Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to get my Internet line speeds updated after bonded pair install?

How to get my Internet line speeds updated after bonded pair install?

** Sorry for cross posting, I think I originally had it in the wrong forum**

I have been plagued with slow internet speeds so a bonded pair was installed.  The highest speed I could get before the bonded pair was 18mb service.  We were only averaging 1.5 to 5mb though.  We were also experiencing pausing in our U-verse TV, and at times could not stream anything on On-demand.  We have had the modem replaced 3 times in the last month and finally a bonded pair install was recommended by the technician.  After some legwork to find the right department to request the bonded pair it is finally installed.  My service is still degraded and not performing at 18MB.  I have some wifi channel overlap from neighboring systems, but even going through the channels to find a faster signal does not last.  Even then its 8-10MB briefly before falling back to the 1.5 to 5 range.  From what I understand I am about 3500ft from the NID.  After install the Tech on site said I could qualify for 75MB service easy with what he was seeing, but at the very least I should be able to get 45MB.  Who do I have to talk to in order to have my bonded pair line re-qualified to this speed?  I have spoken to the "Complex" department and even they can just go with what the computer tells them is available.  I am getting a max attainable speed of 36-40k respectively on both lines of the bonded pair according to the modem stats.  I am throttled down to 18MB service though because that was what my address was originally qualified for before the bonded pair and upgrades in the area.  A couple houses down and they have 45MB service on 1 line.  I really like AT&T (I have Uverse, Internet, Phone, Wireless, and Digital Life), but if this cannot get upgraded I will have to jump ship for cable. 

Message 1 of 7
Professor

Re: How to get my Internet line speeds updated after bonded pair install?

I am a DSL att customer, not u-verse, so my comments are based on information I picked up reading others comments, so if I'm wrong, I'll say I'm sorry, up front:

Okay: Distance from the nearest service box is crucial... the further away you are, the weaker, and slower your signal. (one also needs to keep in mind, rarely do they run the service cable in a streight line the shortest distance between you, and the service box.)

In spite of what your service guy said, unless the put a signal booster between you and the box (also called a loop extender) 3500 feet is too far for a decent signal. Probably still usable, just not a good one. (and that appears to be what your service was rated at.)(2000 feet or less is considered the optimal maximum distance from the box to your house.)

another thing to keep in mind: Your connection is shared. Internet service is only PART of your total signal. With all those services, you are definatly getting your moneys worth, bundling wise!

Still, each takes it's slice out of the total pie.

OH! and there is also the factor that the bandwidth of the service box is shared between everyone else connected to it, so I'm betting you have the most speed issues during peak usage times.

All that having been said, I am also at a loss what, if anything, to sugest to improve things.

A bonded pair means, you have service comming in on two phone lines instead of one. In your case, it should improve things, and I'm guessing it did, just not as well as you hoped.

Sounds like you are already doing what you can to imporve your service. ANd, I pray others with WAY more knowledge and personal experiance on the topic can pass on more information and knowledge.

Good luck and god bless.

Message 2 of 7
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by slowspeedsftl
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

First a 3500 foot loop length as a single pair should have been 19M profile with 12M internet as best and 2SD/2HD for IPTV inputs. The bonded pair at this distance is 25M profile, best hsia speed of 18 with 1SD/3HD for IPTV.

For Power 45 need total max sync to be minimum of 80M  closer to 90M or over is best with good SN, this is going to be 2200 feet or less from VRAD.... Can be F, K or N card.

For Power Plus 75 need to have 115M minimum, ideally 125M plus, currently I would limit this to within 1500-1600 feet of VRAD, card can be K or N.

Next bandwidth is shared with IPTV getting preference, each HD stream uses about 6M.....

For the 25M profile with 18M internet....

No watch/record HD 25-0=25 should see 18+ hardwired hsia speed.

1 HD in use 25-6=19 should see close to 18 hardwired HSIA speed.

2 HD in use 25-6-6=13 should see 11+ hardwired HSIA speed.

3 HD in use 25-6-6-6=7 should see 5-7 hardwired HSIA speed.

Of course wireless will have even less depending on distance, number of obstacles, material of obstacles.... Best is air, followed by glass, dry wall, while thick or dense items like plaster, heating vents, wood cabinets are so/so and bricks, refrigerator, large mirrors (reflect back signal instead of passing) are worst.

Edit: as you are getting 70+M combined with long loop do not meet or approach the requirements for 45M internet unless can move closer or until the technology changes.... Uverse VDSL (a dsl variation) is distance limited and always will be. The best benefits will be for those within 1500 feet or .25 mile of VRAD, better to .4 of mile, good at .5 mile as single pair, those longer than .5 mile can receive good as bonded.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 7
Professor

@my thoughts

THAT was a very well thought out response. THANK you for that.

Definatly answered a lot of questions *I* had.

And conformed some impressions I'd sort of picked up on from other posts.

Still though, a shame top is not really helped by this, but at least they can know they they are in fact getting the best service available.

Message 4 of 7

Thank you very much for the information, even if its not what I was hoping for.  It seems I was getting differing information depending on who I spoke to at AT&T.  We have 4 HD boxes in the house, 2 wired (1 a whole home dvr), and 2 wireless boxes.  We also have 4 teenage kids so between 6 smartphones, computers, and gaming consoles it looks like we are tapped out.  I hate to leave AT&T Uverse, but since I am out of contract I think I would be better off switching to cable with its available 50mb internet packages. 

Message 5 of 7
Employee

I am in a TWC area, many here have complained that TWC HD looks like Uverse SD for picture quality and have decided not to put all the eggs in one basket. Cable for internet and Uverse for TV, may not save as much when bundled but if either service has a problem still have some service. 

Now for those who have cut the cord to internet only (stream all TV service) having two internet providers, main and backup, can be option.... Again cost versus benefit(s) have to considered on individuals bases.

If out of contract, see what new deal can be reached with RETENTIONS group.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 7

As crazy as it sounds I am out of contract, but I am not eligible to change my bundle pricing until December for some reason.  I tried to cut my home phone service since we no longer use it and even retentions could not make the change.  I can opt out of all of my services at any time, but cannot drop any individual service until my bundle price expires.  I cannot even switch to a new bundle.  If I were to keep Uverse TV and add cable internet I would have to keep paying for all 3 of my Uverse services (tv, phone, internet) through December in addition to adding cable internet.  I do not know who thinks this stuff up, but everything we have been through with AT&T leaves the customer standing in the rain...

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support