Get the myAT&T app
j.d.b.'s profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, October 17th, 2013 12:59 AM

Closed

Data usage:Why am I not allowed to know .....?

Can anyone tell me WHY I am NOT allowed to know how much U-Verse data I use? I have spoken to at least five AT&T reps. at length. Apparently data usage is a big secret. The "data usage since last bill" page is inop. They know it, they say it will be up, but they can't say when. REALLY?. The page has a message to the effect of "you don't need to know your data usage for billing purposes, we'll let you know if you're close to or over your limit". That's unacceptable. I pay for 250 gig. Why can't I know how much I use? They must know in order to notify me or bill me for overages.  I'm allowed to see how much data I use on my AT&T wireless, AT&T home phone minutes, natural gas, electricity, water, gasoline, etc. I pay for. Why not U-Verse data usage? Maybe I'm buying too much? How can I know whether they are billig me correctly if they say I go over? The practice smells suspicious. Not one rep was able to answer. They behave as though I'm the only person who wishes to know what I am buying, and the first they have heard the question.

Thanks for reading this far.

Josh

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Currently, the 250GB limit is not being enforced, and no one has been charged any overage fees.

If they decide to change this policy and begin enforcing it and/or charging overage fees, the usage meters would have to be operational prior to that change.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much for an intelligent answer. I wonder why AT&T couldn't tell me that?

The fact that they clearly articulate a "cap" tells me they could, at any time decide to enforce it, though. I wonder if I should go ahead and reduce my plan to 150 gig and see if I even use that much?

Thanks, again,

Josh

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@j.d.b. wrote:

Thank you very much for an intelligent answer. I wonder why AT&T couldn't tell me that?

The fact that they clearly articulate a "cap" tells me they could, at any time decide to enforce it, though. I wonder if I should go ahead and reduce my plan to 150 gig and see if I even use that much?

Thanks, again,

Josh

If you have UVerse you have a 250GB "cap" that is not being enforced.  DSL had a 150GB cap that is being enforced.  You cannot pick your plan, you either have UV or DSL.

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hi Josh,

Sorry about all the inconveniences with this. I would not be too concerned with it for now for one main reason.

Taken from Broaband Usage FAQs

What will happen if I exceed my data plan?

You will receive a notice the first time your usage exceeds your data plan and will not be billed.

In the following months, we will send you additional notices any time your usage exceeds 65% and 90% of your data plan to help you track and manage your usage. The next time you exceed 150GB you'll once again be notified, but will not be billed.

It says 150GB, but for U-verse it is set at 250GB. So with that, you will receive plenty of warnings before you even have to start worrying about it.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Not true, you can have DSL that they insisted get renamed and billing changed to U-Verse where it is only DSL. It did go from 3 to 6 Mb/s here ... and they are only NOW installing what they need to really provide U-Verse here. Lucky for me after all of this the VRAD will be only one house away from me.

I have photographic proof of this on my facebook. The cabinets just went in. I watched them drill a conduit pipe thing through to pull the cables. It hasn't been hooked up and activated yet. But yet I am writing this to you on DSL from AT&T which is called U-Verse, because they insisted the billing got change to be called U-Verse. It has been a year a 2 months to get to this point. Not U-Verse yet ... but it's coming.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I believe you are correct. It's DSL that is called U-Verse. I have it for internet and phone only. It's two-wire and runs on my regular copper phone line attached to the house. They claim it's F.O., but the copper is what I'm running on, at least from my router to the telephone pole.

I have kept on digging to find out the "secret" of why I am not allowed to know my usage. I have been contacted by the "office of the president" and should expect a call within 48 hours. Here's the deal: If there is, or could suddenly be a cap, I want to know where I'm at. If I have a finite amount of something (like money or fuel) I like to know how much I'm using. If it's unlimited, then I don't care how much I'm using.  AT&T knows my usage, how else can they tell me i'm using too much? So, Bottom line:

If it's unlimited as noted above, because "the cap is not being enforced", then I'd like that in writing from AT&T. Otherwise, I want to know my usage.

Thanks for the interest and replies,

Josh

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

10 years ago

As SomeJoe stated, there is no bandwidth cap being enforce for U-verse internet.  You will receive nothing in writiting form AT&T.  Just go and enjoy your service.  There is no point in continuing to post on this subject.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you, Texasguy, but as your disclaimer states, that is your own opinion. There IS a point to my posting this.  For everything I pay for on a monthly basis I can readily know what I am buying.

Don't you find it the least bit intriguing that only my data usage is kept secret? ATT lets me know, in real time, how many voice minutes I use on my U-Verse voice service, and also my wireless data usage is shown on the home-screen of my ATT tab. Six ATT reps haven't explained why this is, nor have they been able to explain the non-functional data web page with the "don't worry" note. I see from my research that I'm not the only one interested in this situation. The more non-answers I get, the more suspicious I become.

Thank you for your interest,

Josh

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

I'm happy with the situation in so far as if AT&T actually provided such a meter, then we'd be that much closer to enforcement.  Little need for a meter if the amount doesn't matter for your biling.

If you must, must, MUST have an answer, you can read the traffic counters on the RG, if properly configured.  SomeJoe7777's utility at http://www.uvrealtime.com can assist you with that.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Okay, I just got a definititive answer from an AT&T rep. There is NO cap on U-Verse at this time. If they do bring on a cap we will all be notified by e-mail before it goes into effect. At that time they will set up their metering page. (just as posted above, but a little more official)

(you're right, though Texasguy, they won't put it in writing, but it is recorded and time-stamped).

Thank you all for your patience. If you've ever been done wrong by a company, you tend to read a little deeper into what's getting your signature. There are quite a few horror stories out there, mine was just one. The language on that metering page was very "shady" to me in light of the form I signed which stated a 250 gig limit (I came from an unlimited DSL service).

"You don't need to know", is just not acceptable. Maybe if I'm dealing with the mob, but not a company I hold many shares in.

Thank you all, again,

Josh

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.