Get the myAT&T app
bmorrow492's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 10th, 2013 12:48 PM

HD only on U450?

I am considering signing up for U-Verse, but according to the "compare packages" webpage, only the U450 package has HD chanels. Is this correct?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bmorrow492 - No, the U100-300 HD channels are an addl $10 for the channels within the U level. If you go for the 450 package, the $10 fee is included in the 450 price.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Seriously? You don't get HD channels without paying extra? I'm astonished! I currently have basic analog cable and that includes HD versions of all major networks as well as other channels.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@bmorrow492 wrote:

Seriously? You don't get HD channels without paying extra? I'm astonished! I currently have basic analog cable and that includes HD versions of all major networks as well as other channels.

It must kinda sorta work the same way with Direct TV. 

My sister has DTV and refuses to pay extra for HD even though she had to buy a new tv which, of course, is HD.

Go figger......

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

bmorrow492 - You say - I currently have basic analog cable and that includes HD versions of all major networks as well as other channels.

so you need to be aware of a couple of more differences - U-verse does not deliver analog or digital channel to your house - U-verse delivers, up to four streams of IP data which must be decoded by a U-verse STB to the channel you want to watch or record.

So, if you are watching TVs with no STB, if you want to watch them on a different channel you must rent an STB. If you do not need a unique channel you can piggyback off anther STB.
Also, If you watch/record more than four channels simultaneously, U-verse is not for you.

Oh Yeah, and U-verse does not have Hallmark.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@bmorrow492 wrote:

It is like that with all Pay to watch tv providers.  I am guessing that the only way that you are getting HD with your basic cable, is that you do not have a box from your catv provider, and have the coax connected directly to your tv.  What you would be getting then, is Open QAM, which will be going away.  As for "analog", not too many catv providers are pushing analog signal, it is pretty much all digital now.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@bmorrow492 wrote:

It must kinda sorta work the same way with Direct TV. 

My sister has DTV and refuses to pay extra for HD even though she had to buy a new tv which, of course, is HD.

Go figger......

Kind of like getting married, but you do not want to pay to have an officiate or ordained minister perform the ceremony.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

@bmorrow492 wrote:

It is like that with all Pay to watch tv providers.  I am guessing that the only way that you are getting HD with your basic cable, is that you do not have a box from your catv provider, and have the coax connected directly to your tv.  What you would be getting then, is Open QAM, which will be going away.  As for "analog", not too many catv providers are pushing analog signal, it is pretty much all digital now.

Nope - some are offering free HD.  They may charge extra for HD equipment but my gut sez in a few years, HD will be included everywhere.  It's getting beyond where providers are having to outlay cash for HD retransmission equipment and it's now simply an extra profit stream.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

If they are charging extra for the equipment, then you are not getting HD free. It is still costing you for the service. As for the fee going away, doubt it will, due to you will still have customers that will refuse to update their service to HD, even though they have a hdtv in their home.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.