Get the myAT&T app
wepinto's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, March 19th, 2011 2:57 PM

New U-Verse Customer - Reno , NV

Hi all,

I recently switch over to ATT U-Verse from Charter Communications. I was a happy Charter customer for 7 years and enjoyed a blazing fast 35mbps/2.5mbps connection with sub 30ms latency to the major WestCoast POPs. The reason I switched was because my home was pre-wired with Fiber, expanded channel lineup, and only 400feet from the VRAD. Scheduled installation was great, the tech was ontime and the installation took 6 1/2 hours. 24 hours later and I've impressed with the quality of the TV portion of the service, but the high speed internet is terrible.

1) The routing seems to be fubared with my connection, I have a 100mbit dedicated line at work which is also serviced by ATT. Before on Charter I could reach my work's network in 5 hops with excellent latency. Now I reach it in 12 hops, never using the ATT backbone to reach the network, instead it chooses Level3 as it's desired path with several timeouts along the way.

2) Doing an ip2location on the public WAN IP assigned to my router, shows that I'm located in Washington D.C. when I'm actually in Reno.

3) Running a speed test at http://www.att.com/speedtest/ results in a 9mbps/2.7mbps speed, no where near what I'm paying for. Below are the displayed stats from my 2wire gateway. I have 30 days to cancel this service, and will do so if I don't find a way to improve the internet portion of this service.

DSL Details Down Up

Modem TypeBuilt in modem - VDSL
Connection Type 

DSL LineCOAX

User Rate32343 kbs5040 kbs
Max User Rate56104 kbsNot Available
Noise Margin17.2 dBNot Available
Attenuation14.0 dBNot Available
Output Power9.8 dBm-13.7 dBm

ProtocolG.993.2 
ChannelInterleaved 
DSLAM Vendor InformationCountry {65461} Vendor {CXSY} Specific {12291 }
Rate Cap32344 kbs 
Attenuation @ 300kHz6.5 dB 
Uncanceled Echo0.0 dBOk
VCXO Frequency Offset0.0 ppmOk
Final Receive Gain2.0 dBOk
Excessive Impulse Noise0Ok

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

No problem.

For the past 3 weekends in a row, there have been intermittent routing issues in AT&T's network, likely as the result of a system-wide upgrade and/or reconfiguration.  I'm hoping this is a subtle sign that they are addressing some of their network issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.