Get the myAT&T app
Cornerstone-LLC's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, February 26th, 2013 1:31 AM

Need help with adding a router to an existing Uverse setup

Hello - long story but I will try to keep it short. I need to add a router to my computers built-in Ethernet port. I use Uverse wireless for Internet - my Dell has both the wireless and the built-in Ethernet ports. Once the router is connected I loose the Internet. If I hover my pointer over the wireless connection it states I am connect and that I have wireless Internet but the Browser just stalls and will not load.

I have tried two different routers and the result is the same.

Why ????????????

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I don't understand why would he want to set up ICS?  He just wants to use the printer as a peripheral.

Change the 168.x.x.x address on the PC to 192.168.2.2 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.  Change the address on the Printer to 192.168.2.3 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.  Ping printer from PC and get response.  Voila.

You are not setting up ICS.  ICS Service has to be 'Enabled' in Manual mode in Services.msc, in order for this to work.  If it is off, it will not work with Windows 7/8.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If the same computer is having the same behavior with different routers, I would suspect that it is either a hardware issue with the machine, or a driver issue with the Wireless card.

If the computer is using a third party config software for the wireless adapter, uninstall it, and let the Wireless Zero config for windows do the work of maintaining the wireless connection, and see what happens then.

If still having issues, and the drivers do not fix it, if there are updated ones out there, the next thing would be to contact Dell and have them fix the machine.

Now the last resort would be to download and burn to a DVD a Ubuntu .iso to run the Ubuntu liveCD, and let it see if it still has the same issues with the wireless adapter, when you use the LiveCD, vs. Windows.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Can you explain what you hope to accomplish by plugging your computer into a router?  

What is this router connected to?

When you say your computer is normally connected to AT&T wireless, do you mean it has a 3G/4G card and you're connected to AT&T's cellular network, or do you mean you're connected wirelessly to your AT&T Residential Gateway?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I tried to keep a long story short - maybe I kept it too short. I have a client who has switched from ATT DSL using a ATT provided 2wire router to Uverse. We have been attempting to get him to print to a Xerox Document Print Center 425ST using a crossover cable from the Ethernet port on the Dell direct to the Ethernet port on the printer. In the past when he was DSL the printer was attached to one of the ports on the router. Sadly the Ethernet card in the computer is not part of the Uverse 192......world - it stays in its default 169.....world. We CAN print once we go back to the 2wire scenario but then we loose Internet on the Uverse residential gateway. I can only think this is because I cannot run both the wireless card and the built in card at the same time - OR - ATT will not allow a router ( I have tried a Netgear as well and the result is the same ) - OR - I need a switch and not a router .

The ideal scenario would be to attach the printer to the Ethernet port on the current Uverse Gateway but that not possible due to distance constraints.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for the speedy response.

Cornerstone.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If they are connecting from a cross-over cable to the document center, the first thing would be that they would have to set a Static IP for the ethernet port, and the document center would also have to have a static ip and not connected to any other network in the building.

Otherwise, it is not going to work, and you will just be beating your head against the wall, wondering why when you connect the two devices with the cable and do nothing more, why it does not work. There is a little more work involved on both devices, than just connecting the cable.

As for connecting it to the RG, pulling a Cat-5e or Cat-6 would be the first thing, and best thing to do, back to a Switch such as either the Netgear Smartswitch Gigabyte series, or a decent managed switch capable of 1000mbps if in an office setting.  If the office is just in a home, something like the Netgear GS series works.

If they do not want to pull wires, there is always the use of a wireless bridge, but then you have to deal with how many other access points are around you, if the device will work properly on the bridge (all functions like copy, fax, scan from the computer software to/from the device), etc..

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Right - I have set a static IP for the Xerox ( 192.168.1.68 ) but the internal built-in NIC is at 169.blah.blah.blah. I did about 2 hours of tech support on the phone with 2nd level tech at Xerox to no avail. That's why I turned to ATT at this point. I've sorta given up on the crossover cable situation and went back to trying to keep the router in the mix with the Uverse but alas the Internet goes away when doing so. Not sure how to set  a static IP for the Internal NIC and even if I could I am not sure what to set it to.

I really agree we need a switch in here and not a router. But the user is reluctant to run a cable from the Uverse through the home. If he would do that then I would just simply attach the cable to the printer from the Uverse gateway or do as you say and get a switch from the gateway then to the printer.

I also agree that a wireless solution would be the next best option - I was considering something like a Cisco 610N connected to the Ethernet port of the printer which should convert that to a wireless device - CORRECT ?.

Cornerstone-LLC

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Actually the crossover cable should work fine, if you changed the IP on the wired NIC on your PC from the default-I-can't-find-a-DHCP-server address to a static one.

That should be as simple as going into the IP properties for that NIC in Windows and manually entering the correct subnet, but it must be a different subnet from the wireless IP address.  I'd suggest you configure the printer and PC on 192.168.2.xxx.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

A little confused on this part of your message "-can't-find-a-DHCP-server address to a static one."

Ive looked at the properties of the NIC and am not sure on how to set it to a staic IP but I iwll look again. Current subnet for the Uverse setup is 255.255.255.0 - do you have a recommendation for the built in NIC properties?

CornerstoneLLC

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Both the xerox and the computer have to be set with a static IP in the same subnet. ie computer is 192.168.1.100/255.255.255.0, xerox set for a static ip 192.168.1.102/255.255.255.0. The xerox cannot be connect to any network when you do this, or it will fail. When the setup asks for dns, just use the computer ip.

Keep in mind, ICE needs turned on in services on the computer for this to work, and aleo the computer cannot be connected to another network for this to work.

It is really Networking 101 stuff.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

"Keep in mind, ICE needs turned on in services - Can you explain ICE?

"aleo the computer cannot be connected to another network for this to work" - to be clear I still need the computer connected wireless to the Uverse so this statement has me scratching my head a bit!

Thanks

CornerstoneLLC

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.