Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 29, 2012
9:17:48 AM
Somejoe's Servers

Looks like there are some issues with your servers SJ. Last two or three days been getting a lot of "404"s in place of sigs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Looks like there are some issues with your servers SJ. Last two or three days been getting a lot of "404"s in place of sigs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Somejoe's Servers

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 10:26:30 AM
(0)
Expert
Right now it's offline doing a partition operation on a large array. I did most of that operation in the middle of the night last night, but this additional operation had to be done now.

It should be back online in a few hours.

This might be the case periodically for the next 2-3 weeks, there are multiple operations that need to be done to move a lot of data. I will try to keep as many of these offline operations in the middle of the night as possible.
Right now it's offline doing a partition operation on a large array. I did most of that operation in the middle of the night last night, but this additional operation had to be done now.

It should be back online in a few hours.

This might be the case periodically for the next 2-3 weeks, there are multiple operations that need to be done to move a lot of data. I will try to keep as many of these offline operations in the middle of the night as possible.

Re: Somejoe's Servers

2 of 11 (1,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 4:28:26 PM
(0)
Expert
Server is back up now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3 of 11 (1,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2012 4:41:18 PM
(0)
Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

No inconvenience, just didn't know if you were aware or not.

Only weirdness was using  the back button in IE, sometimes it would not work because the page load got caught in kind of loop when it couldn't find the sigs.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

No inconvenience, just didn't know if you were aware or not.

Only weirdness was using  the back button in IE, sometimes it would not work because the page load got caught in kind of loop when it couldn't find the sigs.

neon_sign.jpg

4 of 11 (1,273 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 3:47:51 PM
(0)
Employee

Beats DSLreports problems.

Beats DSLreports problems.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 11 (1,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 4:16:00 PM
(0)
Expert
Indeed, DSLReports seems to have gotten themselves into a giant pickle.

Apparently their RAID array went belly up, corrupting the entire database. My assertion is: Where is your backup? RAID arrays are for business continuity -- i.e. making sure the servers and web site stay up if a hard drive fails. RAID arrays do not protect against malware, software errors, accidental deletion, or operating system/configuration issues. That is what an offline, regular, daily backup is for.

If DSL Reports would have had a proper backup strategy in place, the answer would have been to format the drives, perform the restore, and put the web site back up. It would have taken 12 hours, tops, and they would have lost less than a day of forum and news postings.
Indeed, DSLReports seems to have gotten themselves into a giant pickle.

Apparently their RAID array went belly up, corrupting the entire database. My assertion is: Where is your backup? RAID arrays are for business continuity -- i.e. making sure the servers and web site stay up if a hard drive fails. RAID arrays do not protect against malware, software errors, accidental deletion, or operating system/configuration issues. That is what an offline, regular, daily backup is for.

If DSL Reports would have had a proper backup strategy in place, the answer would have been to format the drives, perform the restore, and put the web site back up. It would have taken 12 hours, tops, and they would have lost less than a day of forum and news postings.

6 of 11 (1,241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 4:06:03 PM
(0)
Expert
Just to let everyone know, my server will be down for 1-2 hours later this evening, starting at approximately 11:00 PM CDT. I am moving the web sites and web services to a virtual machine that can stay running while I perform offline operations on the RAID array.
Just to let everyone know, my server will be down for 1-2 hours later this evening, starting at approximately 11:00 PM CDT. I am moving the web sites and web services to a virtual machine that can stay running while I perform offline operations on the RAID array.

7 of 11 (1,222 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 4:10:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the heads up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 11 (1,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 7:35:56 PM
(0)
Employee

I take it from other conversations that DSLReports owner had really lost interest in the site. It is partly back at least Karl Bode's News. The Forums stop in 2010. Duh.

I take it from other conversations that DSLReports owner had really lost interest in the site. It is partly back at least Karl Bode's News. The Forums stop in 2010. Duh.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 11 (1,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 2:27:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SKP, that's all they had saved on other discs that didn't self destruct and could reconstruct. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

SKP, that's all they had saved on other discs that didn't self destruct and could reconstruct. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 11 (1,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 7:21:29 PM
(0)
Employee
If I was going to safe something it would be the resent stuff not the ancient past in internet time. I have a feeling the site will die a slow death since so many regulars have broken the habit of checking out the site daily and moved on.
If I was going to safe something it would be the resent stuff not the ancient past in internet time. I have a feeling the site will die a slow death since so many regulars have broken the habit of checking out the site daily and moved on.

11 of 11 (1,186 Views)