Get the myAT&T app
THREEYOUNG3's profile

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

Friday, December 4th, 2015 8:47 PM

Fees and Surcharges

It is funny how you can be charged fees and surcharges on agreements after the fact. It is underhanded and shady to charge these when you are given an "all-inclusive price". I specifically asked about "fees and charges" and was told that there would be tax but my all-inclusive price was all-inclusive. It is not, they lock you into a contract and charge "backdoor fees". These need to be clearly stated in advance. They amount to a 7 percent increase in billing. There is a broadcast tv surcharge, an IN local service franchise fee, and a regulatory video cost recovery charge. These total $18.49 on my first bill. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@THREEYOUNG3  Cause no matter the price, there are always fees/taxes.  If they didn't tell you that, it's on you to go to the website and see what the terms and TOS say. 😉

Edit:  To me 'inclusive' means DVR, STBs, Internet, u### plan.  Just that, not fees/taxes.  Imagine this Feb you'll complain again about the price increases you will have to pay.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@THREEYOUNG3 wrote:

It is funny how you can be charged fees and surcharges on agreements after the fact. It is underhanded and shady to charge these when you are given an "all-inclusive price". I specifically asked about "fees and charges" and was told that there would be tax but my all-inclusive price was all-inclusive. It is not, they lock you into a contract and charge "backdoor fees". These need to be clearly stated in advance. They amount to a 7 percent increase in billing. There is a broadcast tv surcharge, an IN local service franchise fee, and a regulatory video cost recovery charge. These total $18.49 on my first bill. 

Apparently, you've never had a utility or other consumer service in your name that you had to pay.  There are taxes and fees on most (all?) utilities including water and electricity.  I just renewed my electric service and while they can tell me that my rate will be so much a kilowatt hour, I KNOW that there are all kinds of fees and taxes involved and they can add up quick.

Unfortunately, those companies cannot tell you what all the fees will be because many are regulated by your local/county/state governments. 

Don't like it?  Complain to city hall.

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

I purchased an "all-inclusive" plan and specifically asked about fees and it was stated that it was " all inclusive" and that taxes were the only thing not stated. Taxes are taxes and I understand that. Surcharges are just ways to increase the bill on the backside defering costs that are part of doing business without stating them up front. If a person asks what their bill will be it should be able to be stated. They can tell you up front they just refuse to. I ASKED! Backdoor fees are just a way to increase profits. City hall never hid fees and surcharges from me. If I ask I will be told.

{keep it courteous}

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

When you specifically ask you should be told. I specifally asked. Hiding surcharges to boost profits is underhanded and decietfil. Terms of service or no terms of service, hiding surcharges is wrong. ATT knows these charges and needs to state them if asked.

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T makes no money on the taxes and surcharges.  They collect it and then pay the same amount collected to the respective taxing agencys.  I will tell you that someone in a call center in Somewhere, USA is not going to know your city, county, or state tax rates, therefore they would not be able to quote them. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@THREEYOUNG3 wrote:

There is a broadcast tv surcharge, an IN local service franchise fee, and a regulatory video cost recovery charge. 

"broadcast tv surcharge" is going to recover AT&T's costs in paying the local stations that you could get for free with an OTA attenna.  Yep, AT&T is required to pay for "free TV."

"IN local service franchise fee" is a passthrough from your local franchise authority in Indiana.  All of this goes directly to the local government.  This is essentially a tax.

"regulatory video cost recovery charge" goes to pay the FCC a fee charged to Cable Television and also IPTV providers.  This is essentially a tax to the extent that the amount AT&T collects is the amount the FCC collects from them.

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

If a person asks about fees and charges then they should be disclosed the truth. Thanks, Paul

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

Do the stores you visit include the sales tax in the price tags on the items?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

Do the stores you visit include the sales tax in the price tags on the items?

*high five*

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

They do not. Do they add on fees after you agree on a price? There is no need to be condescending and rude. I specifically asked about additional charges and told that there would be none.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.