Get the myAT&T app
tommydkat's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, January 30th, 2013 4:52 PM

Question about U-verse iPad app and home DVR subscription

Hi!  A friend of mine has AT&T U-Verse service for TV and Internet access.  She's got a total of 3 DVRs in her house, I think. At least she's got one DVR and a total of three U-verse receivers in her house.  Anyway, she was doing some cleaning and disconnected her living room U-verse DVR.  She reconnected it and eventually discovered she can no longer schedule shows to be recorded from her iPad, something she WAS able to do before disconnecting her living room DVR.

So, I went over there and took a look.  She's got the "U-Verse v. 2.7.1 build 3091" iPad installed and it CAN communicate with her living room DVR. I can see the MAC address of the iPad with the living room reeiver tuned to channel 9301.  The iPad app can change the channel being shown on her TV.  So, the two devices ARE communicating.  I can also use the U-verse remote, on her iPad, to record a show which is currently being shown on TV.  The *only* thing she can't do is schedule a show to be recorded from her iPad.

When we try to look at the recordings on her iPad in the U-verse app, we get this message displayed:

---------- START ----------

Recordings tab:

This tab shows the list of Scheduled and Recorded shows on the home DVR.  According to our records, you are not subscribed to a home DVR. Please contact customer care at 800-ATT-2020 if you feel is in error or if you wish to subscribe to a DVR.

-------- END -------------

So, I'm thinking this is preventing the iPad app from allowing the scheduling of recording of future shows.  We've reset the living room DVR and have uninstalled and re-installed the iPad app but to no avail.

How can we resolve this?  We called AT&T customer service and ultimate the representative determined there wasn't anything he could do to solve the problem.  That's why I'm coming here.  🙂

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

tommydkat - OK, We know that the WRA is working. I would like you to carefully go back to rebooting in the correct sequence.

Look carefully at the three STBs. Two are the same and one is different. If you cannot see a difference in the size, look at the model numbers.

The one that is different is the DVR. The other two are STBs.

Pull the AC plug on the RG, DVR and other STBs.
Replug the RG - wait for green lights
Replug the DVR - wait for picture.
Try the ipad app before doing the STBs
Do STBs, then try the ipad app.

Is the DVR connected to the RG via a cat5 cable? If not, if it is connected COAX, can you replace it with a temporary connection with cat5, then do the reboot sequence.

If you have not yet reached your limit, you can try the easy remote apps. The recordings are accessed by a button.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
tommydkat - OK, We know that the WRA is working. I would like you to carefully go back to rebooting in the correct sequence.

Look carefully at the three STBs. Two are the same and one is different. If you cannot see a difference in the size, look at the model numbers.

The one that is different is the DVR. The other two are STBs.

Pull the AC plug on the RG, DVR and other STBs.
Replug the RG - wait for green lights
Replug the DVR - wait for picture.
Try the ipad app before doing the STBs
Do STBs, then try the ipad app.

Is the DVR connected to the RG via a cat5 cable? If not, if it is connected COAX, can you replace it with a temporary connection with cat5, then do the reboot sequence.

If you have not yet reached your limit, you can try the easy remote apps. The recordings are accessed by a button.

Thanks for the info and thanks again for the help.  Part of the problem is I don't have convenient access to the hardware, so it's challenging for me to do these things in a timely fashion.  🙂

In any event, I have another update.  My friend called AT&T to ask about the "home DVR not subscribed" issue and AT&T confirmed her DVR *is* properly "subscribed" or "registered".  They also had her install the U-Verse iPhone app on her iPhone and she IS able to schedule recordings, as she desires.  So, the issue appears to be with the U-Verse app on the iPad or at least on HER iPad.

Right now, she's able to use the "Record" button in the U-Verse app on her iPhone to schedule recordings and she's able to use the AT&T website on her iPad to schedule recordings.  This should be sufficient for her.  When I'm able to do so,  I'll try the process you describe above.  If my memory serves me, the DVR appeared to be a physically larger box than the other two boxes and the DVR was the first box I turned on and reset after powering everthing down and after powering up the gateway.

Thanks!

Peace...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

The DVR is connected to the gateway via coax.  The problem there is, the gateway is located in a bedroom and the DVR is located in the living room, with the coax being hidden (either under the floor or in the wall or something). 

Thanks!

Peace...

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

tommydkat - There is an STB in the bedroom connected to the RG via cat5?? Yes??
Swap that STB & the DVR.

Before whole house DVR feature, the DVR was paired with the most used TV to allow for live trick play. Whole house DVR feature allows live trick play on all STBs. Now the DVR is best paired with the least used TV.

The best place for the DVR is in the bedroom adjacent to the RG, connected cat5.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.