Get the myAT&T app
jh1978's profile

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

Wednesday, March 30th, 2011 8:01 AM

Questions about Installation

So after checking the website for nearly 2 years U-Verse is finally arrived in my area. Im getting the triple bundle with max internet speed, u450 for TV, and phone. My coming in from directv tv and charter internet. Im hoping my install goes smoothly given its on april fools day. I currently have 4 HD DVR's with both coax and ethernet in every room (for directv's multi room dvr feature). Would it be best to ask the installer to use ethernet for the TV's or coax? Also we have allot of devices we connect to the net. We have 3 computers, 2 phone's that use wifi, and 2 xbox's. Will u-verse allow me to use my wireless router and hub? Thanks in advance for the suggestions I will post here as the install gets complete.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

328 Messages

13 years ago

Yes you can use your own router with Uverse. Coming from DirecTV you will more than likely see a degredation of your HD PQ. AT&T does not allow a high enough bitrate for their HD. They offer HD Lite compared to DirecTV's HD PQ. But I hope you are happy with your service.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

I have no problems with UV's HD, so that is a matter of opinion. Smiley Wink

When the installer comes, they will do a walk-thru with you to take an assessment of your setup.  Unless you plan to keep DTV, then they can use your existing coax, and test for signal strength.  New coax ends will be applied to each end, front/behind wall plates--so have any furniture moved away from the walls (they won't move furniture).

If you have a preference for Ethernet, let them know.  Some people use the STBs Ethernet port to get online access for streaming services, and going with coax for the STB leaves that port open without additional equipment.

The UV boxes are HD ready, and you only get 1 DVR, and an STB is required for all other TVs.  Since you have Xbox, you can use it as an STB and avoid the extra rental fee monthly.  But the installer needs to know as there is a converstion kit to install (extra fee).

More info about Xbox as an STB here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers/XBOX-360-as-Set-Top-Box-11-7-2010/td-p/2146449

The UV RG (router/modem) only has 4 Ethernet ports, so if you have will fill that up if you go with all TVs on Ethernet.  In that case you will need a switch (not a hub).

Yes, you can use another router behind the UV RG for Wireless and other Ethernet devices.  Wi-Fi is built into the UV RG; just turn off that WAP and use your own router.

If you think you might want to add service to another room in the future, or move an STB to a spare room sometime for a guest; make sure the installer provisions lines in other rooms at the install (saves money for a future service call).

edit to add URL

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

yeah Hallmark is of no interest to me. One thing Im wondering is ondemand do they offer HD titles for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz etc like the cable companies?

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

thank you for the reply. I have done allot of research about the PQ and am not worried about it. I will trade in some picture quality for the additon of more HD channels and true ondemand. 🙂

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

OK, great, and good luck with the install.  Let us know how it goes.

BTW, Hallmark is no longer on UV, if that is important to you.

There is no local feed of Local on the 8's, The Weather Channel (but there is an ATT Weather App).

If you're a Sports fan, best to inquire or read through the forums to make sure UV carries games for your favorite teams in your area.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

13 years ago

As far as premium channels On Demand HD, U-verse has HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Encore,  and Showtime.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

Hmm...I answered that, but now my post is missing.  The OPs last post was duplicated, guess my reply was attached?  Showing 4 posts for the OP, but I can only find 3 (minus the deleted one).  Forum glitch?  Smiley Surprised

Back OT--I stated that The Movie Channel and Flix are the only Premium channels w/o HD, in addition to those you listed.

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

13 years ago

perfect, thanks for the replies guys.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

There is one other item I thought of--the issue with 5.1 sound drop-outs.  It doesn't affect everyone, and seems to depend on the equipment/receiver.

But, a heads-up, just in case; and lots of reading, here.  Be aware the issue goes back beyond 2010, but the long thread with that topic was lost in a forum merge.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

13 years ago

How did the install go?

@jh1978 wrote:

perfect, thanks for the replies guys.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.