For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
hookum's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 13th, 2015 1:50 PM

Rate Change

I love that ATT has raised their rates roughly the same ammounts for all their holdings.  I have talked to Direct TV, whoes rates have gone up between 6-$7 a month, even though I am still under contract for the first year.  Then I see my internet bill has gone up the same amount.  Now I see my landline phone bill has gone up.  Whats next ATT? My Cellphone bill.  I see you think we'll just raise them a little bit and noone will notice, but when you get 4 bill from ATT a month, a $28 - $30ish raise is a lot.  Whats the point of being locked into a contract when you raise the rates at will?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@hookum wrote:

I love that ATT has raised their rates roughly the same ammounts for all their holdings.  I have talked to Direct TV, whoes rates have gone up between 6-$7 a month, even though I am still under contract for the first year.  Then I see my internet bill has gone up the same amount.  Now I see my landline phone bill has gone up.  Whats next ATT? My Cellphone bill.  I see you think we'll just raise them a little bit and noone will notice, but when you get 4 bill from ATT a month, a $28 - $30ish raise is a lot.  Whats the point of being locked into a contract when you raise the rates at will?

You are still seeing the same $$ off the regular price you saw b4 the annual price change.  That is how ATT Uverse bills, x$$ off the price, they don't guarantee a certain price point.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB418359

😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

9 years ago

ATT raises there rates every February, check here for the info on the increase.

As for Directv, you have to talk to them about there increase.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I wish the phone and internet were only $1, they both went up $7 each.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

@hookum wrote:
I wish the phone and internet were only $1, they both went up $7 each.

No single thing went up $7.  But... I could see that between the increase in the package rate ($4), the broadcast fee ($1) and the STB fee (@$1) you could get to $7.  But I don't see how phone went up $7.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

9 years ago

My total Uverse bill went up $11 (Internet and U200 TV).  I particularly like the way the U200 $3 a month increase was presented on the bill.  "This plan is $77 per month. You removed this plan on 2/18..."  Then added "This plan is $80 per month. You added this plan on 2/18..."  Funny, I don't remember calling on the 18th to say, "Please cancel my $77 U200 plan and add an $80 U200 plan."  Then each of my 4 receivers went up from $8 to $9.  Internet went up $1.  And broadcast TV went up $1.60 included taxes and fees.  Local TV is now costing $11.22 a month.

So my bill for TV and Internet is $168.45 per month.  Internet $51.40 for 18Mb; TV $117.05 for U200 and local channels.  I watch maybe 15 of the U200 channels and less than a third of the local channels.  This message may get bleeped, but for me, it's time to start opening those 10 promotions from Comcast and Dish Network I get each month and find a better deal.  AT&T, you could have left it alone and continued collecting $157 a month, but no you had to see how much more you could get without losing customers.  Well, now you know.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

One problem is that AT&T has to negotiate with their suppliers and their suppliers always want more money.  Look around this forum at those howling about how Fox Sports 1 is giving AT&T an alternate feed because AT&T hasn't (yet) agreed to pay extra for new programming Fox has added to this channel.  Local channels get compensated for allowing their programming to be redistributed, too.

And yes, on top of all that, AT&T wants to make something called "a profit."

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

9 years ago

I don't disagree with anything you say.  You make a pretty good case for per-channel charging, though, as I have no use for any of the sports channels, foreign language channels, and certainly none of the popup infomercial channels.  For our house, U200 is really U25.  As to local, I may watch 4 of the 15 or 18 local channels, most of which are Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese.

A profit is why business exists.  I've paid approximately $400 each for the four set top boxes--none of which are the current model, btw.  That doesn't include the wireless stb that I paid an initial fee and which never worked properly.  And I've paid nearly $350 for the old technology router that doesn't even have the current 802.11(n) wireless, so I had to buy a separate 802.11n WAP.  I think I've chipped in quite enough profit on those items of obsolete technology.

The market economy is a wonderful thing.  You make as much profit as you can, but if you make too much, then it becomes an opportunity for others.  Besides AT&T, we have Comcast as an available ISP.  Besides AT&T, we have Dish Network and Comcast for TV.  Soon, we'll have still another ISP service.  Yes, profit is why businesses exist, and competition is what prevents excessive profit.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

9 years ago

Hookum, I have two words for your phone bill problem:  Magic Jack.  I've had it for three years.  It costs $20 a year ($15 if you prepay five years) and includes 48 state long distance and voice mail that will send your voice messages to your email as wav files.  I have the Magic Jack device connected to a cordless phone base station, then four cordless phones thoughout the house.  It's voice over IP, just like all the other phone companies, just cheaper.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@FormerWillyb wrote:

A profit is why business exists.  I've paid approximately $400 each for the four set top boxes--none of which are the current model, btw.  That doesn't include the wireless stb that I paid an initial fee and which never worked properly.  And I've paid nearly $350 for the old technology router that doesn't even have the current 802.11(n) wireless, so I had to buy a separate 802.11n WAP.  I think I've chipped in quite enough profit on those items of obsolete technology.

I do not undertstand the (bolded) statement above.  Are you saying you've paid in that much on your 'rental' fees?  Because if you actually PAID for those STBs, you did something wrong.  They are not available for sale.

Since it was rental fees, you've no doubt had equipment (DVR?  STBs? RG?) replaced at no charge.

Mentor

• 

89 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Skeeter.  Those are totals of the rent I have paid for those boxes.  I would never have purchased one, even if I could, at those prices!  The equipent rental should work like cell phones.  If you get a new phone at a bargain price, the difference is built into the rate plans you have available.  Then, when the two year contract is up, you are free to change to a much better and cheaper plan (although no one will notify of of that).  You can opt to get another new technology phone, or you can keep your old iPhone 4s and have a cheaper service.

Something like that for STBs and DVRs and RG's would be nice.  You can buy one for MSRP, or you can pay for it with a contract term.  Then after some time, you can "trade up" to the newest STB's or just stop paying the equipment fee.  Just a thought.

Yes, I had the DVR replaced when the hard drive went out.  Just like if I had bought an extended service contract on a piece of electronic equipment.  The option to purchase, though, would give a little more flexibility.  $400 for a $90 STB is more than enough to have purchased the box and a four year service plan, and still have $200 or so left over.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.