For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mdkFountain's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 23rd, 2015 3:29 PM

Monopolistic rate increases - any alternatives?

My rates for Home phone and internet service have increased 14% in the past year with at&t.  Customer service indicated this is "normal" rate increases.  I looked at lowering my service package but if I reduce the service options, my rates would go UP another 9% (yes, more money for less service).  AT&T has a monopoly in my service area - there are no other options for phone service that I know of - and they are taking full advantage of their position.  Does anyone know of alternatives available in areas where at&t monopolizes the home phone service market?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@mdkFountain If you still have POTS landline, they're trying to price you out of the market and get you on Uvoice.  ATT has filed to end POTS landline service in many states (have here in MI) and they want to shut it down and have everyone on VOIP systems, preferably Uvoice.

I use  Basic Talk $9.99/mo, w/taxes/fees $12.32, not $30 +++ for Uvoice or POTS. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Uverse isn't available in my area.  at&t has a true monopoly on our service as far as I can tell and we are stuck with whatever they offer at whatever price they choose.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

Basic Talk should work on your Internet connection.

https://phone.basictalk.com/

😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

It looks like a nice option, Chris.  Unfortunately, my internet is via at&t DSL and they require an at&t landline service to get the DSL.  Our only other internet options available are the satellite companies.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

Is there a cable TV provider in your area? They may offer phone services as well as TV and Internet.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I can only speak for my particular area and personal experiances, BUT, there are third party service providers who will reconnect you to telephone service, using existing lines and equipment.

Due to federal rules, ATT or whoever the monopoly provider in your area is, MUST allow those connections.

Keep in mind, I am ONLY refering to plain old telephone service, NOT internet.

In some areas, there are companies who do internet (typicaly DSL) (Century link comes to mind.. but there are lots of others, if available.) but almost no one does much in rural areas.

There are other alternatives, with their own plusses and minuses, but typicaly, if nothing else you can get satilite. Cable may be an option, but it's more costly, even with bundles. Wireless (cellular) is an option if you can get a decent signal, but limited data, and not cheap.

I am greatly generalizing, as everyplace is unique in what is or is not available. BUT, the good news is, a simple google search for insternet service providers in your area is a good place to start.

I reluctantly mention dial-up as it is still around, just it is really slow. BUT, if ya litterally have nothing else, it IS better than nothing, if only just barely.

Enough ramble. Hope things imporve for ya. 

IF the FCC's idea to make safelink include low cost internet, they may expand it to areas with little to no service. Something to hope for, anyways.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.