Get the myAT&T app
polejack's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Friday, February 1st, 2013 8:49 PM

ATM Encapsulation Type?

We have U-Verse Internet "Max" VDSL service with a 2Wire 3800HGV-B RG.  I'm using an ASUS RT-N16 behind the RG, mostly for QoS and better control of our WLAN.  I've got the latest Toastman mod (build 1.28.7501.2) of Tomato firmware on the RT-N16.  The QoS "Basic Settings" page for this build includes a new section named "Settings for DSL only".  There's a single option in that section, "DSL Overhead Value - ATM Encapsulation Type", with a pull down menu and several values:

DSL Overhead Value - ATM Encapsulation Type:

• None
  • 32-PPPoE VC-Mux
  • 40-PPPoE LLC/Snap
  • 10-PPPoA VC-Mux
  • 14-PPPoA LLC/Snap
  • 8-RFC2684/RFC1483 Routed VC-Mux
  • 16-RFC2684/RFC1483 Routed LLC/Snap
  • 24-RFC2684/RFC1483 Bridged VC-Mux
  • 32-RFC2684/RFC1483 Bridged LLC/Snap

Does anyone know if any of these settings apply to AT&T's VDSL-based Internet service?  If not, what would the correct setting be?  Toastman is usually very responsive to suggestions and could probably add the correct option(s) for VDSL, if we know what they are.

Thanks folks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

There is no ATM or encapsulation on VDSL connections, thus this setting does not apply for your installation. See the following post:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/tomato-qos-question-all-versions-incl-toastman-shibby.63536/#post-217322

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks SomeJoe, I was pretty sure you would have (or could find) the answer to this question.

So the default setting for this is "None", and that's just where I'm going to leave it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

From the link that SomeJoe provided I found this link where the devs for this Tomato patch discuss all the ins and outs of the new feature:

http://linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/speedmod-with-tc-atm-qos-patch-for-adsl.31541

Again, this does not apply to U-verse VDSL but it sounds like it will really improve QoS on regular ADSL.  I've added some tags to thei reply that will hopeully get picked up in searches for this info by regular DSL users.  Also removed the tags from my orignal post, as they were misleading and incorrectly formatted anyway.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.