Get the myAT&T app
Prof4ne's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 11:28 PM

How to tell if I'm qualified for the ADSL2+ Uverse service

I'm curious to know how I can find out if I qualify for this service.  I do a lot of online gaming and I've done extensive reading that VDSL Uverse is not the way to go do to Interleaving and bad routing.  I was given a suggestion to try and switch to ADSL2+ service as I don't have the TV service nor the phone, just internet.  I'm somewhat upset that I was forced to drop my old ADSL that I had absolutely no problems with for U-Verse.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@Prof4ne wrote:
I already have VDSL2 U-Verse. I was told there is ADSL2+ which uses Fast Path. That's what I'm trying to figure out if I'm qualified for.

No, IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+ generally only is available to those that are farther out than the VDSL signal will reach. 

So, since you now have VDSL Uverse, it will not be available to you at your current residence. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

http://www.att.com/u-verse/availability/index.jsp BTW, where ever you got the bad info from about UVerse having bad interleaving & routing, is actually FUD. UVerse is just a marketing name, just like Verizon uses FiOS name for their NextGen service, same as Comcast using Xfinity name for their nextgen service.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I already have VDSL2 U-Verse. I was told there is ADSL2+ which uses Fast Path. That's what I'm trying to figure out if I'm qualified for.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

As for the difference in fast path, again, it depends on your area. If you have TV/Phone/Internet, you are going to be on a VRad. If just Internet, it will be a IP/DSLAM. Only a tech or someone in the direct forum at dslreport.com, that is a tech for ATT can further answer as to what equipment you are on.

As for gaming, if this is PS3 or Xbox gaming, you will not see any problems. If through a computer, same with that on VDSL. Things have changed in the past couple of years in how things work, and have gotten better than how they were back in the beginning.

For a better understanding on Fast path, suggest reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_path http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/jul01/presentations/oksman_1_0701.pdf https://www.iol.unh.edu/services/testing/dsl/knowledgebase//ADSL_Tutorial.pdf

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I understand that the Tech has come a long way since the beginning as I used to be a full on U-Verse user in the past with TV/Net/Phone but dropped it do to me moving to an area that didn't have it yet.  It's just, I wasn't experiencing high pings and jitter with my normal DSL service like I am now, it's frustrating because of VDSL being a more modern day tech so you kinda expect a little more.

I don't want to sound like a whinning 5yo who doesn't have the best bike on the block, but I can't help being angry that I was forced (out of the blue) to upgrade to U-Verse when I was perfectly content with my original DSL.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I have never had a jitter problem or high pings. As for older DSL, the equipment and technology was beyond its time, is why the next gen replaced it.

By the way, Fast path is actually worst than Interleaved, since Fast Path is more prone to errors, even though it has lower ping times.

ADSL2+/VDSL are here to stay.

Interleaving and fastpath

ISPs (rarely, users) have the option to use interleaving of packets to counter the effects of burst noise on the telephone line. An interleaved line has a depth, usually 8 to 64, which describes how many Reed–Solomon codewords are accumulated before they are sent. As they can all be sent together, their forward error correction codes can be made more resilient. Interleaving adds latency as all the packets have to first be gathered (or replaced by empty packets) and they, of course, all take time to transmit. 8 frame interleaving adds 5 ms round-trip-time, while 64 deep interleaving adds 25 ms. Other possible depths are 16 and 32.

"Fastpath" connections have an interleaving depth of 1, that is one packet is sent at a time. This has a low latency, usually around 10 ms (interleaving adds to it, this is not greater than interleaved) but it is extremely prone to errors, as any burst of noise can take out the entire packet and so require it all to be retransmitted. Such a burst on a large interleaved packet only blanks part of the packet, it can be recovered from error correction information in the rest of the packet. A "fastpath" connection will result in extremely high latency on a poor line, as each packet will take many retries.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@Prof4ne wrote:

I understand that the Tech has come a long way since the beginning as I used to be a full on U-Verse user in the past with TV/Net/Phone but dropped it do to me moving to an area that didn't have it yet.  It's just, I wasn't experiencing high pings and jitter with my normal DSL service like I am now, it's frustrating because of VDSL being a more modern day tech so you kinda expect a little more.

I don't want to sound like a whinning 5yo who doesn't have the best bike on the block, but I can't help being angry that I was forced (out of the blue) to upgrade to U-Verse when I was perfectly content with my original DSL.

ATT is shutting down all former DSL service from the Central Office (or thru a Remote Terminal).  Those than can be are switched over to VDSL (50-55%) or IPDSLAM ADSL 2/2+ (20-30%).

ATT has stated about 20% are going to be out of luck w/DSL due to this, as all former users will not be covered by the newer implemantation. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Prof4ne is correct about the additional latency and it's one of my frustrations. For the average user, it's not a big deal.. who cares if it takes 15-20 more milliseconds to receive email/get the webpage. However with constant streaming data like FPS games, the difference can be a disadvantage.

The two choices with traditional DSL (ADSL) and U-verse (ADSL2+/VDSL2) are FastPath and Interleaved as gregzoll_1 stated. It used to be an option with DSL to get your noise profile changed, however U-verse is Interleaved only with no option to change.

For the way U-verse is setup, the best choice for customers as a whole is to stay Interleaved. However as an ISP for gamers, this leaves some room to be desired.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.