaming videos?  I called customer service only to be told there is nothing they can do.  I feel this is fraud.  they sell you a product that they know that they CANNOT even provide a service for.  I was told I could record up to 4 shows at a time.  NOT THE CASE,  we cannot record and watch at the same time.  They need to be upfront with you on these problems.  I see that I am not the only one, there seems to be a big problem with this.  WHY CAN'T such a huge company like this solve this problem?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have this same problem, my house has 5 tvs.  At any given time, there are four differnent programs running and if a scheduled recording starts, we have to either turn off a tv or stop the recording.  I just got this service last week and was NEVER TOLD that this would be a problem.  THe sales person and the tech that came new that we had 5 tvs.  WHy sell DVRs and service for 5 when there is such a problem with bandwith and streaming videos?  I called customer service only to be told there is nothing they can do.  I feel this is fraud.  they sell you a product that they know that they CANNOT even provide a service for.  I was told I could record up to 4 shows at a time.  NOT THE CASE,  we cannot record and watch at the same time.  They need to be upfront with you on these problems.  I see that I am not the only one, there seems to be a big problem with this.  WHY CAN'T such a huge company like this solve this problem?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.