Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Uverse phased out.

Uverse phased out.

An ATT rep in our neighborhood is telling us Uverse customers that Uverse cable is phased out. ATT is no longer accepting new customers for cable and is switching over to just Direct TV. Is this true?
He told us our TV and Internet service would be stronger, we'd get more channels with Direct TV and less outages. Also, our Internet would be faster and our monthly rate would be less - $101 compared to $170 per month.
Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse phased out.

AT&T is indeed still accepting orders for U-verse TV.  The guy is a DIRECTV salesman.  You can tell when he's lying because his lips are moving.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Scholar

But isn't Directv now part of AT&T, making it an AT&T authorized lie?

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

Yes, AT&T does own DIRECTV.  However, most of the direct sales are conducted by contractor companies.  Those companies hire people who are effective, but less than scrupulous.  Yes, this gives AT&T and DIRECTV a bad name, but they don't seem to care.

These sales people have been laying out the "U-verse TV is going away" mantra ever since the sale closed last July.  While AT&T has heavily incentivized DIRECTV sales, they have not (yet) shut down U-verse TV and continue to sell it to this day, including 2 year committments.

They have said that, at some point the future, they intend to combine some aspects of DIRECTV and U-verse TV's delivery system (e.g. common set top equipment).  It may be that U-verse TV will carry on as an aspect of the DIRECTV brand name; AT&T has announced some new DIRECTV offerings coming out in Q4 that are closer to U-verse than DIRECTV.  It may be that both the U-verse TV and DIRECTV names disappear into AT&T Entertainment.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by Lingoes
‎03-27-2017 7:41 AM

Thank you for your quick and thorough reply. I just cancelled my order. I called AT&T first and they confirmed that they still were offering cable. They had to connect me to Direct-TV. So that was just another indicator that they are two separate operations. Thanks again for your help!
Tags (2)
Message 5 of 6

What would be nice to see is if direct tv and uverse merge the equipment in a way as to have the dish work as the main tv source opening up bandwidth on fiber lines free for Internet and if an outage for the dish occurs (bad weather) then the system utilizes the fiber line for no tv interruptions.
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support