Explore & discover

Helpful Links

My ports cannot be opened.

Contributor

My ports cannot be opened.

So after spending roughly 2 days dealing with the people at AT&T, both in person and several hours of time on the phones, I figured I might give these forums a shot to see if anyone here is intelligent enough to know what an apache server is when I mention it.

So I am setting up an Apache server.  LAMP to be precise.

The point of which is to host a webpage using apache, as well as a few other things.

Long story short, neither my old router, or new, will allow me ot open ports.  While the settings are correct on the router to forward the correct ports, the ports are still closed when accessed externally.

Even in DMZ mode, no ports open.

So does anyone have a solution? Both routers were set up correctly and the technician that was here the other day couldn't even explain it to me.

I was told some guys from AT&T in texas would call me today, however, they did not. 

Would love a solution.

Message 1 of 5
Professor

Re: My ports cannot be opened.

I actually know what an Apache Server is but I need some clarification as to your network configuration. You mention that you tried two routers. You intend to only use one, correct? What is the make and model of the AT&T provided router that you intend to use?

Since your web server will be accessed from the internet you are paying for a static address, correct?

Without answers to my questions I really can't suggest anything.

The previous router was the 5268AC.  I no longer have it in my possession.

This new router they just installed is the Arris NVG599, which is the one I now intend to use as it is the only one in my possession.

No, the address is not static nor is that a requirement to open a port on a router.

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

Just for further clarification.

I am not using pass-through, I am only using one router.

The router, as well as the previous router, are set up correctly.

I have worked for numerous years as a network technician.  

I am inquiring why my ports are still closed regardless of router, router settings (including DMZ mode), etc.

Message 4 of 5
Professor

Prior to researching port issue we need to understand if your server is reachable from the internet at all.

Assuming you are able to ping your server from within your own network, are you able to ping your server from the internet? Using your favorite web search site you can find a web site to ping an IP address using the search argument [ping "ip address"].

Additional Support