Get the myAT&T app
Nickyb's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 7th, 2014 4:11 AM

Closed

Deposit or fee? How do I get my $449 deposit back?

I have moved over to California from the UK for a year and have just been into an At&T store in Livermore to sign up to U-verse. As I have no credit history in the US they required a $449 deposit. It was made quite clear by the staff member this was a deposit which I understood to mean it would be refunded at the end of the contract. On receiving my first bill I noted it stated "one time credit fee $449" I went in to clarify that this was indeed a deposit as stated and agreed when in the store and not a fee but as no one was sure they said they would call me back. I have since been contacted by 2 separate people from AT&T who each time are not aware of the AT&T policy and say they will need to speak to their supervisors and call me back. I am still in my 30 days cool off period (just) but no one seems to know if that includes the $449 deposit/fee. There is no way I would sign up to pay $449 for the privilege of paying a further monthly fee for broad band. for one year only. I was quite clear that I was here fro one year and was expressly told it was a deposit. At no time was I ever made aware it was a non refundable fee as I would never have continued with this purchase if I had been made aware. Please and someone advise?

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @Nickyb,

I apologize about the issues you are having with getting your deposit back, but we will be glad to help. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include your name, account number, phone number, and the best time to reach you. 

Keep an eye on the at the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-David T

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Just a quick update. I checked my ATT account today and indeed it does appear that AT&T have removed the $449 charge from my account so I'l check it has gone back to my credit card. However my AT&T account now states that I am $449 in debit. To be fair the customer care lady did advise this may happen and if it did she would keep an eye on the account and re-credit it with $449 if this happened. I've also been advised that a customer care manager will contact me shortly as well regarding this issue. I'll keep you all posted.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Thank you,

Yes, please keep us posted and let us know if you need anymore help.

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The exact same thing has happened to me. If you can help me my name is Daniel. Account number

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

My number is **** best time to reach me is after 2pm central time

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

Please do not post personal info for all to see.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I have exactly the same problem, who can help me to get the deposit back??

when I paid over the phone, I was clearly told it was a deposit but when the bill comes in, they say it is a one time charge!!!! I am assigned by company to work in  Houston only for two years and no one wants to pay 449 dollar to just get the service.

my account number is

please help me , thank you.

Alice

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@alice1998k wrote:

I have exactly the same problem, who can help me to get the deposit back??

when I paid over the phone, I was clearly told it was a deposit but when the bill comes in, they say it is a one time charge!!!! I am assigned by company to work in  Houston only for two years and no one wants to pay 449 dollar to just get the service.

my account number is 136 876 394..

please help me , thank you.

Alice

When you pay on-time and continue paying on-time, you will start getting a $5 credit on your bill returning the deposit.  It may take 7 1/2 years to get it all back.

The $499 is to guarantee payment of the equipment return if the user defaults and does not return the units. 😉

Edit:  If you want to cancel service and try to get the $499 back, click the ATT Customer Care link in my signature, send the PM, explain your situation.

Include your account#, email address and a good phone # (land or cell) and time to contact you on.

Check the blue PM envelope, upper right on every page, for their reply. Good luck.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

did they solve yours? i have same problem

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you very much for your reply.

i am not canceling service now since it is a one year contract.

but by end of next June, the one year finishes, i wish they can credit it back to me at that time.

but now they are keeping on saying it is one time charge.

Alice

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.