Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Question about new charges

Tutor

Question about new charges

Today I called to move my existing U-verse svc to my new home. I renewed my contract in September. The person I spoke to said that when I move all I have to do is call to move the svcs and add the amount of new receivers and I wouldn't have to pay the monthly charge nor any installation fees. When I called today and spoke to Allison she said I had to pay $10 per month for each additional receiver plus a one time fee for each receiver of $49???!!! This is not what I was promised. If I'm not given what I was promised I will contact BBB and the OOP because now I'm questioning your integrity as a company... bcus I pay my U-verse and cell hone every month... I was thinking of getting Digital Life for my new home... but now do you really think I want your svcs???? I rather pay the $180 ETF and be done with you guys bcus I cannot trust that you will honor anything you promise.... so much for platinum customer huh....

Message 1 of 9
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎10-27-2016 3:48 AM

Re: Question about new charges

The $49 is not an installation fee (that is $99), but a one time charge for wireless receiver(s).

Promotion includes a free DVR and may include (1) additional receiver during promotion at no charge. All other receivers have a $10 per month fee, wireless have one time charge plus monthly fee.

From the Uverse fine print details....

Wireless Receiver: A one-time fee of $49 plus a recurring monthly fee of $10 per wireless receiver applies. Wireless from the Wireless Access Point to the Wireless Receiver, power outlet, and separate connection of Wireless Receiver to TV are required. For residential use in a single household only. Limit two Wireless Receivers per household. Customer responsible for use of Wireless Receiver. Actual range of wireless signal will vary and may be limited by several factors including, but not limited to, electromagnetic interference, home construction material, obstructions, and other environmental factors.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (2)
Message 2 of 9
Tutor

Re: Why lie to your customers??? What's the purpose??

That is not what I was promised!!!! I will be contacting BBB, FCC and your OOP to file a complaint
Message 3 of 9
Mentor

Please tell me where this so-called "fine print" is about this new "Receiver Fee" that has never appeared on my bill before? I have been staring at my bill for the past week trying to figure out how it went up $16 beyond the $12 for 2 movies I watched on demand. Today I finally realized there is a new charge appearing called a "Receiver Fee". AT&T hits you with a new unannounced $10 Receiver Fee each month. It apparently became effective June 14, 2018, so I was charged with a prorated fee for June, i.e., $6, plus another $10 for July. I have had AT&T service for around 25 yrs., or longer, but I think it is time to dump it, and all cable tv, if they can get away with imposing fees for something new without any regulating authority oversight. Or, maybe I'll switch to WOW or Spectrum!

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Hopalong_1

It may be new to you but it isn't really new.  Did you make any service changes recently?  If so that's what triggered the equipment fee.  The terms of service changed around January 2015.  Charge is $2, $4, $7 or $10 depending on your plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9
Employee

There has always been a fee for receivers beyond the free DVR.

Many yeard ago was $8, then $9 and few years ago (2015 or 2016) went to $10.

You may have been under a promotion of 6 months, 12 months or 24 months. There was a point in time Uverse offered up to 4 receivers for free during 24 month promotion. If only needed one extra, received 1 extra... End of promo would be charged then current fee. If had service installed in June 2016, promo expire in June 2018.

https://m.att.com/shopmobile/legal/terms.uverseAttTermsOfService.html?referrer=

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

@Hopalong_1 wrote:

It apparently became effective June 14, 2018, so I was charged with a prorated fee for June, i.e., $6, plus another $10 for July.

Note that the original post is dated Oct. of 2016 so it ain't new at all.  

AS stated, there's ALWAYS been receiver charges.  Heck, I've had UV since 2007 and I want to say they were $4 or $6 dollars each back 11 years ago.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 9
Mentor

I've compared my current bill to previous bills and I can say that there has never been a "Receiver Fee". However, I have had an HD fee for well over 15 yrs.

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

Then consider yourself lucky.  

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support