Get the myAT&T app
Mwendel's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 12:36 AM

Over billed?

I'm wondering if it is standard practice for AT&T to charge the full $92 monthly rate for 1.5 days of service. The technician wasn't even finished installing my service until 4:00 pm on 6/29 yet I was charged the full months worth of service. Had this been made clear I would have had service set up on the 1st of July instead. Very poor customer service. Additionally I was told by the sales rep when setting up that there were no equipment fees, yet on my bill I'm clearly being charged equipment fees making my bill be higher than what I thought I was originally agreeing to. On top of this it seems like my bill will be going up another $10 at the end of June when the HD technology fee promotional period ends. At no point was I made aware this rate would only last one month until I received my first bill, bringing my bill to almost $20 more per month than what I was being made to believe I had signed up for.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

1) Your first month is prorated to the cycle date (i.e. you are charged a fraction of the cost equal to the fraction of the month between your installation date and your cycle date).  Then you are charged a full month from that point on.  It should be fairly well spelled out on your bill.

2) Anyone who told you there would be no equpiment fees misspoke.  The first receiver (the DVR) is free.  Every other receiver costs.  You do also have to pay the monthly fee for the gateway.

3) Yes, there is a $10/month HD technology fee if you want the HD versions of the channels.  You can elect not to pay it and watch SD channels.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

IMO, the $10 monthly HD fee could probably be temporarily waived for a new customer. YMMV, but I've got them to give me all sorts of promotions and discounts through the years. The rumor is that newer customers typically get "free upgrade offers" and not "discounts off your current bill offers" but it's always worth calling in and seeing what they can do.

However, if you get U-450, you get the $10 HD fee included. I believe, although not sure, that you can also get one additional receiver included in that as well. It may be beneficial to upgrade, especially if you watch lots of HBO or Cinemax.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I misread the bill with regards to the prorate my apologies on that. I'm still upset that it was never made aware to me that the HD technology fee discount was only a one month promotional rate. There was no point where it was mentioned that it was only temporary. I was also never told about the fee for the gateway until I saw my bill. I was told my monthly bill was going to be around $91 for everything including the equipment before tax, when in reality I will be more $108. These are things that should be brought up when discussing the rates during the sign up process, rather than telling the customer that they are getting something that they really are not.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same issue.  They give you a monthly rate to get you to sign up but they don't tell you all the extras.  Yes - it clearly states it on the bill but that's not the point.  The point is that you were told one price when you agreed to sign up but you are actually paying a different price.  And they lock you into a contract so you can't cancel even though you weren't given all of the information.  Not very ethical.  If they had to conduct business in the real world they would never get away with this.  But since they are AT&T, you just have to bend over and take it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I bought the U-Verse bundle, in may 2015, with taxes + insurance, $104.20, it is up to $194.53.august 2015, this is not the bundle I bought. I will not pay over my $104.20, I honor my contract, AT&T will Honor it too, because $104.20 is all they will get. or they can pick thier equipment up

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I read your information.  Was it resolved?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I've been overcharged multiple times. AT&T has failed to cancel a previous account though I have called multiple times and asked them to do so. Because of my old account, I can't even access my new account information. I was told my new bill would be about $43 a month... Yet I'm getting emails every time I turn around charging me $100 or more. It's like I'm being charged for multiple installation fees because they're taking advantage of my inability to view my account information. And, of course, every time I'm able to call customer support they're conveniently closed. Such a large corporation should have a 24/7 customer support telephone service. Instead I've got to get on some chat service and hope a human with any ability to help me cancel my account with this awful business. I'd rather live in the stone age than pay another dime to this company.
Sorry for the rant on your post. I, too, am just VERY tired of paying my hard earned money to a company that has failed to enable me to know what I'm being charged for.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

All of this is horrible.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

ditto, AT&T does the same to me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

AT&t needs to be reported to the FFC,    They have been sued before for over charging customers, seems like they need to be sued again.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.