Get the myAT&T app
Dynatrak's profile

Explorer

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 28th, 2012 1:56 AM

Changing from U-Voice to VoIP

I've dropped Uverse Voice and I'm now using an internet voice provider like MajicJack.  I would like to connect this VoIP service to my house wiring so I can connect phones to the wired jacks like I was using with Uverse Voice.  I have a 2wire gateway model 3800HGV-B.  On the back of the gateway there is a "Phone Line" connection and "Phones Lines 1 & 2" connection, both connecting to a single cable coming thru the floor.  The "Phone Line" connection is connected to the Green/White-Green pair of wires and the "Phones Lines 1 & 2" is connected to the Blue/White-Blue pair of wires.  I have disconnected cable from the "Phones Lines 1 & 2" connector on the back of the gateway and the internet and TV are still working.  I assume the Blue/White-Blue pair is connected to the wired phone jacks in my house and the "Green/White-Green" is connected to the box on the outside of my home to carry Uverse service to the gateway.  

My question is, Can I just disconnect the cable connected to the "Phones Lines 1 & 2" jack on the back of the Gateway and move it to the VoIP box phone line connection?

Will disconnecting the cable from the "Phones Lines 1 & 2" jack on the back of the Gateway isolate the Uverse wiring from the phone jacks in my house?

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Dynatrak - Sounds right to me.

Explorer

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks ACE - Wizard.  I checked the blue/white-blue wires to make sure there wasn't any voltage on them and then plugged it into the VoIP box and it worked.  Thanks again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.