For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
sgarnold's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, August 6th, 2015 5:05 PM

Property Damage Claim

While drilling through my house's exterior brick wall (with the wrong drill bit), an ATT technician created a 3 feet x 5 feet gaping hole. Taking full responsibility, he filed a claim. His supervisor came out and inspected it, concurred that it was their responsibility and forwarded the request that we be reimbursed. After weeks of negotiation, and my interior wall exposed to the elements in Texas, Teneasha agreed verbally to pay for the damage and then followed up with an email requesting that we send her the invoice.

We proceeded with the $2,800 repair and filed the bill as instructed.

Now, eight weeks later, ATT's Claims Department "Patrick" refuses to pay the bill, stating that we must have had a faulty wall. Moreover, we were told that we need to "prove" by hiring an engineer, that we didn't have a faulty wall.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

When we asked for an explanation for the change of stating they would reimburse us for their accident, he told us to take it to court because that was our right to do so.

The local office didn't understand why the claims department would take this stance since they admitted to the accident and assessed that it was their fault for the damage.

I can't believe a company would act so disingenuously. I want answers and I want to be reimbursed for their mistake.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Do you by chance have the techs name and employee ID?  Even better, his supervisors name and employee ID?  I would pass that info on to someone as they both took blame for the incedent so they should be able to reach them for a statement and then cut you a check.

Well unless there was more work done than just fixing the damage AT&T caused.  Seems like $2800 to fix a few bricks is a little high but maybe.......

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

I'll jump in since I had damage, filed a claim and WAS reimbursed.

When the installer FELL through our ceiling (over the garage), he filled out the form and told us who to contact (Sedgwick).  Communication went as it should have.  We got estimates (as requested) for the ceiling and the damage to our car.  They were reasonable.  I faxed all information to the adjustor and received a check a few weeks later.

Did you get an estimate before the work was done?  Were you told to get estimates first before shelling out the money with no guarantee of being reimbursed?  

The process works and works quite well as long as all parties do their due deligence.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Skeeterin Texas: Did you get an estimate before the work was done? Were you told to get estimates first before shelling out the money with no guarantee of being reimbursed?

Answer: Because there was a gapping hole, exposed to the elements, the claims department told my husband to get it fixed ASAP and submit them the invoice. As long as it was under a certain threshold, they would reimburse him.

Again, the ATT technician and the ATT inspector both took full responsiblity and filed the claim up to Sedgwick to pay. Sedgwick agreed to pay it, then once the invoice arrive (under the threshold), they refused and told me to hire an engineer  or take them to court to get them to reconsider.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@sgarnold wrote:

Skeeterin Texas: Did you get an estimate before the work was done? Were you told to get estimates first before shelling out the money with no guarantee of being reimbursed?

Answer: Because there was a gapping hole, exposed to the elements, the claims department told my husband to get it fixed ASAP and submit them the invoice. As long as it was under a certain threshold, they would reimburse him.

Again, the ATT technician and the ATT inspector both took full responsiblity and filed the claim up to Sedgwick to pay. Sedgwick agreed to pay it, then once the invoice arrive (under the threshold), they refused and told me to hire an engineer  or take them to court to get them to reconsider.

Yes, we got the estimates, submitted the paperwork, received the check and only THEN did we proceed with repairs.  I don't remember any discussion of a threshold.

It is risky at best to pay the money and assume you will be reimbursed.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

We did not assume we would get reimbursed...we were told by Sedgwich that we WOULD be reimbursed and to proceed with the repair to prevent additional damages to the house.

This was a 3x5 foot exposed area of the house.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

ATT did not deny damaging the property...they just don't want to pay for it now.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

I would guess that a large percentage of installs require drilling into exterior bricks.  I know mine did.  I just can't wrap my head around a drill bit large enough to accomodate the wiring into the house causing a HUGE gapping hole (brick & sheetrock).  Did you witness the brick wall collapse?  How did the sheetrock fall? It seems like that would require a sledgehammer.

A clumsy installer missing a rafter in the attic and stepping through the sheetrock, yes, but a 3'x5' hole from a drill bit?  Perhaps that is why they are asking for an engineer's report and questioning the amount of the claim.

If memory serves me, I cost me $200 to replace the 2 sheets of sheetrock in the garage and the car damage was around $1,000.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

I would guess that a large percentage of installs require drilling into exterior bricks.  I know mine did.  I just can't wrap my head around a drill bit large enough to accomodate the wiring into the house causing a HUGE gapping hole (brick & sheetrock).  Did you witness the brick wall collapse?  How did the sheetrock fall? It seems like that would require a sledgehammer.

A clumsy installer missing a rafter in the attic and stepping through the sheetrock, yes, but a 3'x5' hole from a drill bit?  Perhaps that is why they are asking for an engineer's report and questioning the amount of the claim.

If memory serves me, I cost me $200 to replace the 2 sheets of sheetrock in the garage and the car damage was around $1,000.

My exact reason for posting this above: "Well unless there was more work done than just fixing the damage AT&T caused.  Seems like $2800 to fix a few bricks is a little high but maybe......."

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

@skeeterintexas wrote:

My exact reason for posting this above: "Well unless there was more work done than just fixing the damage AT&T caused.  Seems like $2800 to fix a few bricks is a little high but maybe......."

Great minds, BeeBee, great minds... Smiley LOL

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Ironically enough, I work for an engineering firm. The issue was the use of a wrong bit, coupled with drilling from the interior to the exterior (it should have been from the exterior to the interior). When he hit the brick, after drilling through drywall, he pushed his body weight into it (as it wasn't going through easy). He was drilling in the center, between two beams, the weakest point. The bricks then collapsed and left a 3x5 feet space. It was improper procedures that caused this collapse. They took full responsibility... I would bet money that this third-party claims department receives bonuses for "saving" ATT money...AKA, denying legitimate claims.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.